Should the UK have been allies with Germany in WWI? Watch

carlisomes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This would have meant more colonies in Africa, no Belgian Congolese genocide, no WWII (at least as we know it in the real world), etc?

There is no way France could have defeated the UK and Germany. Also, Germany would have eventually become a constitutional monarchy like we are, and there would have been no reason for Hitler to rise (no Versailles Treaty or faulty Weimar Republic).
Snappingbee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How an earth would this of happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OR Germany would have conquered France, Allied with the UK and then dragged us into a war with Russia.

Lots of possibilities, none of them worth thinking about.
Snappingbee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seeing as the war was AGAINST germany, if we allied with them there wouldnt have been a war

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dabossi89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carlisomes)
This would have meant more colonies in Africa, no Belgian Congolese genocide, no WWII (at least as we know it in the real world), etc?

There is no way France could have defeated the UK and Germany. Also, Germany would have eventually become a constitutional monarchy like we are, and there would have been no reason for Hitler to rise (no Versailles Treaty or faulty Weimar Republic).
I agree there would be no WW2 and certain wars would have never happened but think about the alternative, Germany constantly expanding. This in itself means that there would be countless wars anyway
carlisomes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
OR Germany would have conquered France, Allied with the UK and then dragged us into a war with Russia.

Lots of possibilities, none of them worth thinking about.
So you control what I can or cannot speculate on? OK...
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So you control what I can or cannot speculate on? OK...
I meant it in a "they would all be very horrible" type way, not in a "you shouldn't be talking about it" way. Sorry, I wasn't very clear
Oldcon1953
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. The U.S. wouldn't have entered the war and my father would have never visited the
sunny beaches of Normandy.

EDIT Sorry, wrong war.
Snappingbee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Right at the end ill add

Posted from TSR Mobile
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unlikely. The UK's casus bellum was Germany's violation of the Treaty of London respecting Belgium's neutrality. It's also been an ancient policy of Britain never to permit the Low Countries being dominated by any one Power. So for us to side with Germany in WW1 would have violated everything we understand about the motivations of Britain's leaders back then.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the sickness lurking in Germany's soul would have found its way out eventually.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
the sickness lurking in Germany's soul would have found its way out eventually.
Exactly

Germany Must Perish!

:sexface:
Snappingbee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
**** germany anyway its a ****hole

Posted from TSR Mobile
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

The Congo genocide had already happened by the time of the Great War. They may have been no reason for Hitler to rise, but who's to say that a French version wouldn't have? Most likely we'd have simply butted heads with Germany in the end anyway.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Britain should have declared war on the Ottomans only, not Germany. It was the European civil war which led to the collapse of civilisation in the 20th century.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Germany would have used its continental empire to build a navy that would eventually turn Britain into a subject state.

I agree that WWI was a blunder but it was Germany's blunder, and having made it there was little else the Western powers could do than what they did. Germany believed it was being encircled and would eventually be attacked, and decided to pre-empt these threats by launching the war it believed was coming anyway on its own terms at a time of its choosing. The problem is that in doing so they frightened a lot of passive on-lookers into the camp of their enemies, and it was ultimately these powers, not Russia and France, that brought about their defeat.

They did much the same in WWII, trying to build a buffer zone against Russia at the cost of war with Britain and France, when if they had simply waited for Russia to invade Poland first it's likely Britain and France would have piled in behind Germany, giving them their only real hope of victory. Germany has always had the tactical and technical geniuses, but the strategic dunces.
AntisthenesDogger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Russia had more chance of allying with the German Empire than Britain did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (20)
6.92%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.03%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.68%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.14%

Watched Threads