This discussion is closed.
Ral
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
How can space be expanding into nothing?
How can something go on 4ever?
If it doesn't go on 4ever what stops it?
Is there a wall?
If yes what is on the other side of the wall?
if there is no wall and space goes on 4ever will it one day catch up with the other side of space and over take it?
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Is there a wall?
if there is no wall and space goes on 4ever will it one day catch up with the other side of space and over take it?
Your mind will explode if you keep thinking hard about stuff like this.
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Is there a wall?
I read a theory somewhere that space is actually doughnut shaped and looks like it goes on forever becuase you keep seeing the same parts again and again... not sure how that could work though... :rolleyes:

Will we ever know the answers to any of these questions?!?
Ral
Probably not that is why i keep asking them!
Every1 at school is sick to death of them so i thought i would try them out on you lot.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Probably not that is why i keep asking them!
Every1 at school is sick to death of them so i thought i would try them out on you lot.
Try not to pester us too much though, we'll get sick of them too eventually!!
Ral
Arrr it is just making you think this early in a morning that is making u sick of them. Every1 would like to know the answers really and alot of people can't deal with the fact of not knowing so they just don't think about them.
It is tooooooo scary!!
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Is there a wall?
why dont rephrase these questions.
Why wouldnt space be able to continue expanding into nothing?
Why wouldnt something be able to go on forever?
Why would there be a wall?
Why would there be anything on the other side of the wall if it even existed?
and the last one im not even going to bother with?

ok since we know space is expanding from things like Red shift and Edwin Hubbles observation that galaxies are receeding from each other with greater and greater speed it means that space must be expanding into nothing as you term it. There is no reason to suggest it cant happen so why wouldnt it happen.
If you take Newton's 2nd law it says that a particle will stay in its state that its in forever unless a resultant force acts on it. (ie if a it has a velocity of 5ms^-1 then it would continue with that velocity until a force acts on it) so this shows something can go on forever unless something acts on it.
And as for the wall questions unless you have any proof that there is a wall i wouldnt worry about it.
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
... ok since we know space is expanding from things like Red shift and Edwin Hubbles observation that galaxies are receeding from each other with greater and greater speed it means that space must be expanding into nothing as you term it. ...
But surely nothing's still something?
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
But surely nothing's still something?
think about your defiintion of nothing, you are saying
nothing=something
which is wrong as a definition however...
In terms of what is outside our universe its impossible to tell so we might as well say there is nothing. After all there is nothing we know about/
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hate it when people think they're cleverer than everyone else just because they ask these questions and no-one can answer them. It's not like no-one else ever thinks about this kind of stuff, you just have to accept that its beyond your comprehension and let it go. (Unless you're an absolute genius like Einstein or Newton, then you should keep thinking about it and try to work it out)
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I hate it when people think they're cleverer than everyone else just because they ask these questions and no-one can answer them. It's not like no-one else ever thinks about this kind of stuff, you just have to accept that its beyond your comprehension and let it go. (Unless you're an absolute genius like Einstein or Newton, then you should keep thinking about it and try to work it out)
I dont think its necessary beyond people's comprehension however since we are not going to test what is there its a bit like believing in god and it there might or might not be something there, and even then if we knew the answer to that question its still a case of what is that something? so all in all i agree with you its utterly pointless.
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Is there a wall?
these questions are baffling and frustrating when sober. when drunk however, it's very very funny (and still baffling)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (204)
49.51%
No (48)
11.65%
I'm not old enough (160)
38.83%

Watched Threads