JackR7821
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

I am very interested in a career in IB or trading, but constantly see posts about 'target unis' 'further maths' 'engineering' etc etc and need some closure.

I will be studying three languages at university (German, Chinese, French). I have also seen that Warwick is a target university, but I did not take up my offer from Warwick in order to go to Leeds simply because I much prefer the course at Leeds (something which I believe is a good reason).

I would just like to pose the question: Does my choice of doing languages, and of going to Leeds limit me?

I know it also depends on how I do in A2's and at degree level, as well as work experience, but I count work experience and a career in IB itself as the same thing because if I'm not good enough for the internships, I probably won't be good enough for IB?

Thanks in advance,

Jack.

(My current A-levels are French, German, Economics, with AS Italian as well).
Hertz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cutmeloose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Languages degree is fine. Leeds is the part which might make things hard for you. The lack of a target university/quant background will make Trading even harder to break into.

By IB/Trading do you mean IBD or S&T, or reference to the industry as a whole, because if it's the latter..well.
JackR7821
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cutmeloose)
Languages degree is fine. Leeds is the part which might make things very hard for you.

By IB/Trading do you mean IBD or S&T, or reference to the industry as a whole, because if it's the latter..well.
I mean both. It was a fairly general question, and I understand I may be shot down for being too broad, I just thought I may be able to answer my questions, cheers
Tokyoround
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No chance for trading, possibly for IBD depending on your other skills/work ethic.
PrincePauper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JackR7821)
Hi guys,

I am very interested in a career in IB or trading, but constantly see posts about 'target unis' 'further maths' 'engineering' etc etc and need some closure.

I will be studying three languages at university (German, Chinese, French). I have also seen that Warwick is a target university, but I did not take up my offer from Warwick in order to go to Leeds simply because I much prefer the course at Leeds (something which I believe is a good reason).

I would just like to pose the question: Does my choice of doing languages, and of going to Leeds limit me?

I know it also depends on how I do in A2's and at degree level, as well as work experience, but I count work experience and a career in IB itself as the same thing because if I'm not good enough for the internships, I probably won't be good enough for IB?

Thanks in advance,

Jack.

(My current A-levels are French, German, Economics, with AS Italian as well).
Look into sales. Your languages will/could be an asset

Posted from TSR Mobile
JackR7821
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrincePauper)
Look into sales. Your languages will/could be an asset

Posted from TSR Mobile

What type of sales do you mean?
JackR7821
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tokyoround)
No chance for trading, possibly for IBD depending on your other skills/work ethic.
Just wondering, why ' No chance'? And could you elaborate on 'skills/work ethic', would be of great help.
Mr Chang
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just wondering, why ' No chance'? And could you elaborate on 'skills/work ethic', would be of great help.
1) Your going to leeds (not saying its a bad uni at all but definitely not a target by any stretch of the imagination)
2)trading requires quantitative degrees (STEM or whatever), IBD is much more lenient on degree choice

In my opinion, If you really want to make it in IBD take a gap year and reapply for better unis, get work experience/do some other **** that'll make you stand out, otherwise being brutally honest I don't think you have much of a chance at all unless you go H.A.M with the EC's/other things to show your interest.

If ibd is really what you want to do you really shot yourself in the foot by not firming Warwick. But it's not too late if you want it that bad
AnonymousPrince319413
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOL, just be a teacher.
JackR7821
Rep:
?
(Original post by 96jaimin96)
LOL, just be a teacher.
I refuse.
HeavyTeddy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do you want to go into IB?

Just an assumption, but it seems you actually don't know much about how IB works (from what I've been able to deduce from this thread). With all do respect, I question your motivation and the sacrifice your willing to make to get into IB, after all, you have made your chances significantly worse by rejecting your Warwick offer in place of Leeds. If I am right, please do read into IB because it requires an incredible amount of focus and dedication to get into, nevermind the actual job and the stress involved with that.
JackR7821
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeavyTeddy)
Why do you want to go into IB?

Just an assumption, but it seems you actually don't know much about how IB works (from what I've been able to deduce from this thread). With all do respect, I question your motivation and the sacrifice your willing to make to get into IB, after all, you have made your chances significantly worse by rejecting your Warwick offer in place of Leeds. If I am right, please do read into IB because it requires an incredible amount of focus and dedication to get into, nevermind the actual job and the stress involved with that.
I have done a lot of research and just wanted to know what anyone who may be able to answer thought of my fitting in to such an environment. Yes I didn't provide loads of details, but obviously if a language grad has never ever made it to IB, it would be worth knowing. And it's because of the fact that I've not seen such a post from someone doing languages that I ask this! So do you have any other advice?
AnonymousPrince319413
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I refuse.
Fair enough, you are better off doing a masters at LSE (or somewhere similar). Leeds university isn't really known in IB.
Hobes1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, you may of needed to start earlier, such as Alevel experience in IB to get your name out there... with those A levels, trading is off the cards - depending on if your dad is a trader at goldman or something xD. As for IBD, places such as JPM require a language to be on there Summer Analyst programme - could benefit you but depends on EVERYTHING else on your app. Refering to leeds, sorry but poor decision, good luck with that. My advice would be to network the **** out of everything in the coming months, but SW looks unlikely from here. Another route in may be needed.
JackR7821
Rep:
?
Do you just mean try to get in contact with as many people as possible / what would you recommend networking wise? Thanks.
Hobes1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you just mean try to get in contact with as many people as possible / what would you recommend networking wise? Thanks.
Network with people in the profession is what I mean. There are events designed for this, forums, internship opportunities at the likes of RBS (A level), have you done anything at all to do with IB??
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Planning to go into IB and rejecting Warwick shows a fundamental inability to do basic research and to make well informed and wise judgements.
Hobes1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
Planning to go into IB and rejecting Warwick shows a fundamental inability to do basic research and to make well informed and wise judgements.
Sorry but I second this, rookie error.
JackR7821
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hobes1)
Network with people in the profession is what I mean. There are events designed for this, forums, internship opportunities at the likes of RBS (A level), have you done anything at all to do with IB??
This question wasn't exclusively to do with IB. I have done work experience in PE / asset management. Unfortunately wasn't accepted for IB relatd things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%
No- I want it (120)
26.73%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.35%

Watched Threads