The Student Room Group

How often do you shampoo your hair?

I have to do so twice a day to avoid the grease overkill that plagues my hair if I don’t do so. The lack of washing/shampooing also itches and makes my hair look thinner.
Am I doing it too much?

Is it harmful?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It varies from person to person... But I wash once a day out of choice... Style and stuff, but I don't need to do it that often
I'd say that is too much... The most I can go without doing it though is 48 hours.
Reply 3
everyday pantene
Reply 4
I shampoo my hair once every 2-3 days because I was told that doing it daily strips your hair of its natural oils and I've found that this works better for me compared to when I use to shampoo my hair daily.
Once in 2-3 days (3 days if I'm only staying at home and nobody of importance can see me). My scalp itches soooo bad if I leave them unwashed for longer than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lewisallows
It varies from person to person... But I wash once a day out of choice... Style and stuff, but I don't need to do it that often

Apparently it isn't good for you. I have a friend that washes their hair every other day so maybe 4 times a week, but for example at sixth form my hair gets greasy if I don't wash it.

I usually wash it Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evening and sunday evenings.

If I know I'm going out on Saturday morning for sure or really early I'll was it friday night but If i'm not sure, I'll do it Saturday morning.

So I wash my hair 6 times a week normally, when the weather is warmer though it's more.
Reply 7
Washing your hair that often will only make it greasier as the natural oils are constantly being washed away. I try to wash my hair as little as possible but because of going out I normally wash mine every 2-3 days.

I used to wash mine every night due to greasy hair but then I discovered dry shampoo. With dry shampoo my hair can last 4 days without washing but I would only not wash that long if I knew I wasn't going out. I recommend Batiste dry shampoo! :smile:
Reply 8
Twice a week or so. Sometimes up to 3 times, rarely less than 2 though, find my hair goes greasy on the fourth day and I don't enjoy using too much dry shampoo as it makes me hair feel itchy. If I use dry shampoo or baby powder I can do it once a week though.
Once every 2 days, sometimes more, sometimes less
Original post by czechmishaout
Once in 2-3 days (3 days if I'm only staying at home and nobody of importance can see me). My scalp itches soooo bad if I leave them unwashed for longer than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, same for me. If I wash my hair every day it gets so dry but after the 3rd day it looks really awful haha
Reply 11
Your head may be overproducing oils because you wash your hair so much, try cutting down to once a day and then maybe try every other day. Use dry shampoo in the mean time to help it looking fresh
I wash my hair every other day, my hair gets greasy quickly but my hair/scalp is dry so I try not to wash my hair daily
Original post by Charlzi
Twice a week or so. Sometimes up to 3 times, rarely less than 2 though, find my hair goes greasy on the fourth day and I don't enjoy using too much dry shampoo as it makes me hair feel itchy. If I use dry shampoo or baby powder I can do it once a week though.

Does your hair not get greasy then?
Original post by SophhFrog
Does your hair not get greasy then?

It used to get so so so greasy, had to wash it every day and still use dry shampoo. So one day over holidays I decided to only wash with conditioner for 3-4 months. It was terrible, but now it never gets greasy
Original post by Charlzi
It used to get so so so greasy, had to wash it every day and still use dry shampoo. So one day over holidays I decided to only wash with conditioner for 3-4 months. It was terrible, but now it never gets greasy

I think in the holidays if i'm staying in, i'm going to reduce how often i wash it but then when I go back to sixth form, it'll just go back again.
Reply 15
I used to get really greasy hair too, shampooed it daily.
Now I wash my hair in shampoo every 3 maybe 4 days.

However I shower most days and rinse my hair in warm water, this helps it not be stripped of all it's natural oils yet revives it.
Reply 16
Every 2-3 days. :smile:
When I was a kid, I asked my dad this question in a moment and he responded "just wash your ****ing hair" and so every day.
Original post by Taylorluke94
I haven't used shampoo in over a year now.

Think about it - why would we evolve into creatures with the need to douse our hair in artificial chemicals?

So what's your hair like due to this?

Lily

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I have hair that is long enough to be styled I get it shampooed every day because I have a double crown and shampooing it puts it somewhat to rest.

Quick Reply

Latest