Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone taking this exam on monday? Its the Biology B1, B2 and B3 exam higher tier. If so are you prepared?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am. I'm ever so slightly prepared, but there's still a long way that I have to go in preparation, if I want to get a good grade. Here are my predictions for the 6 mark questions:

B1 - the process of immunisation or homeostasis, though I think the first one is more likely.

B2 - Nitrogen cycle or indicator species - not too sure about this one.

B3 - something to do with the blood, heart or the structure of the blood vessels

Let's hope I'm right - or else I'll be totally embarrassed, aha.

How are you feeling about Monday - prepared?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what about the central nervous system for b1
    b2 could be meiosis and/or mitosis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikki1234)
    what about the central nervous system for b1
    b2 could be meiosis and/or mitosis
    That's true, but CNS has already come up (slightly). How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kingaaran;47647359]That's true, but CNS has already come up (slightly). How's your revision going?

not very well, I have 5 exams tommorrow

ReputationRep:
    I think I am pretty much prepared for it. Just got to go through stuff that I don't understand so well. B3 is full of topics with advantages and disadvantages. So I think I'm going to make sure I know all of them.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Pikki1234;47647730]
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    That's true, but CNS has already come up (slightly). How's your revision going?

not very well, I have 5 exams tommorrow
    - really? And there was me feeling sorry for myself because I had two Do you think we should do a Skype call today and revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHoTz)
    I think I am pretty much prepared for it. Just got to go through stuff that I don't understand so well. B3 is full of topics with advantages and disadvantages. So I think I'm going to make sure I know all of them.
    Aha, yes, I agree. Look at my suggestion in the post above - do you think we should, perhaps, have a Skype call and revise tonight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many past papers are there for biology?

ReputationRep:
    How many past papers are there for biology?
    Plenty from the old specification and approximately 4 from our specification

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am..:banghead::banghead:
    I can't get my head around The nervous system. Other then that i'm pretty much; :afro: cool.

ReputationRep:
    Does any one have the June 2013 biology paper?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty from the old specification and approximately 4 from our specification

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How could there be a six mark question on immunisation?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am. I'm ever so slightly prepared, but there's still a long way that I have to go in preparation, if I want to get a good grade. Here are my predictions for the 6 mark questions:

B1 - the process of immunisation or homeostasis, though I think the first one is more likely.

B2 - Nitrogen cycle or indicator species - not too sure about this one.

B3 - something to do with the blood, heart or the structure of the blood vessels

Let's hope I'm right - or else I'll be totally embarrassed, aha.

How are you feeling about Monday - prepared?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was feeling slightly scared but mostly okay, UNTIL YOU MENTION ALL THE TOPICS I AM WEAK ON :'( It hurts.

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to learn the classification table with monera protista fungi...?

ReputationRep:
    How could there be a six mark question on immunisation?
    Describe the process of active immunisation and passive immunisation. You get L1 (1-2 marks) if your science is weak, L2 (3-4) if your science is good, but you only talk about one and L3 (5-6) if your science is good and you talk about both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swirly123)
    Do we need to learn the classification table with monera protista fungi...?
    You're only expected to know: Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus and species

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're only expected to know: Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus and species

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowhigh)
    I am..:banghead::banghead:
    I can't get my head around The nervous system. Other then that i'm pretty much; :afro: cool.
    Your nervous system is made up of two parts: the Central Nervous System and the Peripheral Nervous System. The first is your brain and your spinal cord and the latter refers to the part of the nervous system that takes impulses to and fro the CNS.

There are different types of nerve cells (neurones) that you need to know about:

Sensory neurones - the clue is in the name: sensory. They are the neurones that detect a smell, taste, touch or whatever and take it to the CNS.

Motor Neurones - these are neurones that carry what the brain or spinal cord tells the cell to do back to the cell, if that makes sense.

So, in general, when you think about something, this is what will happen:

Stimulus (urge to close the door) --> sensory neurone --> CNS --> motor neurone --> effector (hand muscles, by closing the door)

Sometimes, you might not think about an action, like touching a hot pan. This is called a reflex. Since you don't think about it, it won't go to your brain, but it does go to your spinal cord, so that the impulse can attach to a motor neurone going back to tell the cell what to do. This is what would happen:

Stimulus (hot pan) --> sensory neurone --> relay neurone --> motor neurone --> effector (hand muscles, by moving your hand away)

You're probably wondering where the 'relay neurone' came from, right? This is a neurone which connects the sensory neurone and the motor neurone in the spinal cord, so that the impulse doesn't have to go to the brain, and you don't have to think about it.

Let me know if you get that, then I'll continue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your nervous system is made up of two parts: the Central Nervous System and the Peripheral Nervous System. The first is your brain and your spinal cord and the latter refers to the part of the nervous system that takes impulses to and fro the CNS.

There are different types of nerve cells (neurones) that you need to know about:

Sensory neurones - the clue is in the name: sensory. They are the neurones that detect a smell, taste, touch or whatever and take it to the CNS.

Motor Neurones - these are neurones that carry what the brain or spinal cord tells the cell to do back to the cell, if that makes sense.

So, in general, when you think about something, this is what will happen:

Stimulus (urge to close the door) --> sensory neurone --> CNS --> motor neurone --> effector (hand muscles, by closing the door)

Sometimes, you might not think about an action, like touching a hot pan. This is called a reflex. Since you don't think about it, it won't go to your brain, but it does go to your spinal cord, so that the impulse can attach to a motor neurone going back to tell the cell what to do. This is what would happen:

Stimulus (hot pan) --> sensory neurone --> relay neurone --> motor neurone --> effector (hand muscles, by moving your hand away)

You're probably wondering where the 'relay neurone' came from, right? This is a neurone which connects the sensory neurone and the motor neurone in the spinal cord, so that the impulse doesn't have to go to the brain, and you don't have to think about it.

Let me know if you get that, then I'll continue

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW!!:eek:
    I've had countless people explain this to me and i didnt get it. Now from one reply it all makes sense!
    You.Are.Amazing.

Please continue, this is making sense.:awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.