The Student Room Group

Learning just to pass exams.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arithmeticae
So were we, but some subjects are completely different to what I expected.

Take Engineering for example, which I thought would be about making and designing stuff, but instead was 90% based on writing long and boring reports.

Also, there are certain compulsory subjects which everyone is forced to take no matter whether or not they like them.

Finally, people might take stuff just because it's require for their career path. If you want to be a scientist, maths is pretty much essential whether you like it or not.-

Then again isn't everything pretty much 90% writing? And yes people do choose stuff because it's required for their career , but they want to get that job so in a way they are choosing what they are interested in, because it's required for the job. And there are compulsory subjects like maths English etc. but that's the governments choice, and like as if we have a say in what the government chooses. Getting back to the subject if people are not choosing what they like, then they might as well forget their gcses and stay at home
Original post by Geeky_Reader
Then again isn't everything pretty much 90% writing?

Not at all. Some subjects are much more practical than others, some are more theoretical and conceptual and some are just essay based. Different subjects need different thinks.

And yes people do choose stuff because it's required for their career , but they want to get that job so in a way they are choosing what they are interested in, because it's required for the job.

Nope, not really. A lot of the people I know are choosing A level maths not because they have an interest in the subject (in fact, some of them don't even like maths), but because they think it's required for that they want to do in the future.

And there are compulsory subjects like maths English etc. but that's the governments choice, and like as if we have a say in what the government chooses.

Well, that's why we have petitions. The government are supposed composed of MPs who should really represent the view of the people. If the government just did what they wanted without listening to what the people want, there would be no point in even establishing a government.

Getting back to the subject if people are not choosing what they like, then they might as well forget their gcses and stay at home

That's... an extremely pessimistic view to take :/
Original post by Arithmeticae
Not at all. Some subjects are much more practical than others, some are more theoretical and conceptual and some are just essay based. Different subjects need different thinks.

Nope, not really. A lot of the people I know are choosing A level maths not because they have an interest in the subject (in fact, some of them don't even like maths), but because they think it's required for that they want to do in the future.

Well, that's why we have petitions. The government are supposed composed of MPs who should really represent the view of the people. If the government just did what they wanted without listening to what the people want, there would be no point in even establishing a government.

That's... an extremely pessimistic view to take :/

Yes there are some practical subjects, that's why I said pretty much not all
If those people choose maths because they think they need it then they don't really know what they want for themselves
yes if the government doesn't listen to people's views then there really is no point in establishing a government but then again that's why some American Classics have been cut from the syllabus, that's why they are thinking about expanding the school day, that's why they are constantly lowering the teachers wages and that's why they are thinking about minimising the summer holidays, because that's what students and employees want
and I am a pessimist *shrug*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending