How to get an A* in English Literature

Watch
xoflower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing OCR. On Tuesday I had A view from the bridge and To kill a mockingbird. On Thursday I have Carol Ann Duffy poetry and Pride and Prejudice.

Does anyone have tips on how to get an A*?
How to structure essays?
Etc

I normally get As and Bs in my essays.
xoflower
Rep:
?
Help please
victoria.98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xoflower)
Help please
I'm doing Inspector Calls and To Kill a Mockingbird and then the following day P&P and Carol Ann Duffy poetry too!

I think the key to the essays is to keep your introduction short, and make some good, key points that stand out from the others. I would say start the essay off by saying: "This extract is from..." and state whereabouts in the novel/play it has been taken from, then say why it's important/has been chosen and a sentence including a quotation - just to show off

Main paragraphs, focus on AO2!! - this is so so important! Every quotation you chose just follow it by "this word suggests..." so for example, if you're in the TKAM exam and you got the trial extract and there's a part where Heck Tate is speaking to Tom Robinson and referring to him as "boy" you could analyse this further by saying the word "boy" suggests that he is a child, and is of lower status that the others living in Maycomb, therefore illustrating the segregation of the town and the ways in which people judge one another based on colour and appearance (that was awful, but you get the idea...)

Just don't spend too long planning, as soon as you get the extract, get your highlighter out and highlight the key quotations/words and come up with 4 good paragraph ideas and then have a topic sentence for each (e.g. Harper Lee makes it dramatic and revealing when Scout...blah blah blah)

Also remember to bring in context, don't just refer to racism, mention how the Great Depression effected the people of Maycomb, talk about all aspects of the community so for example, the Missionary Tea Party, you could mention Miss Maudie and how her views are similar to Atticus' and also remember to bring in the narrative voice of Scout.

I'm sorry that most of these examples are from To Kill a Mockingbird, but it's the novel I'm usually best at (fingers crossed). On my English Literature mocks, I got an A* for my P&P and a C for English Language, so I must have done something right, let's hope it works out for us both on exam day!

Best of luck!
xoflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by victoria.98)
I'm doing Inspector Calls and To Kill a Mockingbird and then the following day P&P and Carol Ann Duffy poetry too!

I think the key to the essays is to keep your introduction short, and make some good, key points that stand out from the others. I would say start the essay off by saying: "This extract is from..." and state whereabouts in the novel/play it has been taken from, then say why it's important/has been chosen and a sentence including a quotation - just to show off

Main paragraphs, focus on AO2!! - this is so so important! Every quotation you chose just follow it by "this word suggests..." so for example, if you're in the TKAM exam and you got the trial extract and there's a part where Heck Tate is speaking to Tom Robinson and referring to him as "boy" you could analyse this further by saying the word "boy" suggests that he is a child, and is of lower status that the others living in Maycomb, therefore illustrating the segregation of the town and the ways in which people judge one another based on colour and appearance (that was awful, but you get the idea...)

Just don't spend too long planning, as soon as you get the extract, get your highlighter out and highlight the key quotations/words and come up with 4 good paragraph ideas and then have a topic sentence for each (e.g. Harper Lee makes it dramatic and revealing when Scout...blah blah blah)

Also remember to bring in context, don't just refer to racism, mention how the Great Depression effected the people of Maycomb, talk about all aspects of the community so for example, the Missionary Tea Party, you could mention Miss Maudie and how her views are similar to Atticus' and also remember to bring in the narrative voice of Scout.

I'm sorry that most of these examples are from To Kill a Mockingbird, but it's the novel I'm usually best at (fingers crossed). On my English Literature mocks, I got an A* for my P&P and a C for English Language, so I must have done something right, let's hope it works out for us both on exam day!

Best of luck!
aww thanks, this is so helpful I get A's in to kill a mockingbird, so hopefully this will boost up my grade

what do you think of this essay structure:
Intro
3x Paragraph on language in the extract
1x Structure
1x Form
(and I will link each point to racism, great depression etc)
Conclusion

How do you think you will structure your essay?
victoria.98
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xoflower)
aww thanks, this is so helpful I get A's in to kill a mockingbird, so hopefully this will boost up my grade

what do you think of this essay structure:
Intro
3x Paragraph on language in the extract
1x Structure
1x Form
(and I will link each point to racism, great depression etc)
Conclusion

How do you think you will structure your essay?
No problem at all!

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the form, and you could always just incorporate that with the structure.

I'm going to do:

Introduction
Topic Sentence x 4 (4 Main Paragraphs)
Conclusion

Each of my paragraphs which just be a separate point!
xoflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by victoria.98)
No problem at all!

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the form, and you could always just incorporate that with the structure.

I'm going to do:

Introduction
Topic Sentence x 4 (4 Main Paragraphs)
Conclusion

Each of my paragraphs which just be a separate point!
Okay, i'll just do that instead , so do you think the examiners will mind if we just have 4 main points?
victoria.98
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my opinion 4 detailed, and good points are better than 5 weak ones...

In my mock I did 3 main, and my 4th was pretty weak due to time, and as I said for P&P I managed to get an A*...I don't really remember how exactly (:P) but, I didn't revise, I just took it as it came on the day and it seemed to work out okay...

Try not to panic, I think 4 main points with an introduction and conclusion should be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed