The Student Room Group

Why did you break up with your most recent bf/gf and how long were you going out?

For me:
- 1.5 years
- Mainly because of constant arguments that went round in circles and were never resolved.

I am intrigued to know why most people break up
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On and off 5 months, he found someone else and treated me badly. I miss him so much :frown:
7.5 years.
Found out she had been sending sexual messages to a guy at her work. Broke up with her and no contact since then as I refuse to speak to her or reply to messages (nearly a year since we broke up).

Sucked as we were planning a wedding, but the kind girl who does that to you, you don't want to marry.
Half a year, just fell outta love tbh, ended up with the same arguments and issues that werent going to change so i decided was time to end it.

Was pretty relieved after, and didnt want to lead her on anymore anyway
Reply 4
3 years.

It just got stale, we weren't as happy and felt like we were preventing each other getting on with certain aspects of our lives. In the end we were seeing each other because of necessity. As we had been together since leaving school. And arguments pretty much started from thin air.
I'm with someone amazing at the moment but I was with the boyfriend before him for a couple of months. Was kind of a weird relationship that would never have worked. He broke up with me because he felt we were too different and because he was sleeping with someone else, haha yay!
Original post by Clez
For me:
- 1.5 years
- Mainly because of constant arguments that went round in circles and were never resolved.

I am intrigued to know why most people break up

It was 6 months. Neither of us could really see it becoming serious so we decided to split up. Still chat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by The Bishman
7.5 years.
Found out she had been sending sexual messages to a guy at her work. Broke up with her and no contact since then as I refuse to speak to her or reply to messages (nearly a year since we broke up).

Sucked as we were planning a wedding, but the kind girl who does that to you, you don't want to marry.

Man thats terrible!
3 years. He said he wasn't sure if he ever loved me, after 2 years of repeatedly telling me he loved me a lot, and because I found out he had been masturbating on the webcam to strangers online throughout our relationship.

I broke up with my first boyfriend after about a month because he cheated on me on a night out.

I'm sensing a pattern here :frown:
One year.

He couldn't really make up his mind about us, needed loads of time away from me 'to think about it', constantly made me feel like he was just waiting for someone more suitable for him to come along. Broke up with me twice, and each time I (stupidly) took him back. A year down the line I'm with someone else now, and he finally realises he's made a stupid mistake :rolleyes:
We'd been going out for three years just broke up this week. We're both at separate uni's so had a crack at the long distance thing I found it really hard, to hard in the end :frown: we've both changed since coming uni as well so I didn't think we'd be happy in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One year.

I didn't love him, he loved me and didn't mind that I didn't love him. I obviously realised the whole thing was futile and I would never love him so I left.
Reply 12
14 months. My first girlfriend, both virgins, both each others first for everything, it was like one of those love movies.

Anyway, we had recently been angry at each other, and frustration built up and I cheated on her (I only gave foreplay, I didn't receive nor have sex nor kiss). Something I regret, will always regret, because she was the best thing I ever had.

I did the right thing though, I came clean 2 days later, I had to be honest, it was unfair. I accepted the consequences, she finished me and I have to deal with that.

People ask why I did it, I always bring up examples where people commit murders spontaneously, out of passion/emotion. It was not pre-meditated, they didn't set out to do it, it just happened. Don't those cases get less severe punishments? Basically I say that. I genuinely didn't mean for it to happen, it just did out of anger and frustration.
-2 weeks
-we were 6 and didn't really understand the concept of going out or love.

I was single for a very long time after that because I realised I was bi when I was 10 and got bullied. But now I have an amazing girlfriend :smile:
Breaking up with her today. Been together for 6 months.

Breaking up because I can't trust her anymore and although I love her, being with her doesn't make me happy - just unbelievably stressed. Every week there's some new crisis. I've tried being understanding but I can't understand.
2 years and just under 4 months.

- when it was good it was fantastic. When it was bad well it was horrendously bad. Absolutely vicious arguments
- not to mention the tiny fact cheated on twice.
Reply 16
8 months, I was with someone 7 years older than me that took drugs (for the hell of me I have no idea why) he used to rape me and hit me and then after I broke up with him I found out he'd been cheating on me for 5 months anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
21 years.

Why we split up?
-She felt I preferred working over spending time with her.
-She found it difficult to stomach she failed at every attempt to bring me down.
-She felt I used my financial muscles and resources to oppress her.
-General disagreements I suppose?
-I simply felt I had outgrown her, it seemed to me that despite all the opportunities I had given her she was still without qualification, zero employment prospects, zero business acumens and for the most part zero personality. She of course claimed it was me who had changed.
- 2 months
- It was actually a mutual agreement to end it. After about 3 weeks it became harder to keep in touch. She seemed so disinterested and we sort of agreed that I was putting in more effort to make it work than her. I always organised meeting up, I always sent the first message or started the phone call and she'd reply for a few minutes and then disappear inexplicably. I think it was for the best, and it ended last October.
5 months, he decided he can't cope with the distance between us when I'm at uni and he's at home. I'm heading home for summer in a couple days though and this only happened a couple of weeks ago so I'm still hopeful for a reunion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending