Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A capacitor is discharging though a resistor and the time constant is 5.0 s. The time taken for the capacitor to lose half its charge is ?

My answer is 0.14s but the mark scheme said that the answer should be 3.5 s?!
_Ddraig_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is your working out so far?

Hint:
Spoiler:
Show
Q=Q_oe^{-t/RC}
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
A capacitor is discharging though a resistor and the time constant is 5.0 s. The time taken for the capacitor to lose half its charge is ?

My answer is 0.14s but the mark scheme said that the answer should be 3.5 s?!
The charge on the capacitor is given by the relationship

ke-t/CR

i.e:

when t = CR (t= 5.0 seconds)

-t/CR = -1

then e-t/CR

e-t/5 = e-1 = 0.3679

i.e. charge or voltage on the capacitor has fallen to approx' 37% of its original value.

The question is asking for the time t such that e-t/5 = 0.5

Can you solve this now?

HINT. Use natural logs
Lamalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
The charge on the capacitor is given by the relationship

ke-t/CR

i.e:

when t = CR (t= 5.0 seconds)

-t/CR = -1

then e-t/CR

e-t/5 = e-1 = 0.3679

i.e. charge or voltage on the capacitor has fallen to approx' 37% of its original value.

The question is asking for the time t such that e-t/5 = 0.5

Can you solve this now?

HINT. Use natural logs
Take the natural log of both sides of the equation and rearrange to get t=3.47 s --> 3.5s

thank you !

I calculated the wrong answer at first because I think the time required is actually the HALF LIVE . And then I use half live = ln 2 / RC to get the answer. why the time isn't half lives?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Take the natural log of both sides of the equation and rearrange to get t=3.47 s --> 3.5s

thank you !

I calculated the wrong answer at first because I think the time required is actually the HALF LIVE . And then I use half live = ln 2 / RC to get the answer. why the time isn't half lives?
You can but you would need to use (RC)ln2 since with half lives, the relationship is

e-lambda x t

However, don't mix the two because the examiner will award marks for the correct use of e-t/CR and none if you used your method which produced the wrong result.
Lamalam
Rep:
?
You can but you would need to use (RC)ln2 since with half lives, the relationship is

e-lambda x t

However, don't mix the two because the examiner will award marks for the correct use of e-t/CR and none if you used your method which produced the wrong result.
silly me ! I rmb the equations wrongly .

e-lambda x t is applicable in this question? I thought this equation can only be used in the radioactivity-related question? if it can be used in the question, what would lambda represents?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
silly me ! I rmb the equations wrongly .

e-lambda x t is applicable in this question? I thought this equation can only be used in the radioactivity-related question? if it can be used in the question, what would lambda represents?
Not really since lambda is the time taken for 50% of the atoms to decay whereas CR is the time for the charge to fall to 37%

As I said, don't mx them up, it only serves to confuse.
Lamalam
Rep:
?
Not really since lambda is the time taken for 50% of the atoms to decay whereas CR is the time for the charge to fall to 37%

As I said, don't mx them up, it only serves to confuse.
If the decay constant is 4.30*10^-4 year^-1, what does it mean? I couldn't associate the 50% with 4.30*10^-4 year^-1.

:confused:

Thank you very much!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If the decay constant is 4.30*10^-4 year^-1, what does it mean? I couldn't associate the 50% with 4.30*10^-4 year^-1.

:confused:

Thank you very much!
Half life decay is stated as a time. Meaning half of the original quantity will decay within the time period.

Your statement states a quantity of something is decaying at given rate without stating the original quantity. Can you post the original question please?
Lamalam
Rep:
?
Half life decay is stated as a time. Meaning half of the original quantity will decay within the time period.

Your statement states a quantity of something is decaying at given rate without stating the original quantity. Can you post the original question please?
Name:  1400508251459.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  73.8 KB

I think I mix up half life and decay constant? Are they the same thing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  1400508251459.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  73.8 KB

I think I mix up half life and decay constant? Are they the same thing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. The equations look similar but re not the same.

One refers to an actual physical quantity (rate of change of charge) and the other is the probability of a rate of decay occurring in the stated time.
Lamalam
Rep:
?
No. The equations look similar but re not the same.

One refers to an actual physical quantity (rate of change of charge) and the other is the probability of a rate of decay occurring in the stated time.
but then lambda is not the time taken for 50% of the atoms to decay , but half life does? Thank you for answering my question!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
but then lambda is not the time taken for 50% of the atoms to decay , but half life does? Thank you for answering my question!
Essentially they are the same thing. However probabiity definition is a closer model because radioactive decay cannot be predicted for individual atoms whereas we can indeed measure the decay of half the atoms occuring in a given time for a large bulk of atoms: Statistically half of them will decay within the decay time constant.

So e-t/CR has the same form as e-lambda * t

1/CR = 1/ tor since the product of the dimensions for Farrads and Ohms = seconds

lambda = k/tor = k(1/tor) where k is a property of the atomic element
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads