The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Biology Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by munirka2
Can you write your answers as bullet points?

yep i think you can but not for the ones with the * by them, on the front of the paper it says they mark those questions depending on how well it's written, etc.

This is taken from the front of a past paper:

Questions labelled with an asterisk (*) are ones where the quality of your written communication will be assessed
you should take particular care with your spelling, punctuation and grammar, as well as the clarity of expression, on these questions.
Reply 41
Original post by Qtj987
is this exam wed 21/05?

Yeah! ie, tomorrow morning! :s-smilie:
Original post by Monki1
Same, I am also resitting this unit I HAVE to get an A in this paper. :frown:

Same. My life depends on the A. I just need at least an overall B in AS and them hopefully I can get the A's in 6Bio4 and 6Bio5
Can someone please explain the following :

How amino acids join together, to form the 3D structure of a protein ???

- Thanks
Original post by lucy97
I think so :smile: just be careful though, make sure you develop your points. Probably best to avoid bullet pointing for the longer answers, so avoid it in 4-6 markers!

You can as long as it's not the QWC question:smile:
Original post by Monki1
Same, I am also resitting this unit I HAVE to get an A in this paper. :frown:

Same. I need a B grade overall for as and then aiming for As on 6bio4 and 6bio5.
I'm seriously going to hate it if they ask too many question on CF. they've asked enough last year.
Can anyone please please explain this question.Not the answer the question. I actually don't understand what is says:confused:

Explain how the primary structure of an enzyme determines its three-dimensional (tertiary) structure and its properties.
Reply 48
Original post by Me123456789
Can anyone please please explain this question.Not the answer the question. I actually don't understand what is says:confused:

Explain how the primary structure of an enzyme determines its three-dimensional (tertiary) structure and its properties.

I think this is talking about how the different R groups in the primary structure of a protein (amino acid) bond to form the 3d shape. Also the tertiary structure could be an enzyme so where the bonds form depends on whether the substrate can match..

Kinda answered it but hopefully it helps :smile:
Original post by EggsterminateMe
I'm seriously going to hate it if they ask too many question on CF. they've asked enough last year.

Agreed :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Tha Realest
Can someone please explain the following :

How amino acids join together, to form the 3D structure of a protein ???

- Thanks

The amino acids are linked into a polypeptide chain by peptide bonds. Hydrogen bonds form between the amino acids in the chain changing the overall shape (into a beta pleated sheet or an alpha helix for example), further bonds form between the in the amino acid and change the shape further. This may be the final 3D structure of a protein, or it may form bonds between itself and other polypeptide chains to reach it's final 3D structure.

(something like that? may not be quite right, wrote in rush)
Original post by Changing Skies

That was a hard paper too. I just hope the grade boundaries are lower this year
Reply 52
Original post by LyreBirds
Does anyone have a method for answering those questions in the exams about interpreting data/describing a graph? I've always dropped marks on them in the mocks because I always seem to talk about the wrong bit of the graph, or mention completely different things than what's on the mark scheme.

I have the exact same issue. Any advice would be appreciated.
guys can you explain diff between tunica media tunica intima?
Please can anyone explain the following ...

How a gene mutation causes a build up of mucus in the respiratory system,
of a person with cystic fibrosis ???

- Cheers
Original post by LyreBirds
The amino acids are linked into a polypeptide chain by peptide bonds. Hydrogen bonds form between the amino acids in the chain changing the overall shape (into a beta pleated sheet or an alpha helix for example), further bonds form between the in the amino acid and change the shape further. This may be the final 3D structure of a protein, or it may form bonds between itself and other polypeptide chains to reach it's final 3D structure.

(something like that? may not be quite right, wrote in rush)

There are also marks awarded for naming the bonds in the 3d structure: sulphur bridges, ionic bonds, hydrogen bonds and hydrophilic/hydrophobic interactions.

A further mark on top of that is awarded for saying that these bonds in the tertiary structure are formed between the R groups of different amino acids
Original post by Tiam.N
I have the exact same issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

What i usually do is describe the trend in the graph backing it with an example. That 2 marks right there.

And then I try and spot the unusal thing about the trend- like an outlier or maybe the line does not start at 0 or something or maybe That should usually get you 3 marks.

- Cheers

If you have the Edexcel biology book AS, you can use page 74 to answer the question but here's what I would say:

o What happens is that in a person with CF, the CFTR channel protein may not function properly or will be absent.
o This means the Chloride ions in the cell cannot go through the CFTR Channel protein (as they usually do) and into the mucus.
o When the CFTR Channel protein is open, the sodium ion channel closes. But in a person with CF the sodium ion channel is open as the CFTR channel is obviously not working properly.
o This means that Sodium ions will continously flow into the cell.
o As there is a high concentration of sodium and chloride ions in the cell, water will also leave the mucus and enter the cell by omosis to balance the concentration.
o This will leave the mucus sticky and make it harder for the cilia to beat properly

*someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

- Cheers

There should be marks awarded for:

1. Gene mutation changes the sequence of bases
2. Changes in the primary structure (order of amino acids, coded for by the bases)
3. Changes in the folding on the protein (an additional mark is given for stating it is the CFTR protein), so the CFTR protein is faulty/doesn't function properly
4. CFTR protein cannot pump Cl- ions into the mucus via the apical membrane
5. Water does not move out of cell into mucus via osmosis, as there is not a higher water potential in the cell.
6. Na+ ions are continuously pumped out.
7. Lack of water in mucus makes it sticky

That should be all the points :smile:
Original post by Paras Agarwal
guys can you explain diff between tunica media tunica intima?

The veins and arteries consist of 3 layers. The inner most layer is the tunica intima, the middle layer is called the tunica media (and the outer layer is the tunica externa).

The tunica intima is a single layer of folded squamous epithelial cells.

The tunica media is the thickest layer and is made of elastic tissue and muscle fibres
Original post by isabelfinn
The veins and arteries consist of 3 layers. The inner most layer is the tunica intima, the middle layer is called the tunica media (and the outer layer is the tunica externa).

The tunica intima is a single layer of folded squamous epithelial cells.

The tunica media is the thickest layer and is made of elastic tissue and muscle fibres

thank yaa! u seem reeeally prepared! ur sitting the IAL paper or GCE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending