The Student Room Group

OCR Core Maths

I couldn't find any non-MEI threads so I decided to make one for us to talk about the exams.

Scroll to see replies

Judging by the difficulty of the further maths exams, I guess ocr is bumping up the difficulty across the board perhaps.
I really hope not, their boundaries seem to be pretty high though
For core 1 and 2 its almost always 72/72 for 100UMS core 2 has had some 70-72/72 some years, however.
Reply 4
Lost 14 marks because of stupid mistakes in last year's January paper >.< Mostly in the last few questions as I didn't have time to double check.
(edited 9 years ago)
We have done the June 2013 paper as a mock at our college and that was an easy paper, probably going to be a harder paper this year (not that c1 is hard)
Reply 6
Original post by Protoxylic
We have done the June 2013 paper as a mock at our college and that was an easy paper, probably going to be a harder paper this year (not that c1 is hard)

Do you know of where I can find this? I can't find the June 2013 C1 paper anywhere online...
Reply 7
Original post by Octan
Do you know of where I can find this? I can't find the June 2013 C1 paper anywhere online...

It's protected so only teachers can use it for mocks.
Reply 8
Original post by PeaceTreaty
It's protected so only teachers can use it for mocks.

Ah that sucks... were the questions of the same topics as the June 2012?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/136127-question-paper-unit-4721-core-mathematics-1.pdf - if you could just skim over it quickly and check that would be awesome... got mine tomorrow and I rly need to revise XD
Reply 9
Original post by Octan
Ah that sucks... were the questions of the same topics as the June 2012?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/136127-question-paper-unit-4721-core-mathematics-1.pdf - if you could just skim over it quickly and check that would be awesome... got mine tomorrow and I rly need to revise XD

I forgot most of the paper but the topics don't change that much; normally the last 2/3 questions test your understanding of harder topics in different ways each year while the other questions are usually the same. I've seen them use application of differentiation, circle geometry, curve geometry and inequalities for the harder questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah not seeing the June 2013 paper isn't really a big deal, its a very standard paper with more weight on co-ordinate geometry/differentiation
Reply 11
Yeah not seeing the June 2013 paper isn't really a big deal, its a very standard paper with more weight on co-ordinate geometry/differentiation

Nice :biggrin: Imo the easiest of the topics (although they cover pretty much the whole course).
I got a really dumb question, but it's the thing I always seem to forget.

Tangent to a curve has the same gradient as curve?
Tangent to a circle has -1/m gradient of the normal?

Are both of those right?
Original post by Fuenciado
I got a really dumb question, but it's the thing I always seem to forget.

Tangent to a curve has the same gradient as curve?
Tangent to a circle has -1/m gradient of the normal?

Are both of those right?

Both are right, also remember the gradient of a tangent to a circle has -1/m of the gradient of the radius at the point it intersects the tangent and that the tangent's gradient is always -1/m of the normal at the same point regardless of whether it's a curve or circle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Octan

http://sixthform.m34maths.com/

I actually found this year's paper to be easier than most of the past papers I did :smile:
Post and discuss your answers below.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Quite an easy C1 paper I thought - hope I didn't make any mistakes though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Knowing
Quite an easy C1 paper I thought - hope I didn't make any mistakes though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you manage to double check it? I nearly forgot to put +- for x=+-(1/2) (the let k=x^2 question)
Thought the paper was fab!

I understood all the questions anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest