How to go about fixing my diet?

Watch
spleenharvester
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just to clarify, I'm actually quite underweight, I'm not looking for a slimming diet.

I'm going to start going to the gym 3 times a week after the exams so it's time I fixed my crappy junk food-filled diet to one that will complement my muscle gains etc. I **** you not there is almost nothing of nutritional value in my diet currently. Problem is I'm not great with lots of food.

I have to avoid sugars and oily foods as much as possible because I break out with acne (I had one bowl of ice cream the other day after avoiding them for a few weeks and I went from having a clear face to full on cystic acne, it's rediculous).

I have to avoid milk and cheese based stuff because again, I break out with acne, and I'm also lactose intolerant.

I also have to avoid vit-D and niacin supplements because they make be break out.

That rules out an awful lot of food, and most of that food seems to be in the generic healthy eating diet everyone suggests. Where should I start with putting a new diet together? Any ideas will be appreciated, I'm open to just about anything. I just know nothing about it.

Thankyou all in advance!
Kagutsuchi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by spleenharvester)
Just to clarify, I'm actually quite underweight, I'm not looking for a slimming diet.

I'm going to start going to the gym 3 times a week after the exams so it's time I fixed my crappy junk food-filled diet to one that will complement my muscle gains etc. I **** you not there is almost nothing of nutritional value in my diet currently. Problem is I'm not great with lots of food.

I have to avoid sugars and oily foods as much as possible because I break out with acne (I had one bowl of ice cream the other day after avoiding them for a few weeks and I went from having a clear face to full on cystic acne, it's rediculous).

I have to avoid milk and cheese based stuff because again, I break out with acne, and I'm also lactose intolerant.

I also have to avoid vit-D and niacin supplements because they make be break out.

That rules out an awful lot of food, and most of that food seems to be in the generic healthy eating diet everyone suggests. Where should I start with putting a new diet together? Any ideas will be appreciated, I'm open to just about anything. I just know nothing about it.

Thankyou all in advance!
There are still quite a lot you can eat, right?

Beans. Pulses. Vegetables. Chicken. Turkey. Fish. Beef. Nuts (unless you're counting this as oily?). Seeds. Carbs (rice, bread, etc.).

The golden rule of making a diet is to make it balanced. This means a balance of proteins, fats, carbs, nutrients, vitamins and fibre.

Just plan your meals and make them nutrient dense and tailored towards your fitness regime. For example, a chicken salad with avocado and crushed nuts.

Also, if you're seriously going to hit the gym fast and hard (which you really shouldn't do - work your way up to avoid injury) then you need to make sure your calorie and protein intake are up to the appropriate level to sustain your body growth and recovery.
Squirb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Solid advice from the above poster.

Try and work out your daily caloric intake requirements (by calculating your TDEE, there are calcs online) and then eat slightly above that.

WRT training, if it is your first time joining the gym, and you're looking to bulk up a bit, it would be wise to use a programme to maximise your 'noob gains' (e.g. try Stronglifts 5x5 to build a good foundation. They have an app which makes tracking easy, available spreadsheets, and forums)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shredz123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thankyou all in advance!
I'm glad you've actually caught on to the diet side of training first rather than go gym and hit weights because 9/10 it would be vice versa (as it was with me) and training with no diet =no gains and it's all about them gains, anyway diet keep it simple as possible no need to over do it chicken, steak, tuna etc and something wholemeal like brown rice or pasta slow digesting carbs and make sure to drink a lot of water I mean a lot! Train hard brother!
spleenharvester
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Revisiting this for the first time in a while I've calculated my TDEE and all the various proportions I need using IIFYM:

Problem is, how am I meant to get near to 2466?

A bowl of pasta is like 200 calories. Same goes for a sirloin steak. Unless I had like 8 meals a day I wouldn't get close.

Am I missing something really stupid here or? If I do have to eat near that much I certainly won't be able to maintain it through uni :/
drewBusby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Revisiting this for the first time in a while I've calculated my TDEE and all the various proportions I need using IIFYM:

Problem is, how am I meant to get near to 2466?

A bowl of pasta is like 200 calories. Same goes for a sirloin steak. Unless I had like 8 meals a day I wouldn't get close.

Am I missing something really stupid here or? If I do have to eat near that much I certainly won't be able to maintain it through uni :/
2446kcal is not that much tbh. I nearly consume twice the amount.
Make a home made shake choc whey, pea nut butter, oats and milk. Taste sweet and it can be caloric dense meal replacement.

btw do you want to bulk?
MattBerry96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What I find helps to get in the calories is just eating a load of fruit everyday. I normally go through at least 2 apples, 2 bananas and a pack of mango a few times a week. Its great to eat in between meals as its helps fill you up and is very healthy. Nuts are also a good snack to have as they have quite a bit of protein and healthy fats.

In regards to your lactose intolerance, you can buy milk alternatives such as almond, soya, rice milk which are arguably healthier than dairy milk and won't make you ill so maybe try them.

I have found that it takes times experimenting with different foods to determine what works for you e.g I know that if I have 2 glasses of water, glass of orange juice and some porridge with muesli I am going to be able to be productive that morning whether I'm out training or doing other stuff. So try different things and you will quickly find what foods work for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.68%
I'm not sure (54)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (567)
48.38%

Watched Threads