The Student Room Group

Curley Of Mice and Men

Analysis of Curley please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Explore the theme of fate and how Steinback uses it in OMAM to gain high marks

Discuss obvious topics like how he is despised by arguably all the characters in the novella

You can also talk about how Curley is used by Steinback to exploit the futility of the American Dream.

Here is a model answer that would give you an A*, it was written by Mr Bruff, as you probably know is famous on Youtube.

Steinbeck presents the character of Curley as a symbol of his theme of fate.
Curley is a character who is disliked by all in the novella - even his wife who confides to a docile Lennie "I don't like Curley". Indeed, Curley's actions throughout the novella are aggressive, confrontational and judgemental: he is the archetypal villain of the piece. However, despite his lack of positive attributes, Curley has a position of authority on the ranch - as the ranch owner's son, he elicits fear even in the usually calm George who asks "Slim. Is Curley's old man gonna can us?" when Lennie hurts Curley.
At first glance, the reader might be confused as to why Curley has a position of authority on the ranch, particularly when near perfect men such as 'prince of the ranch' Slim are employed in menial roles. However, Steinbeck juxtaposes the cruel Curley with the sublime Slim to highlight the theme of fate. Fate is the belief that the events which take place in our lives are pre-conceived and unavoidable. Steinbeck was so enamoured by the notion that he changed the title of the novella from its original 'Something That Happened' to its current title. 'Of Mice and Men' is a line from the Rober Burns poem 'To a Mouse', a poem concerned with fate. Steinbeck's message is clear: Curley was born the son of a ranch owner, and so is fated to live a life of relative luxury in a position of authority he clearly does not deserve. His evil actions only further exemplify just how unfit for the role Curley is.
The reader gets the impression that Curley is so used to getting his own way that he has lost his grasp on reality. It surprises us when he picks a fight with Lennie, confronting him with the question "what the hell you laughin' at?' Dramatic irony occurs at this moment as the reader clearly knows that Curley should not provoke Lennie who is as 'strong as a bull' and could easily kill Curley. It is this arrogance which soon has Curley 'flopping like a fish on a line'. It is possible to interpret Curley at this moment for a metaphor of the arrogance of the leaders of the USA. Steinbeck is here suggesting that the rich leaders of the USA have lost touch with the realities of existence. Living as he did in the tough climate of the 1930s, Steinbeck knew first hand of the suffering caused by the dust bowl and Wall Street Crash. His message is clear - those in positions of power and authority have no true grasp of the realities of existence.
Finally, Curley is a character who is used by Steinbeck to highlight the futility of the concept of the American Dream. America has always promoted itself as the land of equal opportunity, where a man can achieve anything he dreams of if he works hard enough. Curley, whose position of authority and success is indicated by the fact that 'like the boss, he wore high heeled boots' is used to dispel the concept. Unlike every other character, we never read of Curley working hard at all - he simply spends his time causing trouble and looking for his wife. However, he has a position of authority, power and superiority. Steinbeck is here showing that the American Dream is a myth - it doesn't matter how hard you work, success only comes to those who are fated to receive it.
Reply 2
Thank you for sharing!:smile:

I think the question might be something like
"Part (a) In this passage, how does Steinbeck present Curley? Refer closely to the passage in your answer.
and then Part (b)
In the rest of the novel how does Steinbeck use Curley to present ideas about society at the time the novel is set?"

With the extract been Curley's first description on page 47
Reply 3
Original post by saeranee

"Part (a) In this passage, how does Steinbeck present Curley? Refer closely to the passage in your answer.
and then Part (b)
In the rest of the novel how does Steinbeck use Curley to present ideas about society at the time the novel is set?"

How sure are you that Curley is going to come up? Because everyone is saying he will
Original post by Paige.M
How sure are you that Curley is going to come up? Because everyone is saying he will

If we're talking about WJEC, Curley came up last year so it's highly unlikely that they'll do him again

Posted from TSR Mobile

and then Part (b)

For part (b), you could mention women, authority and isolation
Are there any more ideas you could mention?
It's been ages since I've done this, but I remember a quote describing Curley as having "tightly curled hair". This is a reference to his name, and the fact he is always so wound up and tense, just itching for a fight.
Reply 7
Original post by Paige.M

Obviously i'm no certain but i think there's a pretty good chance that it will be him. Mr Bruff (search him on YouTube) predicted that it would be him since all the other characters have come up except him. I'm still going to revise other parts of the book as well just to be safe and i think everyone else should as well, but I've already practised answering that question so if it is Curley the exam will be a breeze! :smile:
I actually am hoping that it is Crooks but it's not because he has already come up but if Crooks did come up what themes would we focus on??
Obviously i'm no certain but i think there's a pretty good chance that it will be him. Mr Bruff (search him on YouTube) predicted that it would be him since all the other characters have come up except him. I'm still going to revise other parts of the book as well just to be safe and i think everyone else should as well, but I've already practised answering that question so if it is Curley the exam will be a breeze! :smile:

You seem like a helpful person, what's the second book that you're doing? I'm doing The Crucible, any ideas on that? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ddiimmaa123
You seem like a helpful person, what's the second book that you're doing? I'm doing The Crucible, any ideas on that? :smile:

Sorry can't help with that, I'm doing The woman in black
Original post by zhang-liao

Relating Curley to his wife and talking about that is something everyone is going to do and won't get you high marks - not recommended.

Just look at Mr Bruff's Curley analysis and just use his points -

•

Theme of fate and contextual knowledge as to the name of the book

•

How Curley is extremely arrogant and how certain scenes in the book can be used as metaphores as to the lost grip of realities the rich leaders of the USA had in the 1930s

•

You can also use the generic theme that Steinback tries to convey through the book (futility of The American Dream) and link it to Curley as well.

Also guys, any idea on the other possible characters that can be questioned on this year? I've only done a developed study into Curley although I can probably fit in one or two more before I start working on The Crucible.
If you're doing AQA English, George hasn't been up yet, or Carlson. Lennie, Crooks, Curley's Wife, Slim, and George and Lennies relationship all have, but not the Boss, Curley, George or Carlson 😊 If anyones doing 'An Inspector Calls' Eva Smith, and Mr Birling haven't been up yet 😊 Good Luck all
Reply 14
Original post by zhang-liao

Yess like how his relationship with his wife shows how women were treated badly & were seen as possessions. Other points could include:

- Fate (how he's the bosses son so he inherited authority and wealth and he doesn't have to work hard. Whereas all the other ranch workers work really hard but they never have success. Therefore, Steinbeck uses him to symbolise the theme fate; only those who are fate to have it receive it)

- You could also argue that despite having a beautiful wife, a relative amount of wealth and authority, he's not 'successful' at all because he doesn't want it; the responsibilities have been thrust upon him which causes him to be negative. He dreams of being a boxer and fighting for Golden Gloves

-on page 47 when he first meets G&L he glances at them "coldly". You could say that he's a very judgemental character, even before G&L say anything he has already made up his mind about them. This could represent how prejudiced society was at that time. You could also say that he felt threatened by new people and he doesn't trust anyone which is what most men were like in 19030s America.

There are more points but i don't have time to write it all up
Hope this helped!!:h::h:
Reply 15
Original post by Denizkn123
I actually am hoping that it is Crooks but it's not because he has already come up but if Crooks did come up what themes would we focus on??

-Fate (You can't choose your skin colour)
-Racism (obvious)
-Prejudice/discrimination (None of the characters really talk to him to try to get to know him, except Lennie
-Fate (You can't choose your skin colour)
-Racism (obvious)
-Prejudice/discrimination (None of the characters really talk to him to try to get to know him, except Lennie

What would you do on George?
I'm feeling pretty confident with the book exams, they seem really easy.

However, I feel like the poems is going to be 10x harder, yet to revise it lel.
If Curley doesn't come up, what are the other predictions?
George, The Boss, Whit and Carlson

Quick Reply

Latest