The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature LT4 exam

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone happen to have the questions from the January 2014 exam? I know there was one for Welsh students who aren't incorporated into the new reforms but seeing as my school is in England I don't think they can get hold of it.

Thank you!
Reply 21
Original post by libbygargett
Does anyone happen to have the questions from the January 2014 exam? I know there was one for Welsh students who aren't incorporated into the new reforms but seeing as my school is in England I don't think they can get hold of it.

Thank you!

I'm a Welsh student, unfortunately I don't have the question - but what are the new reforms..? We've not been told anything about them unless it's all incorporated anyway haha, it's probably just last minute exam panic:')

I'm studying Lear/Oedipus and Blake by the way:smile: Anyone else completely dreading it? I always do worse in an exam rather than just a homework essay because I start to panic
Does anyone have an exam answer example pleaseeee? :smile:
Original post by caryswww
I'm a Welsh student, unfortunately I don't have the question - but what are the new reforms..? We've not been told anything about them unless it's all incorporated anyway haha, it's probably just last minute exam panic:')

I'm studying Lear/Oedipus and Blake by the way:smile: Anyone else completely dreading it? I always do worse in an exam rather than just a homework essay because I start to panic

Haha don't panic, I just the abolition of January exams for all of those in England! Thanks for replying though...and yes I am completely and dreading it. I'm doing Blake and Measure for Measure/Duchess of Malfi and am just so scared the questions will be incomprehensible :frown:
Reply 24
Any tips for the unseen?
I'm doing the exact same texts as you! Both Measure for Measure/Duchess of Malfi and Blake. Do you have any predictions what will come up?
Does anybody have tips for learning quotes? I know some but there's always room for more!
Reply 27
Does anyone know any good critics for Lear? I've got a good few For Blake but not Lear:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone tell me if you think iv'e extremely messed up. I did "Hamlet inspires sympathy in an audience, relate to Vindice"

Intro - disagreed and said that actually it's the audience's religious views that inspire an audience's sympathy.

Develop 1: Femininty

Hamlet is horrible to Ophelia caling her 'monstrous' etc etc accusing her of being evil, dehumanizing her. I linked it to Rt where JR bro says that he died for what woman love - showing that it is actually men causing harm. I said that it could be possible hamlet is biased as a result of his study at wittenburg and hung up on the idea of 'incestuous sheets', the sibbliance emphasising the sound of a snake showing Hamlet's misojyny - showing that an audience may sympathise more with Ophelia.

Develop 2: Death. 'Alas poor yorick', man of 'infinite jest'. - showing all things that are powerful, happiness can die as he is degraded to a mere skull. Linked it to a Vindice's wife 'heaven pointed diamonds in those unsightly rings'. 'diamonds emphasises beauty, however it has become 'unsightly rings'. eyes are the windows of a soul - showing that even the soul can turn disgusting in death. This would sympathise with christian reader's as they would have a belief of eternal life, but yet the disgust of death is emphaised by Hamlet and Vindice - linked to an RSC performance I saw where skulls covered the tage.

Develop 3- leads to a major moral question as to whether sympathy can be had for the main villain of claudius. He repents, yet the suffering Old Hamlet has may convince a Christian audience that God is injust, sympathising with OH.

What do you think? I basicly disagreed with the question
Which poetry question did everyone pick? And what poems did you use? :smile:

I chose human nature and did- the sick rose, the blossom, nurses song I, nurses song E and little bit on the little black boy. I only wrote like three sentences from the unseen though and they were hardly relevant....
Original post by kingzebra
Which poetry question did everyone pick? And what poems did you use? :smile:

I chose human nature and did- the sick rose, the blossom, nurses song I, nurses song E and little bit on the little black boy. I only wrote like three sentences from the unseen though and they were hardly relevant....

I did religion and used Chimney Sweeper, The Divine Image, The Garden of Love and a bit on the Tyger. What unseen did you use? I chose the first one, by Sassoon. I was struggling to connect them!
Original post by aliyah08
I did religion and used Chimney Sweeper, The Divine Image, The Garden of Love and a bit on the Tyger. What unseen did you use? I chose the first one, by Sassoon. I was struggling to connect them!

I couldn't believe religion came up! It seemed so simple that I didn't bother revising it, even though it's in every poem looool!

Did you write equally on all of them? I wrote loads on one pair, then about half as much on the second pair and then about 1/4 as much on the 5th poem :/

That one looked so hard! I picked the one that was about joy.... By Oliver I think, I didn't even understand what it meant haha! It was so hard linking them in though :frown:
Reply 32
I did religion/supernatural too! I think I did Chimney sweeper(E), Holy Thursday(I and E), Garden of Love and a few others I think but I don't remember - I like to put exams out of my mind as soon as they're over! But religion for Blake was amazing! Although there's so much to say I struggled to pick and choose the most important points, I could've gone on for days! Partnered it with Sassoon (he featured in my coursework so I couldn't not!). I struggled to find links with any of the unseen really:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did religion/supernatural too! I think I did Chimney sweeper(E), Holy Thursday(I and E), Garden of Love and a few others I think but I don't remember - I like to put exams out of my mind as soon as they're over! But religion for Blake was amazing! Although there's so much to say I struggled to pick and choose the most important points, I could've gone on for days! Partnered it with Sassoon (he featured in my coursework so I couldn't not!). I struggled to find links with any of the unseen really:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree! The thing is you have an hour to write about 5 poems you know about, it's hard to find the time to analyse and pick out parts from a random poem and randomly put them in :/

What did you do Shakespeare?

I did ambitions for The Tempest and Doctor Faustus
Original post by kingzebra
I couldn't believe religion came up! It seemed so simple that I didn't bother revising it, even though it's in every poem looool!

Did you write equally on all of them? I wrote loads on one pair, then about half as much on the second pair and then about 1/4 as much on the 5th poem :/

That one looked so hard! I picked the one that was about joy.... By Oliver I think, I didn't even understand what it meant haha! It was so hard linking them in though :frown:

Haha I know right! I even considered picking the one on human limitations because there was so much to say on religion that I didn't know how to selectively pick the best information lol
But I wrote roughly the same amount on the Chimney Sweeper and The Garden of Love. Not so much for the Divine Image. But I wrote very very little on the Tyger in my final paragraph, because I was running out of time, and needed to move onto the plays! And God willing we pass! What do you need?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had exactly the same problem with picking and choosing. I struggled to find links also. I just said that the speaker in sassoons poem was spiritual, but not tied down by restrictions of organised religion like those in Blake's poem. I also said that the fact that the speaker in Blake's poem compared the body to grass, suggests life, vitality and naturalness of sex, which the Church in Blake's poems prohibit. I wrote a load of rubbish lol
Reply 36
Original post by aliyah08
I had exactly the same problem with picking and choosing. I struggled to find links also. I just said that the speaker in sassoons poem was spiritual, but not tied down by restrictions of organised religion like those in Blake's poem. I also said that the fact that the speaker in Blake's poem compared the body to grass, suggests life, vitality and naturalness of sex, which the Church in Blake's poems prohibit. I wrote a load of rubbish lol

I did a link at the end of Sassoons about how he uses the same phrasing as the Lords Prayer at the end which was sort of like in GOL with the Ten Commandments reference.. There was also something about alliteration or assonance or something - but honestly I don't think any of the unseen a linked much :/

And I did Lear/Oedipus for the plays, and picked the question on Love inspiring loyalty and fear obedience..bit iffy to say the least! I always find it too easy to go off on a plot tangent instead of analysing language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Did anyone do the pain and discomfort question for Blake? It's the one I did and I thought it would have been very popular as it seemed quite simple to me and the Mary Oliver poem was very good for use of natural imagery and entrapment/oppression links!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For section A I did the conflict and used the poem by Sassoon, and discussed the conflict that soldiers went through to get faith and hope. And for Blake I used the Introduction to innocence, Holy Thursday innocence & experience and London.

In section B I did morals for The Tempest and Dr Faustus, but I was less confident on that question.
Original post by LeeRoss96
For section A I did the conflict and used the poem by Sassoon, and discussed the conflict that soldiers went through to get faith and hope. And for Blake I used the Introduction to innocence, Holy Thursday innocence & experience and London.

In section B I did morals for The Tempest and Dr Faustus, but I was less confident on that question.

What did you write for Tempest and Faustus? I did ambitions but don't know if I made any sense! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest