adstratt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am currently doing AS levels and my mind is set on dropping Economics. I find it interesting but really wordy, and I never grasp the topics instantly - it is only when I come to revision that I start to understand. I also do French, Spanish and Eng Lang which I enjoy and expect to get good grades for, reinforcing my desire to drop Econ.
I have been interested in a degree in Marketing but I want to find out more on what it's like. My initial perception was that it was things like advertising, which I have an interest in, and something I think ties in a bit with doing English Language, but is there more economics sort of stuff to it? University websites say their own thing but don't really give me a clear idea.

So my question - particularly if there are any people that are doing Marketing now - is how similar or different is it to Economics? Would I enjoy it given how I find Economics?
Liberalists
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Marketing & Economics are two whole different areas of studies that don't interlink much, if at all.

Economics is to do with the allocation of resources. Marketing is to do with.. marketing. I doubt you'd struggle at marketing if you don't understand economic concepts. Maybe you learn the foudnation principles of economics such as things to do with price allocation / supply & demand / elasticities but you won't ever need to learn stuff like quantitative theory of money, Keynsian ideology, econometrics, lorenz curve and gini co-efficient etc.. etc..
adstratt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Liberalists)

... but you won't ever need to learn stuff like quantitative theory of money, Keynsian ideology, econometrics, lorenz curve and gini co-efficient etc.. etc..
Good job we've only ever touched on two of those then :-P

Really though, it is the national economy stuff that I struggle with. Demand, supply and elasticity are pretty basic. I'm assuming that anything to do with the national economy has nothing to do with Marketing.
Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed