superdarklord
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm really in a state of confusion so I would appreciate any help. Basically I'm doing my GCSEs right now and have picked my future A level choices which are maths, economics, biology and chemistry.

However, I do like maths and have been doing additional maths this year and my teachers have been urging me to strongly consider physics.

I guess I'm sort of put off because of the fact physics is sort of infamous as being difficult. I have to make a decision quickly though and I am wondering of I should swap biology for physics.

Any advice on this, or if any of you have taken either subject, I would really appreciate it if you can tell me which one you enjoy.
Thank you soo much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ben6597
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep do it. Physics and maths go beautifully together. Plus I really enjoyed the physics coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile
superdarklord
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben6597)
Yep do it. Physics and maths go beautifully together. Plus I really enjoyed the physics coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it really difficult? What exactly does it consist of? Sorry for these subjective questions I just can't seem to get an actual opinion from teachers, they're highly biased

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're doing "difficult" subjects anyway, physics isn't an isolated case - you're likely very capable if you're strong at maths, and if you're interested. The mechanics modules in maths work well with physics.

Any ideas what you want to do further? Physics is better if you're going down a maths route, biology and physics each have their own role in chemistry, economics is really relevant to the maths rather than the others so again, either science is fine. Obviously physics opens up more engineering routes, and biology opens up biological ones. If you want to do maths or engineering sort of things then the additional maths is very recommended.

With chemistry degrees you'll probably have to do some introductory physics or biology during first year chem, i'd probably argue physics is slightly more useful as it underpins more of the core modules, but my university seems to have a sneak in quite a lot of work towards the biochem side as well.

Are you interested, or are you just thinking about this because people are telling you you should be? If your interest is in biology then do that. Theoretically, I should be perfectly capable to study physics, but in reality i'm a disaster because I have almost no interest in it.
naomi2409
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Physics coursework (in edexcel) is a lot easier than biology coursework. Physics coursework is like doing an experiment and then writing it up on paper & doesn't take that long. I've heard biology is pages long and is done on the computer
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Physics over Biology any day.

I find physics 100000x easier than bio, because you learn skills and apply them to questions.

Bio is just tonnes of rote learnt crap.
superdarklord
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nymthae)
You're doing "difficult" subjects anyway, physics isn't an isolated case - you're likely very capable if you're strong at maths, and if you're interested. The mechanics modules in maths work well with physics.

Any ideas what you want to do further? Physics is better if you're going down a maths route, biology and physics each have their own role in chemistry, economics is really relevant to the maths rather than the others so again, either science is fine. Obviously physics opens up more engineering routes, and biology opens up biological ones. If you want to do maths or engineering sort of things then the additional maths is very recommended.

With chemistry degrees you'll probably have to do some introductory physics or biology during first year chem, i'd probably argue physics is slightly more useful as it underpins more of the core modules, but my university seems to have a sneak in quite a lot of work towards the biochem side as well.

Are you interested, or are you just thinking about this because people are telling you you should be? If your interest is in biology then do that. Theoretically, I should be perfectly capable to study physics, but in reality i'm a disaster because I have almost no interest in it.
I don't really have much of an interest in biology to be honest. I do seem to be leaning towards physics however I previously never even considered it which is why I'm apprehensive to 100% go for it. I don't think I want to do anything medical so in that sense biology may not be the best choice I guess.

If I do, for example, decide on taking physics. Is it preferable to change to maths Mechanics instead of stats?

(Original post by naomi2409)
Physics coursework (in edexcel) is a lot easier than biology coursework. Physics coursework is like doing an experiment and then writing it up on paper & doesn't take that long. I've heard biology is pages long and is done on the computer
Oh so you do get coursework at A level? Sorry I'm completely clueless

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Physics over Biology any day.

I find physics 100000x easier than bio, because you learn skills and apply them to questions.

Bio is just tonnes of rote learnt crap.
Yeah, I have heard that it is tons of memorising which definitely isn't my preferred method of learning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by superdarklord)
I don't really have much of an interest in biology to be honest. I do seem to be leaning towards physics however I previously never even considered it which is why I'm apprehensive to 100% go for it. I don't think I want to do anything medical so in that sense biology may not be the best choice I guess.

If I do, for example, decide on taking physics. Is it preferable to change to maths Mechanics instead of stats?

Oh so you do get coursework at A level? Sorry I'm completely clueless

Yeah, I have heard that it is tons of memorising which definitely isn't my preferred method of learning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably roll with physics then, if you're not fussed about biology. I think it fits better with your other choices. You can still access some areas of biology-related research and industries, but from a chemical side if you opt for things like chemistry and occasionally ChemEng later on anyway. If you have no plans for it then it's not a problem to leave it behind.

Mechanics ties in with physics more. It kind of depends which way your college teaches it as to which way it will help - either physics will help your maths, or maths will help your physics depending on the order of teaching. Either way, it's handy. I have no idea if statistics may be more worthwhile though, from an economics perspective. Given you'll have most of the mechanics knowledge from physics, maybe covering all bases is better. I'd probably go with mechanics though, and make your life easier. It doesn't matter too much which you do though.

Science "coursework" depends on the exam board - OCR/AQA just have practical experiments you do under controlled conditions and answer some questions on it. Other boards do longer things, not too familiar myself. I know OCR Salters B involves a significant project (this was chemistry) so just go with whatever your college/school says happens.
emmalav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I find biology a lot easier than physics ! But that's not to say that physics is really interesting and it goes hand in hand with some A-Level maths topics especially mechanics. Physics does involve a lot of math based topics but it also involves learning factual information. I think if you stay on top of physics and ensure that you understand everything during the year that it should be fine !
naomi2409
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nymthae)
Probably roll with physics then, if you're not fussed about biology. I think it fits better with your other choices. You can still access some areas of biology-related research and industries, but from a chemical side if you opt for things like chemistry and occasionally ChemEng later on anyway. If you have no plans for it then it's not a problem to leave it behind.

Mechanics ties in with physics more. It kind of depends which way your college teaches it as to which way it will help - either physics will help your maths, or maths will help your physics depending on the order of teaching. Either way, it's handy. I have no idea if statistics may be more worthwhile though, from an economics perspective. Given you'll have most of the mechanics knowledge from physics, maybe covering all bases is better. I'd probably go with mechanics though, and make your life easier. It doesn't matter too much which you do though.

Science "coursework" depends on the exam board - OCR/AQA just have practical experiments you do under controlled conditions and answer some questions on it. Other boards do longer things, not too familiar myself. I know OCR Salters B involves a significant project (this was chemistry) so just go with whatever your college/school says happens.

Definitely take Mechanics instead of Statistics. I did Stats with physics at AS but i didnt have a choice. I wish I did Mechanics in AS with physics instead of doing it at A2, it really helps especially if you are good at maths and not too sure what to expect with Physics.
superdarklord
Rep:
?
Thanks guys for all the help I really appreciate it x

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (92)
50%
No (92)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise