English Language or English Literature A Level? Watch

AbbMay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This has been posted many times however I'd just like to know which of the two courses people find most enjoyable. Again, I know different exam boards have different units/topics studied but just as a general question; which is most enjoyable?
English is my strongest subject and for both of my coursework elements on WJEC GCSE English Language and also English Literature I have an A*. In mock exams for both courses at GCSE I have also received an A*.
My chosen college doesn't offer a combined English A Level and my other A Level choices are History, Government & Politics and Philosophy & Ethics. I love creative writing and so I was thinking about English Language as it has quite a large section of creative writing coursework (at AS) however I know that it is not as widely respected as English Literature and I don't want this to hinder my chances of getting into a good university.

So really I'm just asking for some advice on whether these are a good combination of subject choices and also which English A Level you find to be the most enjoyable and why?
Rainbow Student
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AbbMay)
This has been posted many times however I'd just like to know which of the two courses people find most enjoyable. Again, I know different exam boards have different units/topics studied but just as a general question; which is most enjoyable?
English is my strongest subject and for both of my coursework elements on WJEC GCSE English Language and also English Literature I have an A*. In mock exams for both courses at GCSE I have also received an A*.
My chosen college doesn't offer a combined English A Level and my other A Level choices are History, Government & Politics and Philosophy & Ethics. I love creative writing and so I was thinking about English Language as it has quite a large section of creative writing coursework (at AS) however I know that it is not as widely respected as English Literature and I don't want this to hinder my chances of getting into a good university.

So really I'm just asking for some advice on whether these are a good combination of subject choices and also which English A Level you find to be the most enjoyable and why?
I like both, just finished my Englishes exams-wise. I like both but personally I prefer E Language. It's a lot easier, the coursework is more creative and your own, and E Lit is a lot of harder work. Both are fun but Lang is more fun than Lit. If you prefer studying how our language works and linguistic techniques, then choose Lang. If you prefer to read lots literature-wise and studying poetic/literary techniques then Lit is for you. Both are mentally enriching, rewarding, worthwhile and fun but it's up to you. I prefer English Language myself. Good luck in choosing and studying your A levels, and have fun.
CeeJay96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English Literature is a lot harder, but it is also a lot more respected as an A Level than English Language, especially by universities. That being said, you're doing a lot of essay subjects, so you would have an easier time with English Literature than someone who was doing sciences or maths in combination with it. I love languages, but I also love writing analytical essays, so I found English Language and English Literature to be equally as enjoyable!

Though, as a heads up, you can do a lot of creative writing and study of language in English Literature at university anyway. So it might be more worth your while doing Literature since it's a better A Level, and that way if you ended up doing English at uni you would have a more fitting A Level for applying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish