The Student Room Group

Exam tomorrow should I do an all nighter

Got my first exam tomorrow. I haven't done anywhere near the amount of revision that I should have. Debating staying up tonight and revising some of the content and doing some exam papers. Not sure if this is wise? Any ideas
It's almost never a good idea - turning up to an exam exhausted is just as bad as doing no revision. Do as much as you can now, but get an early night and have 7-8 hours sleep so you can get up early tomorrow and do last minute cramming.
Reply 2
At least get a few hours I would say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely not. Wake up a few hours earlier perhaps and do as much as you can.

Good luck :smile:
Get a few hours of sleep like 5 and cram
Reply 5
revise until like half 10 and relax before going to sleep, then you feel good in the morning
Definitely don't do this, I understand your situation and have been there but nothing will go in, tomorrow in your exam you will feel awful so even the stuff you had revised will go out your mind - unless your used to late nights don't risk it, perhaps 11 or 12 is the latest you could go if you want it to go in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I always went by the idea that if I don't know it now (the night before the exam) i'm not going to.

Get some good sleep, otherwise you're going to lack focus tomorrow. Get up a bit earlier if you feel you need to, and do some odd last bits of cramming then. If you don't sleep you'll probably do significantly worse, even if you spent that 7-8 hours trying to revise.
Reply 9
For circumstances like this, get at least 3 hours of sleep
Obviously don't do it all the time. Only do it for emergency purposes haha
Next time try revising earlier, less stress on your body and mind haha :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Right I know this is controversial but it really depends how you learn best. I can do an all nighter and get good grades but you may not be that sort of person, I always feel better if I stay up until say 4or 5 and as long as I get a couple of hours that usually makes it better. But see how you go if you start to feel as if you aren't absorbing information then it is time to go to be and get up early, good luck!
Original post by Anonymousgirll
Got my first exam tomorrow. I haven't done anywhere near the amount of revision that I should have. Debating staying up tonight and revising some of the content and doing some exam papers. Not sure if this is wise? Any ideas

Well. I think you should revise during the night for some hours and then go to sleep. You should do this because you dont want to risk failure. I have tried it and it worked. You may also wantto buy a energy drink in case.:smile:
Reply 12
I strongly recommend you dont do it, I think it would be better if you wake up earlier then normal (maybe 3/4) and cram in the morning if you need to revise more. Going in to a exam tired is one of the worst things you could do. Personally a properly functioning brain will be much more important for you then the revision during your all nighter.
If you're not already exhausted, then stay up and revise but make sure you get absolute minimum at least 5 hours, ideally 6 hours sleep and you'll be able to operate as normal. Short term pain for long term gain. You need at least a couple of sleep cycles before your exam so the revision gets stored in your head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the replies. I did decided against the all nighter as I was falling asleep after 10 yesterday. Woke up quite early today and did some revision. Exam went okay overall.
Original post by Anonymousgirll
Thanks for the replies. I did decided against the all nighter as I was falling asleep after 10 yesterday. Woke up quite early today and did some revision. Exam went okay overall.

Which exam was it?

Quick Reply