park1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I don't understand the answer to the second part of the question. Why is the electron excited when an electron collides, but not when the photon??

Here's the energy level diagram provided:

Please could someone help. I got my AS exam tomorrow!!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
Webbykun
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm just going to guess since it's been a while since I did Physics and I don't know if anyone else will reply in time so perhaps what I say may be of some help.

You're probably aware that an electron can only inhabit a discrete energy level. In the first part, since the collision is inelastic so kinetic energy is not conserved, it may transfer one of the discrete amounts of energy to the electron required to move it up to B or C; leaving the colliding electron with the difference between it's initial kinetic energy and the energy it took to move the ground electron up to B or C. It can't make the electron move up to D because the incoming electron simply doesn't have enough energy. Similarly, for the photon question, since it's energy doesn't match that of any of the energy levels, the electron will be unable to absorb it so nothing happens.
nimnim9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the electron will get excited to level C. However energy levels are not there for unit 1 paper if your doing IAL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.58%
I'm not sure (8)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (85)
36.8%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (98)
42.42%

Watched Threads