The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KMMM
I am panicking I failed and need some sort of reassurance haha!
Is what I wrote For the miracles Q ok?

- Humes definition of miracles
Started of saying biblical miracles focused on the miraculous/ how they violate laws of nature - e.g the healing miracles / water into wine etc.
-Paul Tillich- would argue that biblical miracles are too focused on the miraculous nature and the violations of natural law and they tend to be exaggerated so shouldn't be taken as literal - they should be seen as sign events etc.
- wiles would support Tillich and say that miracles in the bible should be taken as symbolic - because if biblical miracles are taken as literal god = arbitrary and partisian- problem of evil etc. - so biblical accounts of miracles should not be taken as literal
- Christians would argue against and say that biblical miracles should be taken as literal and that they show gods providence / omnibenevolence/ he's omnipotent. / general& special providence - e.g beauty of the world & awnsered prayers.
????

Hey :smile: I have no idea if what i put was right, but i talked mainly about Wiles and also mentioned Tillich, Holland (briefly-i just put anything i could remember tbh) and I mentioned the traditional definition of a miracle and also Hume's definition. I messed up in the conclusion and ran out of time to finish it though :/ i'm sure you'll get points as long as you've linked everything to the question (i don't know if i did, i was in panic mode) what you've put seems alright, I'm not sure what else they would've expected us to write about :/
i hope their prediction that 5 will come up is accurate

lol

anyway, revision for ethics is not as bad as i thought it would be. much better than philosophy. currently nailing the conscience and free will
just checked the grade boundaries. 55/70 marks for an A (80ums) for ethics
dont know if i should be worried or not. that's 27.5/35 for each essay. don't think i can hack that :/
If anyone wants notes (basically class notes) on Anscombe, Foot, MacIntyre, Taylor and Hursthouse I'd be happy to send you some, providing you haven't got any cause it's just basically class ones. There are all for Modern Virtue Ethics and their theories. I haven't assessed their strengths or weaknesses as I don't feel like you need to.
Original post by caseyfattey69
just checked the grade boundaries. 55/70 marks for an A (80ums) for ethics
dont know if i should be worried or not. that's 27.5/35 for each essay. don't think i can hack that :/

Does that take into account how well you did at AS or not?
Original post by Emily Martha
Does that take into account how well you did at AS or not?

not sure what you're asking, but to get 80ums on philosophy a2 it's like 50/70 ums, whereas ethics a2, its 55/70 to get 80 ums. im just trying to say theyre expecting us to do really well on ethics if we want to pick up ums here
not sure what you're asking, but to get 80ums on philosophy a2 it's like 50/70 ums, whereas ethics a2, its 55/70 to get 80 ums. im just trying to say theyre expecting us to do really well on ethics if we want to pick up ums here

Maybe it's because they know how challenging and cruel they are with Philosophy, they have bump Ethics. I don't know if I wanted to know this to be honest..

Ah okay, I was just curious about the grade bounderies and weighting- namely, if you've done really badly in A2 but did well at AS will that help, but I'm pretty certain that it will
Hey all,

Does anyone have any typed A-grade essays on conscience or free-will they could share with me?
I just want to have a look at how to structure arguments on these two topics, especially free will.

If you do please send to [email protected] - would love you forever!!

I have revision notes on conscience, free will and meta-ethics in return if that would help anyone.

Woooo! Stop a sec! 55/70 was just June 2013 mark for an A - last year was judged as an easier paper. The year before was 53. On average, philosophy is normally lower (48-52) as people find that paper harder, but ethics normally ranges from 52-56. It's all dependant on how harder the paper is year on year.
Reply 990
Yes, and they are:

Question 1

Evaluate Freud's view that conscience is a product of our upbringing.
Question 2

"Businesses have no ethics because they have no conscience". Discuss.
Question 3

Which ethical theory you have studied has the best approach to issues surrounding contraception?
Question 4

"Virtue ethics is of no practical use in solving moral problems". Discuss.
Question 5

"Only a strong virtue ethic can protect the environment". Discuss.

where did these come from? how is there 5?
Original post by Cool_JordH
I found the info in my book, do you want me to send over revision notes for it?

Yes, thank you. Did you get the other notes I sent you for conscience, free will and meta ethics?
Original post by jack100
where did these come from? how is there 5?

The predictions I saw were all the same except Question 3 which was 'Natural Law provides the best approach to contraception'. Discuss.

Same topic anyway I suppose...
Ah okay, I was just curious about the grade bounderies and weighting- namely, if you've done really badly in A2 but did well at AS will that help, but I'm pretty certain that it will

Yes, it will! For example 320/400 is an A, it doesn't matter whether you get 200 at AS and 120 at A2 or 160 at AS and 160 at A2!

The only time that doesn't apply is for A* grades, they're more complex, though if that's what you were asking about I can explain :smile:
Original post by Anny Smiles
Yes, it will! For example 320/400 is an A, it doesn't matter whether you get 200 at AS and 120 at A2 or 160 at AS and 160 at A2!

The only time that doesn't apply is for A* grades, they're more complex, though if that's what you were asking about I can explain :smile:

Aah thanks :biggrin: and no I am extremely lucky not to need an A* :biggrin:
Hey does anyone have any model answers /notes for the predicted questions plz
Original post by naffy123
Hey does anyone have any model answers /notes for the predicted questions plz

come on bro, that would be too easy
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BrunoRussell
Yes, thank you. Did you get the other notes I sent you for conscience, free will and meta ethics?

I did indeed! Thank the Lord! I'm gonna start tomorrow or perhaps tonight, after Soaps galore aha! :P
Original post by Anny Smiles
Yes yes yes! I always end up putting "sans", instead of without, I think it's because it's shorter, haha :P

Which exam board are you for French? :smile:

Yes I actually do that with sans too haha!

I'm on WJEC, you? :smile:
Have some virtue theory notes ready now.
Email [email protected] and I will send them on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending