Could you mark my Of Mice and Men essay for GCSE?

Watch this thread
ofmiceandmark
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
How does John Steinbeck present different types of strength and weaknesses in Of Mice and Men? [20]

Steinbeck presents many different messages throughout the novel, he uses the idea of the American Dream to reveal how life was at the time in America. This is evidently used to show the strengths and weaknesses in many characters in the novel, whether it be wealth or pride, or hatred and loneliness.
One way in which Steinbeck presents one type of strength in the novel is through the character Slim. From the quote “God-like” it reveals to the reader how, even without the wealth and riches, Slim is a strong character who is respected by others in the Ranch. The simile used helps the reader to imagine how much power Slim has just by the way he looks, it also shows us how kind-hearted and gentle Slim actually is. This is very indifferent to many other characters on the Ranch, Slim is presented as Steinbeck’s idea of how people should have been in America during the 1920s-30s. In my opinion, i think Steinbeck created Slim to show the readers the ideal type of strength that he would have wanted people to have at this time during The Great Depression.
However, Steinbeck presents the character of Crooks with both strength and weakness in the novel. The quote “pleasure in his torture” shows the reader how Crooks’ attempts at showing his strength is by inflicting pain on others like it has been inflicted on him. The use of the word “ pleasure” shows how he is abusing the strong power he has over Lennie, and how he is in a way, showing how he is not strong enough to treat others with respect. This is similar to how Crooks’ main weakness is shown through the colour of his skin. At this time in America, black people were treated as weak and undesirable. This is shown in the quote “I’m just a black guy,” the word “just” reveals to the reader how being coloured is what Crooks’ is known for. It shows us how, despite being a knowledgeable character, which could be shown by the amount of books he has, he is treated as if he is nothing. Steinbeck uses this to show how Crooks’ type of weakness is something that he cannot control, he wanted to show us how America though that coloured people could never be strong. This is because at this time, many people were discriminated against, Crooks for example is a victim of racism.
In addition, another way Steinbeck shows different types of strengths and weakness is through the character Lennie. Lennie, by his appearance is a very strong and big character, this can be shown in the simile “strong as a bull,” this is used to show how Lennie is a very powerful character by appearance. Steinbeck wanted the reader to understand how, even if you are weak-minded or vulnerable, you can still have some king of strength. In my opinion, think Steinbeck wanted to show us how initially, Lennie is a very courageous and brave character, until the throughout the novel it is revealed how weak he actually is. Steinbeck uses this type of weakness to show how vulnerable someone with a disability actually is. The quote “dumb” and “like a terrier” reveals different types of weaknesses Lennie actually has. The word “dumb” suggests his inability to process thoughts properly, as well as revealing his disability. The simile “like a terrier” shows how Lennie is, by personality, like a small animal that needs a master. This, in my opinion, could reveal how Lennie is only strong when he has George to look after him. Steinbeck did this to show how, even though Lennie was strong on the outside, his disability made him become easily controlled and easily manipulated by other characters. This is because at the time many people who were disabled were immediately targeted by others, this is shown through Steinbeck’s message of ‘the weak don’t survive” which foreshadows immediately how Lennie’s weakness makes him prone to trouble.
Overall, Steinbeck presents many different types of strengths and weakness in the novel. He cleverly does this to suggest to the reader how America in the 1920s-30s was stuck in a system of discrimination and vulnerability to the weak.

Could i have a grade or mark out of 20? sorry for the length
flou_fboco2
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ofmiceandmark)
How does John Steinbeck present different types of strength and weaknesses in Of Mice and Men? [20]

Steinbeck presents many different messages throughout the novel, he uses the idea of the American Dream to reveal how life was at the time in America. This is evidently used to show the strengths and weaknesses in many characters in the novel, whether it be wealth or pride, or hatred and loneliness.
One way in which Steinbeck presents one type of strength in the novel is through the character Slim. From the quote “God-like” it reveals to the reader how, even without the wealth and riches, Slim is a strong character who is respected by others in the Ranch. The simile used helps the reader to imagine how much power Slim has just by the way he looks, it also shows us how kind-hearted and gentle Slim actually is. This is very indifferent to many other characters on the Ranch, Slim is presented as Steinbeck’s idea of how people should have been in America during the 1920s-30s. In my opinion, i think Steinbeck created Slim to show the readers the ideal type of strength that he would have wanted people to have at this time during The Great Depression.
However, Steinbeck presents the character of Crooks with both strength and weakness in the novel. The quote “pleasure in his torture” shows the reader how Crooks’ attempts at showing his strength is by inflicting pain on others like it has been inflicted on him. The use of the word “ pleasure” shows how he is abusing the strong power he has over Lennie, and how he is in a way, showing how he is not strong enough to treat others with respect. This is similar to how Crooks’ main weakness is shown through the colour of his skin. At this time in America, black people were treated as weak and undesirable. This is shown in the quote “I’m just a black guy,” the word “just” reveals to the reader how being coloured is what Crooks’ is known for. It shows us how, despite being a knowledgeable character, which could be shown by the amount of books he has, he is treated as if he is nothing. Steinbeck uses this to show how Crooks’ type of weakness is something that he cannot control, he wanted to show us how America though that coloured people could never be strong. This is because at this time, many people were discriminated against, Crooks for example is a victim of racism.
In addition, another way Steinbeck shows different types of strengths and weakness is through the character Lennie. Lennie, by his appearance is a very strong and big character, this can be shown in the simile “strong as a bull,” this is used to show how Lennie is a very powerful character by appearance. Steinbeck wanted the reader to understand how, even if you are weak-minded or vulnerable, you can still have some king of strength. In my opinion, think Steinbeck wanted to show us how initially, Lennie is a very courageous and brave character, until the throughout the novel it is revealed how weak he actually is. Steinbeck uses this type of weakness to show how vulnerable someone with a disability actually is. The quote “dumb” and “like a terrier” reveals different types of weaknesses Lennie actually has. The word “dumb” suggests his inability to process thoughts properly, as well as revealing his disability. The simile “like a terrier” shows how Lennie is, by personality, like a small animal that needs a master. This, in my opinion, could reveal how Lennie is only strong when he has George to look after him. Steinbeck did this to show how, even though Lennie was strong on the outside, his disability made him become easily controlled and easily manipulated by other characters. This is because at the time many people who were disabled were immediately targeted by others, this is shown through Steinbeck’s message of ‘the weak don’t survive” which foreshadows immediately how Lennie’s weakness makes him prone to trouble.
Overall, Steinbeck presents many different types of strengths and weakness in the novel. He cleverly does this to suggest to the reader how America in the 1920s-30s was stuck in a system of discrimination and vulnerability to the weak.

Could i have a grade or mark out of 20? sorry for the length
have you tried mark by teachers? that might be more helpful than this site for this
ofmiceandmark
Rep:
(Original post by flou_fboco2)
have you tried mark by teachers? that might be more helpful than this site for this
Hi, sorry my English exam is on Monday so my teacher won't be able to mark it in time
Rubato
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
^ I think they meant the website markedbyteachers
flou_fboco2
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ofmiceandmark)
Hi, sorry my English exam is on Monday so my teacher won't be able to mark it in time
no its a website markedbyteacher.com
sorry if i was unclear
ofmiceandmark
Rep:
(Original post by flou_fboco2)
no its a website markedbyteacher.com
sorry if i was unclear
oh sorry!! thank you I'll go on it now!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
28.3%
Take a gap year (16)
15.09%
Resit my exams (29)
27.36%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (15)
14.15%
I don't know yet (11)
10.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.72%

Watched Threads