Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can't find any threads for this exam. How much have people revised and what techniques are you using to remember things? Are there any topics you think may come up like for the 5/6 mark questions?

ReputationRep:
    I've revised a fair bit, starting to feel ready to sit the exam now.
    Doing tonnes of past papers today, but I've got a few days to revise.
    Using mind maps, diagrams and flash cards.
    Hoping for questions on; control of the cardiac cycle, phagocytosis, the immune response, electron microscopes as they're all relatively easy for me.
    Hoping there won't be too much on organelles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mils88)
    I've revised a fair bit, starting to feel ready to sit the exam now.
    Doing tonnes of past papers today, but I've got a few days to revise.
    Using mind maps, diagrams and flash cards.
    Hoping for questions on; control of the cardiac cycle, phagocytosis, the immune response, electron microscopes as they're all relatively easy for me.
    Hoping there won't be too much on organelles
    Thanks

organelles always come up like a 2 mark on name x and what is its function and they haven't asked about ultracentrifugation or cell fractionation for a while so maybe revise those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fantagurl)
    Thanks

organelles always come up like a 2 mark on name x and what is its function and they haven't asked about ultracentrifugation or cell fractionation for a while so maybe revise those
    What could they ask about electron microscopes ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow96)
    Just advantages (of TEM)
    : higher resolution
    : can see structure of cell (organelles)

or disadvantages
    :cannot scan surface

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to get a little worries now though... There is so much stuffffff and all the application questions kill me haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused, so there only 1 type of antibodies on 1 type of B cells but there are many different receptor molecules on T cells, is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cycahm)
    I'm really confused, so there only 1 type of antibodies on 1 type of B cells but there are many different receptor molecules on T cells, is that right?

Just write the word specific and you'll probably get the marks lol..

umm I'm not entirely sure what you mean though in all seriousness...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow96)
    usually they ask why would they use an electron microscope which is an easy two marks to gain:

1. You get a high resolution
    2. For a short wavelength of light

ReputationRep:
    I believe there are T cells and these have receptors which are specific to certain antigens.
    these antigens can be found on the surface of phagocytes which have just undergone phagocytosis. Once the helper T cell finds the correct antigen, it will multiply by mitosis to form clones, these clones will:
    -develop into memory cells
    or
    -stimulate phagocytes
    Or
    -stimulate B cells
    or
    -kill infected cells

ReputationRep:
    if anyone can be bothered to do a summary of specific immunity including like how it can be used to give vaccines and all the rest please reply we only finished biology last week cos my teacher was awful and we skipped passed loads on detail ?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cycahm)
    you don't need to know it in that much detail for unit 1, you just have to know that a T cell has a receptor

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions on the last 5 mark questions??

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to know it in that much detail for unit 1, you just have to know that a T cell has a receptor
    ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Can't find any threads for this exam. How much have people revised and what techniques are you using to remember things? Are there any topics you think may come up like for the 5/6 mark questions?
    I revised everything, but tbh I'm quite nervous. I really want to get an A in this. Anyway yesterday, I made a list of 5 mark question that came up since 2010.. and noticed that some of them are the same questions but in a different form.. So they could repeat one and if you've done enough past papers, you'll be able to do it Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I've got the exam in 5 hours -.- I'm still not asleep because I'm worried I'm missing out stuff.
    I've just done all the past papers
    Ultracentrifugation hasn't come up - so it may come up on this exam

ReputationRep:
    Do come back guys to post Q&A please..

ReputationRep:
    Just pulled an all-nighter! Oh boy this should go great today

ReputationRep:
    Well that was pretty different!

ReputationRep:
    What did people say for the first 5 marker about Maltese ?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2014

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.