Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys basically I'm an A2 student. I Am resitting the last year's unit two paper because somehow I got a D which I was extremely upset about as I was getting As all year! All that aside, I'd like to get at least 90% and above this year in this exam. Any tips? I know so far to always try to include political vocabulary, keywords and examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same boat! My problem is being to vague and waffling, and I need to be more specific and explain why so and so has that effcet etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloealex2014)
    I'm in exactly the same boat! My problem is being to vague and waffling, and I need to be more specific and explain why so and so has that effcet etc
    yeah I know its good to look at the mark scheme and all the ao1/ao2 things but the don't make sense to me ofc

ReputationRep:
    In 40 mark Qs how many points and how many against do you make?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm in the same boat - this being my third crack at unit 2. The trick I think I've found for the exam is to not think too deep or be interesting. Just get into the formula for each paragraph of:

Sentence 1: Point: Just write out the point you're making
    Sentence 2: Explain 1: Write out what that point means
    Sentence 3: Explain 2: Explain why ^ answers the question
    Sentence 4: Example : An example that shows an incidence of your point
    Sentence 5: Summary: Something like "It is therefore true that x and so x [answers the question]"

Following that formula exactly is difficult but it's what the examiner wants. If you think about that structure as you write, you can get used to it. If possible, counter argue the points to go 'point a, point a-, point b, point b-...' and so on

As for points/paragraphs:
    10 mark question: no introduction, 2 or three points (2 if counter arguing) no conclusion
    25 mark question: introduction (define key terms and summarise argument), 3 counter argued points, conclusion
    40 mark question: introduction (as above), 4 counter argued points, conclusion

Generally examiners will prefer to say 1 less point if your points are better structured, supported etc. so if you're short on time sacrifice quantity for quality.

I hope we all succeed in this b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORTB94)
    Hi all, I'm in the same boat - this being my third crack at unit 2. The trick I think I've found for the exam is to not think too deep or be interesting. Just get into the formula for each paragraph of:

Sentence 1: Point: Just write out the point you're making
    Sentence 2: Explain 1: Write out what that point means
    Sentence 3: Explain 2: Explain why ^ answers the question
    Sentence 4: Example : An example that shows an incidence of your point
    Sentence 5: Summary: Something like "It is therefore true that x and so x [answers the question]"

Following that formula exactly is difficult but it's what the examiner wants. If you think about that structure as you write, you can get used to it. If possible, counter argue the points to go 'point a, point a-, point b, point b-...' and so on

As for points/paragraphs:
    10 mark question: no introduction, 2 or three points (2 if counter arguing) no conclusion
    25 mark question: introduction (define key terms and summarise argument), 3 counter argued points, conclusion
    40 mark question: introduction (as above), 4 counter argued points, conclusion

Generally examiners will prefer to say 1 less point if your points are better structured, supported etc. so if you're short on time sacrifice quantity for quality.

I hope we all succeed in this b
    So you believe that will get us into level 3s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shalini.c)
    Hi guys basically I'm an A2 student. I Am resitting the last year's unit two paper because somehow I got a D which I was extremely upset about as I was getting As all year! All that aside, I'd like to get at least 90% and above this year in this exam. Any tips? I know so far to always try to include political vocabulary, keywords and examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm the exact same- I got a D and I am resetting both papers. I was really pleased with the Unit 1 questions which is good, and I think I'm about ready for Unit 2 but really not sure if my revision is working for Unit 3. its such a broad unit... I'm not sure whats the best thing to do for revision?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilykatehulme)
    I'm the exact same- I got a D and I am resetting both papers. I was really pleased with the Unit 1 questions which is good, and I think I'm about ready for Unit 2 but really not sure if my revision is working for Unit 3. its such a broad unit... I'm not sure whats the best thing to do for revision?

Good luck
    What topic do you do for a2? And essay plans I guess

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother revising legal system /judiciary and focus solely on 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In 40 mark Qs how many points and how many against do you make?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    4 points each side - 4 for 4 against

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What topic do you do for a2? And essay plans I guess
    Political issues for unit 3: welfare state, economy, pension, benefits, education etc
    And EU for unit 4: how it works, what it does and why etc

ReputationRep:
    I am seriously nervous for this exam. I don't think I will do well in this.. I am very about the 5 marker and 25 marker. I am doing AS/A2 all in one year.. how do I do well in my GOVP2 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameron.M)
    4 points each side - 4 for 4 against

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isn't 3 on each side enough? They're barely time

ReputationRep:
    For a 25 marker I always did 3 each side.. 40 personally I think needs more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameron.M)
    For a 25 marker I always did 3 each side.. 40 personally I think needs more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my god, I'll try but the time is so little

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, I'll try but the time is so little
    4 decent points on each side will do you well, but you CAN get full marks by doing 3 balanced, in-depth and well evaluated arguments.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need an example for each point/counterpoint?

Say it was a 40-marker, I thought as long as you had plenty of points, you didn't need as many, nor did you need as much analysis because 20 of the marks are AO1, right? So in theory, loads of brief points would work, wouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalvadorDalí)
    Do you need an example for each point/counterpoint?

Say it was a 40-marker, I thought as long as you had plenty of points, you didn't need as many, nor did you need as much analysis because 20 of the marks are AO1, right? So in theory, loads of brief points would work, wouldn't they?
    Although you're technically correct often without some examples you won't get the top marks. I always tried to have an example for each point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not enough examples

ReputationRep:
    I usually make 3 and 3 points and end up with quite high marks, as long as they're atleast semi-detailed you should be fine with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.