The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do after the first year of A Level..

Hello to anyone reading this,

I just want to post this as I am really in a state where uncertainty has made me lose my mind. I am 17 and currently studying A-Levels, about to do my exams. The subjects I chose was Biology, Economics, Physics and Maths. I have realised that Maths is really not for me, and I believe that I will not get substantial grades. But for the rest, I am confident I will get decent grades, (B minimum for Economics as it is my favourite subject!). I have been thinking about this for a while, and I simply cannot stand going to my current sixth form anymore, I don't like how students are being treated like we are still in secondary school, the environment is not for me and it's driving me crazy! I dread going to it now more that ever. I don't like my Maths teacher AT ALL, they do little in trying to improve us and always just say "you should have learnt this at home" blah blah like seriously?! we are trying to ask for help and that's what they say to us?! Anyways, I just want to know if there's anyone who is/has been in a similar situation, I would like to know if I am allowed to move to another college perhaps and carry on my other A-Levels? or if not, can I do a different subject? maybe do study and work? I really need help, my parents support me and want me to do whatever that would make me happy and satisfied, I would really like some insight! Thanks for any advice!
Well quite a few people from yr12 in my school are leaving because they didn't realise how hard the school would work them... Anyway you could possibly enter your A2 year at another school but I can't definitely say... The best option is to call up the prospective high school/ college and see if they'll allow it and if they have any criteria.

Hope I helped:smile:
Reply 2
this is exactly what happened to me, started off the year taking biology chemistry maths and psychology, and within 2 weeks realised I hated biology so I took Spanish instead. about 3 months in and I realise I also hate maths and chemistry and have no idea why I decided to take them. luckily for me it was early enough for me to apply to other sixthforms and colleges and by now I've secured a place in a good college and am planning on taking Psychology A2 and 3 ASs (basically resitting year 12). the process for switching to a different place is quite difficult if you want to carry on to A2 if they use different boards but I found that the college took care of that for me mostly. just try your best to get your applications in asap. tbh you're lucky that you're enjoying your subjects at least because if you do end up having to stay you get to still do what you like. hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Kimmy2014
Well quite a few people from yr12 in my school are leaving because they didn't realise how hard the school would work them... Anyway you could possibly enter your A2 year at another school but I can't definitely say... The best option is to call up the prospective high school/ college and see if they'll allow it and if they have any criteria.

Hope I helped:smile:

I see, well for me I don't mind being worked hard, it's just I do not like being around the younger age groups, and we get little to no freedom at all... I'll try to apply for some, I just don't know how to go about telling my sixth form? any ideas how I can muster up the words?...

Original post by tda
this is exactly what happened to me, started off the year taking biology chemistry maths and psychology, and within 2 weeks realised I hated biology so I took Spanish instead. about 3 months in and I realise I also hate maths and chemistry and have no idea why I decided to take them. luckily for me it was early enough for me to apply to other sixthforms and colleges and by now I've secured a place in a good college and am planning on taking Psychology A2 and 3 ASs (basically resitting year 12). the process for switching to a different place is quite difficult if you want to carry on to A2 if they use different boards but I found that the college took care of that for me mostly. just try your best to get your applications in asap. tbh you're lucky that you're enjoying your subjects at least because if you do end up having to stay you get to still do what you like. hope this helps! :biggrin:

Thank you! I think I am in a similar situation as you. Can you please tell me how the application process occurred? Should I wait for my results in the summer to apply or should I do it now?
Original post by jedda96
I see, well for me I don't mind being worked hard, it's just I do not like being around the younger age groups, and we get little to no freedom at all... I'll try to apply for some, I just don't know how to go about telling my sixth form? any ideas how I can muster up the words?.

Haha my friend didn't tell any of the teachers till the last day and she went to the head of year and told her then xD she wasn't happy! I'd suggest first of all contacting the sixth form you want to attend and actually finding out if they'll accept you because you don't want to go tell the teacher and after that, you call and find out they're unable to accept you.

About talking to your teacher well.... Hmmm maybe you should take a passive approach so instead of saying "I absolutely hate it here" and listing everything you hate. Just pluck up some courage and remember what will happen after you leave: You're likely to be happier and because of this you'll be like to get better grades. So pluck up the courage and FORCE yourself to knock on your teachers door and because you've knocked you can't do anything about it because the teacher will open the door, you're at the point of no return;D

I'd probably tell the teacher that you haven't been settling in at the sixth form and you think you'd benefit more at being at another sixth form. If you were at school for high school as well, you could just say you need a change as you've been there for 6 yrs. Maybe mention you might be happier elsewere which will over all improve your grades.

If you back out once you probably won't be be able to pluck up the courage again so my advice: just for it! Remember that it'll benefit you in the long run:smile:
Reply 5
Talk to external colleges now, as they'll have made their offers for places and probably sorted their numbers. As it's quite late, they may not be keen, but give it a go. Look for colleges, rather than sixth forms if it's possible.

It's mainly sixth forms guilty of this type of "still in school" treatment. My college was largely: we'll keep an eye on your attendance, and probably come and check on you if your teachers are worried, you're failing etc. but for most of the time just get on with it, it's your life and up to you to do the work and take the actions you feel necessary. Support is there if you need it, but it's less restricting. Even things like being able to go on and off site as you like. My local sixth form bound you to stay on school grounds between classes, which seemed terrible to me.

Tell your sixth form the truth - it's not for you, you want some independence. Don't burn bridges with any teachers - it's probably a good idea to contact them for a UCAS reference if you apply to university. Speak to your tutor first, explain you want to move (and why) and then they should be able to help you from there. As above, i'd check somewhere else is willing to take you first!
You may have to resit the year depending on the exam boards at your new college. I hated my sixth form and left before the end of the year. I had to start again at a new college which I wasn't very happy about but it was the best thing for me. I was so happy and did really well. Leaving my sixth form was the best thing I could have done. Hope it works out for you :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by Nymthae
Talk to external colleges now, as they'll have made their offers for places and probably sorted their numbers. As it's quite late, they may not be keen, but give it a go. Look for colleges, rather than sixth forms if it's possible.

It's mainly sixth forms guilty of this type of "still in school" treatment. My college was largely: we'll keep an eye on your attendance, and probably come and check on you if your teachers are worried, you're failing etc. but for most of the time just get on with it, it's your life and up to you to do the work and take the actions you feel necessary. Support is there if you need it, but it's less restricting. Even things like being able to go on and off site as you like. My local sixth form bound you to stay on school grounds between classes, which seemed terrible to me.

Tell your sixth form the truth - it's not for you, you want some independence. Don't burn bridges with any teachers - it's probably a good idea to contact them for a UCAS reference if you apply to university. Speak to your tutor first, explain you want to move (and why) and then they should be able to help you from there. As above, i'd check somewhere else is willing to take you first!

Thank you for your advice! I will make sure to do that!
Reply 8
Original post by x__justmyluck
You may have to resit the year depending on the exam boards at your new college. I hated my sixth form and left before the end of the year. I had to start again at a new college which I wasn't very happy about but it was the best thing for me. I was so happy and did really well. Leaving my sixth form was the best thing I could have done. Hope it works out for you :smile:.

Thank you! I hope this doesn't have to happen haha but I'm prepare to try again if that happens!
Reply 9
Original post by jedda96
Thank you! I hope this doesn't have to happen haha but I'm prepare to try again if that happens!

I think it's unlikely to be necessary. I had a couple of people transfer into my classes for A2. I think as long as you have been awarded the AS qualification then you can transfer and take A2 under a different board. You can't resit anything etc. so your AS grade is stuck as is, but I think you should be fine. Do ask the colleges though, just to make sure.
Reply 10
sorry about the late reply! but you should definitely apply now, the college i'm going to- applications closed in January! it was basically just the same as applying for a sixthform / college: forms, interview, etc. most places will make exceptions for late applications but the later you leave it the harder it will be :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by jedda96

resitting isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's essentially what i'm doing but by the end of the next 2 year i'm going to have 4 full A levels + general studies hopefully so it's actually worked out well!
Perfectly possible to transfer even with different exam boards, as I had to do so within my sixth form this year for maths (joint schools, long story...). They just cash in your AS and transfer it over. All you need to do is just find a sixth form or college willing to do this.
Reply 13
Ah thank you all so much! I will try to sort things out as soon as possible, now I just need the courage to go and talk to my school, let's hope that they're understanding! If I need any help I hope I can just message you all! Hope you all have a good day, and summer!

Quick Reply

Latest