The Student Room Group

Eating lunch on your own

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Origami Bullets
The sympathy glances that I was referring to were in restaurants when travelling for work, as I do on a fairly regular basis. If you've got a decent expenses allowance, as I have, you're not just going to get a £3 Subway, you're going to go somewhere where the food will be decent, and invariably speaking that means a restaurant where people don't normally eat alone.

I have plenty of friends, it's just that when I'm travelling for work, none of them are in the same city. Unlike sailors, I don't have a 'girl in every port', so to speak.

As for eating alone on campus, my friends are almost all on different courses and so they're on different schedules, or on the other side of campus. It essentially becomes far more effort than it's worth to try and meet up with them for half an hour. Those friends that I do have on my course are often not taking the same modules / are going home for lunch / the lectures and tutorials aren't at a time when you'd normally go for lunch afterwards, and as I've only ever had 6-14 hours of teaching a week, there's quite a lot of capacity for those situations to occur.

Lol sorry, it seems like you think I was insulting you. I definitely wasn't!

My post was basically saying that if I see someone eating alone, I definitely don't assume that they have no friends. :p:
Reply 41
It's definitely just a high school fear (mainly for girls)

People don't really care when you get older, such as at university
We all have different schedules, so it's common and not "uncool" to be eating alone

Personally I love it - even in high school sometimes I'd just wander off
There's no need to be so dependent on people; sometimes it is nice to just be alone for a little while.

However, the notion of sitting alone in classes/lectures is interesting even at university
A lot of girls, even guys sometimes hate sitting alone in lectures
Again, as an independent, I only really have one serious friend on my course so it isn't uncommon for me to be sat alone
And again, I don't care
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Lol sorry, it seems like you think I was insulting you. I definitely wasn't!

My post was basically saying that if I see someone eating alone, I definitely don't assume that they have no friends. :p:

Oops, it was a long day, and I may have thought you were :redface: (the internet forum moderator stereotype isn't actually true!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
First world problems, guys! :rolleyes:
Most students will have time when their schedules don't match other people's perfectly, and they don't have time to go home for lunch. This means it's common to see people eating alone in cafes and stuff around campus.

Most people will eat with friends at least some of the time, but it's not a problem, and campuses are usually big enough that you'll only see strangers, so what does it matter if they see you eating alone?

It really isn't a big deal.
The thought of eating alone would have been daunting to me in secondary school because I suppose it's quite unusual to eat alone there since there's only the one location you can really go to eat - i.e, the cafeteria. I'm not too bothered about it at Uni, it's definitely a lot more common. You'd probably save a lot of money just taking in some sandwiches or something and eating by yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending