The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do some black people say they hate racism but then hate white people for slavery?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Donald Sterling
I love you too babes. :flutter:

:laugh: thanks :tongue:
Reply 21
I think this applies more to black Americans (where the whole 'black culture' 'white culture' hostility seems to be ingrained/passed down like the British class system or the Israel/Palestine conflict).
Reply 22
I think it all has to do with frickin human nature. Humans are innately hateful creatures. (I don't know why because there are no benefits) We are selfish and judgmental. We are also disposed to feel group solidarity and so our hatred manifests itself in discrimination against other groups!!!! Historically, whites were able to take control of all the resources and institutions so black people and other ethnicities got ****ed over. Basically the racism of a lot of white people against other groups reached a whole new level because of this. That's why it's much worse. Even today the there's still institutional racism going on everywhere, though it's hard to detect. You see it in the effects though. Demographically, black people and minorities (in general, not always) are much worse off then white people. However, hating "whites" as a race isn't really the answer, because that's just more racism. That, i think, is just part of human nature. I think it arises from feelings of group solidarity. We are innately selfish and hateful, so these feelings of group solidarity shape our hatred in the form of hatred against "groups". It's easy for us to just hate a whole visible group because of our feelings against some of its members. What's annoying is that groups are just a social construction. It's been proven (and it doesn't even need to be because it's obvious) that homogeneous "biological groups" do not exist. Biological differences are MUCH GREATER between individuals than between groups. (It's just easy to see things in terms of groups because we notice the physical differences, like skin colour and etc.) That's why it's so annoying that most of us still see things in terms of groups. People need to read more Franz Boas - he wrote all about this and I have no idea why we haven't learned anything from him.
Original post by frida415
I think it all has to do with frickin human nature. Humans are innately hateful creatures. (I don't know why because there are no benefits) We are selfish and judgmental. We are also disposed to feel group solidarity and so our hatred manifests itself in discrimination against other groups!!!! Historically, whites were able to take control of all the resources and institutions so black people and other ethnicities got ****ed over. Basically the racism of a lot of white people against other groups reached a whole new level because of this. That's why it's much worse. Even today the there's still institutional racism going on everywhere, though it's hard to detect. You see it in the effects though. Demographically, black people and minorities (in general, not always) are much worse off then white people. However, hating "whites" as a race isn't really the answer, because that's just more racism. That, i think, is just part of human nature. I think it arises from feelings of group solidarity. We are innately selfish and hateful, so these feelings of group solidarity shape our hatred in the form of hatred against "groups". It's easy for us to just hate a whole visible group because of our feelings against some of its members. What's annoying is that groups are just a social construction. It's been proven (and it doesn't even need to be because it's obvious) that homogeneous "biological groups" do not exist. Biological differences are MUCH GREATER between individuals than between groups. (It's just easy to see things in terms of groups because we notice the physical differences, like skin colour and etc.) That's why it's so annoying that most of us still see things in terms of groups. People need to read more Franz Boas - he wrote all about this and I have no idea why we haven't learned anything from him.

this
If you have ever taken a train in Britain you have benefited from slavery:

www.newstatesman.com/economics/2014/04/if-you-have-ever-taken-train-britain-you-have-benefited-slavery
Because treating people differently according to their skin colour is wrong.

Unless of course, you're black. In which case, for some reason society says it's totally acceptable to despise white people based on your limited knowledge of American Slavery, despite the fact that you live in London and can trace your family tree back two generations into Nigeria.

If you're white though, you're worse than Hitler.
All these white people on this forum are so upset with stupid attitudes like "why cant we all move on" "why cant we all love each other"

It's hard
for an oppressed group to like or even love their oppressor, after all us white people still benefit from the oppression of poc and are all ingrained in some form of internalised racism - some more than others

AKA poc are still oppressed, the society benefits white people we still benefit from what we did through slavery and people expect poc to just bow down and love their oppressor? ur all dumb
Original post by Another
Because treating people differently according to their skin colour is wrong.

Unless of course, you're black. In which case, for some reason society says it's totally acceptable to despise white people based on your limited knowledge of American Slavery, despite the fact that you live in London and can trace your family tree back two generations into Nigeria.

If you're white though, you're worse than Hitler.

Oh yeah, "society" says that. What do you mean when you say "society"? Do you think most white British people think that? Absolute rubbish.

What prominent black British person has said they despise white people?
then black people should know who enslaved them first (blacks)
Original post by Mankytoes
Oh yeah, "society" says that. What do you mean when you say "society"? Do you think most white British people think that? Absolute rubbish.

So what if they do despise white people? They have every right to
Reply 30
Ok people need to stop acting like black people haven't been wronged since slavery. There is still institutional racism going on today which is revealed by the fact that white people are generally (not always, but generally) better off than black people and other races. However, this doesn't mean "white people" are evil. This is because, as I said before, there are no such things as biological groups that are homogeneous and distinct from other groups. The difference between blacks and whites emerged historically, basically was CONSTRUCTED, based on observable physical differences, and this resulted in white people, who were at a circumstantial advantage, prevailing over black people. Apart from this difference, there are NO differences between black people and white people. Differences are among individuals not groups. Differences are much greater between individuals than between groups. The point, then, is that we have to stop seeing things in terms of race. You can't hate a whole race, because "race" is a social construction. Yes, there is a historical difference, and one race is much better off than others, but that doesn't mean that the whole race is "evil". Many white people may be benefiting from the advantage they have gained historically but that doesn't mean they are racist. There is nothing they can do about it except speak out against racism and try to diminish it. But being racist against white people as a whole isn't the answer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cameron262
This website probably has the highest number of ignorant, racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, ethnocentrist pieces of **** out of any other active site I've ever seen. I don't even know why people even bother arguing with these people, this site makes me beyond angry.

THANK YOU!!!!! idk how to describe them theyre all just ignorant privileged white people well including me lol but i wish they could understand everything is made and benefiting to us lmao theyre so dumb
Not sure what it's like anywhere else in the world, but in England it goes like this:
White people are all horrible people
Anything they do that involves a black person is racist, even if its disliking a person in general.
Anything a black person does to a white person is perfectly acceptable, and has no racist intentions.
The people who claim that white people are so racist is usually, ironically, white people trying too hard to be politically correct.

Of course they don't, that's ridiculous. To hate someone who has nothing to do with you, no even vague connection through ancestry, just because the people who oppressed your ancestors had the same skin colour? You think that's fair and right? Do they hate the Eastern Europeans known as Slavs, a word that comes from slave, showing how oppressed they've been in history?

Hate breeds hate. Do you want to continue the cycle, or to break it?

Edit- Just reading what you replied to, you completely missed my point, I'm saying NO prominent black British people have said they hate all white people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mankytoes

If a white person makes publically racist comments, they will very quickly be shouted down by everyone in the vicinity.

If a black person does the same, they are pretty much ignored. I'm not talking about prominent people, I'm talking about people on the street.

Also as a side note... that comment wasn't 100% serious. I don't want people thinking I'm one of those "anti-racism = anti-white" nutters.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No-one is within their right to hate someone because of the colour of their skin. None of the white people involved in slavery are still alive. Hate the situation? Fair enough. Hate anyone not in that situation or because they are white? Morally wrong.
Original post by frida415
Ok people need to stop acting like black people haven't been wronged since slavery. There is still institutional racism going on today which is revealed by the fact that white people are generally (not always, but generally) better off than black people and other races. However, this doesn't mean "white people" are evil. This is because, as I said before, there are no such things as biological groups that are homogeneous and distinct from other groups. The difference between blacks and whites emerged historically, basically was CONSTRUCTED, based on observable physical differences, and this resulted in white people, who were at a circumstantial advantage, prevailing over black people. Apart from this difference, there are NO differences between black people and white people. Differences are among individuals not groups. Differences are much greater between individuals than between groups. The point, then, is that we have to stop seeing things in terms of race. You can't hate a whole race, because "race" is a social construction. Yes, there is a historical difference, and one race is much better off than others, but that doesn't mean that the whole race is "evil". Many white people may be benefiting from the advantage they have gained historically but that doesn't mean they are racist. There is nothing they can do about it except speak out against racism and try to diminish it. But being racist against white people isn't the answer.

but you know what its probably nice to say it
not all white people are full out racist but all white people are stubborn and ignorant and arent willing to admit or see from another perspective that we still oppress people and benefit from that oppression
Original post by Another
If a white person makes publically racist comments, they will very quickly be shouted down by everyone in the vicinity.

If a black person does the same, they are pretty much ignored. I'm not talking about prominent people, I'm talking about people on the street.

Also as a side note... that comment wasn't 100% serious. I don't want people thinking I'm one of those "anti-racism = anti-white" nutters.

what is worse a nazi saying they hate jews
or a jewish person saying they hate nazis?
Original post by cameronhustle
what is worse a nazi saying they hate jews
or a jewish person saying they hate nazis?

To start with, one's an ethnic race and the other is a political power, so...
It's not hypocritical to hate racism and to also hate the white people who were active in the slave trade. Obviously it would be hypocritical to say you hate racism and also hate all white people, but I wonder exactly how many black people you've heard say they hate/distrust white people for the part they played in slavery? Or did you just feel like making a thread in which you would get positive responses and replies of agreement? I don't know why but whenever I see something like "I'm black but it really annoys me when Black people...." "I'm Asian but it really annoys me when Asians.." I sigh.

I think even using the phrase 'reverse racism' is a poor choice when opening a 'debate' on this type of issue. Why is it 'reverse' racism? Surely it is just racism, as I'm sure the point you're trying to make is that anyone can be racist, even ethnic minorities. Also, it is not just black people who tend to get away with racism as some people try to suggest but I think all ethnic minorities have some type of leeway when it comes to this. Why? Well because it tends to be the ethnic minorities who suffer the most at the hand of racism in society generally.
The fact is, as result of an ethnic minority living in a society where they're more likely to be a victim of racism at a number of points during their life, they are more likely to harbour some type of frustration and although I'm not saying this isn't wrong, I think it's more understandable than a White person (I'm going to be honest), because what are the chances of a White person having the same experiences? So although I agree it's stupid for a Black person to say they distrust white people because of slavery, I think the wider idea of 'reverse racism' is often used to make a point of "Why is it okay when a *insert ethnic minority here* is racist?" Well it's not okay, but realistically, in some instances it is more permissible. Sometimes it is just more difficult for a Black person to disregard a racist comment/attitude because they may feel as though they feel it all the time, a white person who hasn't really been subjected to that type of treatment before is not in the same position as the Black person because it hasn't been a reoccurring theme in their life, family history etc. That sounds really bad... I know.

This has sort of gone off your topic which was specifically about slavery, I'm sort of rambling about reverse racism as a whole, but I think my points can be linked... somehow, perhaps - if you try real hard
:lol:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending