Why does your health affect the health of your offsprings?

Watch
desslop
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Unless health affects genetics I don't see how it would have any affect on the well being of your offspring. For example, people keep saying Mexicans are short compared to Americans because of their diet. I understand that bad diet may affect your growth potential but shouldn't your gene that dictates your growth potential stay the same? So it's not really the diet of the previous generations that affect how you grow but simply due to the genetics of your race. Right?
idontevenbeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Genetics of the parents will affect the children, and if we assume most Mexican people have kids with other Mexican partners who are known to be small, their offspring will be small too. And Chinese people are known to be small because of bad diet, there's obviously a lot of factors but many third world and deprived places means bones are not nourished and cannot grow properly
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Genes don't change due to environmental factors, but the structure of the DNA can change and be transmitted (epigenetics).

Further, what your mother does while you are in utero is a huge determinant on your future health.

Further - you copy your parents health habits.

Further - unwell parents means likely lower socioeconomic status, etctc which is a very important determinative aspec of health.

And if you have to care for your parents a child that is highly likely to have a major impact on your life and health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads