The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Biology Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking there will be some questions on the heart and inheritance considering they're fairly big topics and didn't really come up in the June 2013 paper, maybe transcription/translation, perhaps the structures of starch/glycogen/cellulose, possibly atherosclerosis, enzymes, structural levels of proteins. I'm assuming they won't ask about the DCPIP and Vitamin C investigation as that was last year's one, but who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
I think the beetroot experiment might come up. It hasn't come up for a while.
Reply 22
Don't forget to go through the January 2014 IAL paper guys, it was a solid one! How's everyone doing revision wise?
Reply 23
Can anybody tell me the method of the effect of enzyme concentration on rate of reaction core practical? I'm not too sure on it.

I feel like I knew everything for unit 1 but last week I had 6 exams so didn't go over anything now it's all gone out of my mind :frown:

Hoping I get a B on this paper and I can manage to get an A on Unit 2 as I've got a whole week purely to revise for that as it's my last exam!
Reply 24
Original post by Navo D.
Don't forget to go through the January 2014 IAL paper guys, it was a solid one! How's everyone doing revision wise?

whats that?
Reply 25
Can you write your answers as bullet points?
Reply 26
Original post by lucy97
Can anybody tell me the method of the effect of enzyme concentration on rate of reaction core practical? I'm not too sure on it.

Here's a demonstration of it: [video="youtube;rABpkD42Ap4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABpkD42Ap4[/video]
Reply 27
Does anyone have a method for answering those questions in the exams about interpreting data/describing a graph? I've always dropped marks on them in the mocks because I always seem to talk about the wrong bit of the graph, or mention completely different things than what's on the mark scheme.
Reply 28
Original post by munirka2
Can you write your answers as bullet points?

I think so :smile: just be careful though, make sure you develop your points. Probably best to avoid bullet pointing for the longer answers, so avoid it in 4-6 markers!
Reply 29
Original post by LyreBirds
Does anyone have a method for answering those questions in the exams about interpreting data/describing a graph? I've always dropped marks on them in the mocks because I always seem to talk about the wrong bit of the graph, or mention completely different things than what's on the mark scheme.

always state the obvious trend first, then maybe compare two points. Always manipulate the data as that will get you a mark if nothing else :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by lucy97
always state the obvious trend first, then maybe compare two points. Always manipulate the data as that will get you a mark if nothing else :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 31
is this exam wed 21/05?
Original post by LyreBirds
Anyone else on here doing this exam?

yes.. is anyone else just clueless about this or?
This is a retake :frown:. I have a feeling I'll do rubbish again. I hate biology
Reply 34
so I kind of know the content but when I do past papers I cant seem to get any marks because they award marks for things that I would never think of including and its almost not really relevant to the question. Anyone have a method for answering the questions in general? much appreciated
Original post by anna128
so I kind of know the content but when I do past papers I cant seem to get any marks because they award marks for things that I would never think of including and its almost not really relevant to the question. Anyone have a method for answering the questions in general? much appreciated

Usually if i cant think of nothing else, what I do is elaborate and answer according to the question. So I'll go into more detail and write everythig about it. I make sure to add specific keywords applying to the questions. You don't know where you'll get the mark. For example, what is the role of the mRNA in translation?

Answer: synthesises an amino sequence by complementary base pairing with the anti codons on tRNA

Elaboration; mRNA is attached to ribosomes and and has U instead of T. The amino acid on tRNA after complementary base pairing, joins by peptide bonds

So when I have nothing else to add an I don't feel like I've answered the question properly - this is what I do.

Ps: I'm in rush so this is not a well thought out answer.
Reply 36
Original post by anna128

I've found this with some of the exam questions too. I agree with everything EggsterminateMe has said. Also always try and include the specific terms, not just describing the process but including the key words, you can often loose marks if their missing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeaa.. I'm I feel ready . Doing past papers and revising the marks scheme really helps . :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by EggsterminateMe
This is a retake :frown:. I have a feeling I'll do rubbish again. I hate biology

Same, I am also resitting this unit I HAVE to get an A in this paper. :frown:
You guys does anyone have a definition sheet for unit 1 ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending