Do you think players lose there passion for the game?

Watch
Zeroic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thinking about there are few players who I know still probably like the game after there days, Maradona is one. But I've also read players like Batistuta hated watching football and turned it off whenever it was on TV, reason I'm bringing this up is cause of Lionel Messi, I think he's a great player, injured all season, 43 goals in 46 apps, but people says he's lost his passion, do you think it's possible that he has grown tired of the game?
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think, with the scrutiny players are placed under at every level, it would be easy for high-profile footballers to resent it after a while.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They do grow to resent it. Assou Ekotto I think it was, said once he's retired he'll never kick a ball again.
Zeroic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
They do grow to resent it. Assou Ekotto I think it was, said once he's retired he'll never kick a ball again.
I also remember Assou Okotto saying that he only plays for the money
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zeroic)
I also remember Assou Okotto saying that he only plays for the money
He did and fair play to him for admitting it.
username851717
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A fair few young players who won't make the cut for playing regular first team football (and usually end up retiring or playing in like the 10th division of English football) seem to get disillusioned with the game. I can see why though.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Assou-Ekotto said he hates football and it's purely a job for him. Fair play. He wants to play basketball in the NBA.
Zeroic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mackay)
Assou-Ekotto said he hates football and it's purely a job for him. Fair play. He wants to play basketball in the NBA.
i'd give anything to be in ekotto shoes though lol
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The most famous example of this was Tomas Brolin.

He had been training as an accountant and playing semi-pro in Sweden when he left school and then they realised he was pretty amazing and he got fast tracked in to the Sweden squad for Italia 90 when he was only 18, when he scored a great goal against Brazil. For the next five years he was one of the best forwards in Europe. He was one of the biggest names in Serie A at the time with Parma and he was great for Sweden in Euro 92 and USA 94 where Sweden were pretty strong. In 1995 Leeds signed him. This was at the time Tony Yeboah was smashing goals in from everywhere and I was at school at the time, when we heard Leeds had signed Brolin we were all like, **** Brolin playing behind Yeboah that is a scary forward line.

Brolin now always comes up in those "worst Premier League import of all time" discussions. He was absolutely garbage at Leeds, he became fat, and was totally disinterested. I think the problem was Howard Wilkinson shuffled the team around and played Brolin as a wide midfielder and had him tracking back and he just didn't like that kind of running up and down the touchline role, he was a creative attacking midfielder/forward. So he just lost interest in the game and moped about. I seem to remember him going to Palace briefly (think it was when they got Atilio Lombardo as manager who didn't speak English so they signed Brolin as his mate who could translate for him as he spoke Italian and English fluently), but he was garbage there too and he quit the game.

Then went off running his own business ventures doing various things, think he briefly had a go at professional poker too. I think Brolin was basically an intelligent guy that wasn't all about football but just found he had a massive talent so went along with it, but then when the game stopped being fun he cba with it.
Pistol 33
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thinking about there are few players who I know still probably like the game after there days, Maradona is one. But I've also read players like Batistuta hated watching football and turned it off whenever it was on TV, reason I'm bringing this up is cause of Lionel Messi, I think he's a great player, injured all season, 43 goals in 46 apps, but people says he's lost his passion, do you think it's possible that he has grown tired of the game?
Injured all season? He has the same no. of games as ronaldo this season.
Zeroic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pistol 33)
Injured all season? He has the same no. of games as ronaldo this season.
struggling with injuries
Pistol 33
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
struggling with injuries
So is ronaldo... Thats why messi has more la liga games
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think Adriano said he lost his interest in the game.
Zeroic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pistol 33)
So is ronaldo... Thats why messi has more la liga games
but ronaldo and messi have same amount of appareance and messi was sub on twice.
im not comparing the two in this thread, i'm saying about how some people are saying messi has lost interest and motivation for football now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (598)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (736)
41.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (351)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise