The Student Room Group

Applicants without gcse maths and English rejected for access courses

Following my application for an access course I was invited to attend an open day/ assessment at a local college. At this open day we were informed that if applicants do not have gcse maths and English they will not be accepted on the course, and this was a decision made by the department of education following universities change of entry requirements this year.

I along with most people there were very disappointed. They said our only option is if we don't have English and maths gcse is to do the access course for 2 years, and they said all colleges are now doing the same for all access courses starting September. Did anyone else get told the same thing from their college?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I understand that this is the new requirement. You used to get GCSE English and Maths equivalents from a one year Access course. However, it's been judged that standards between Access courses are too variable and that a one year access course no longer gives this.

GCSE English and Maths passes are mandatory for most undergrad degrees, just to ensure that applicants provide proof of basic literacy and numeracy. Given that a one year Access course without them will no longer be accepted, colleges now have to either insist on those GCSEs as part of their entry requirement for the one year course, or offer a two year course which gives those qualifications or equivalents.

There's no point a college putting a student through a one year Access course, knowing that their uni application would be automatically rejected even if they passed with a good mark.
Reply 2
I understand the gcse equivalence is no longer included in access course and therefore I planned on taking my maths gcse at the same time as the access course either in the evenings or day off. I just think its unfair to make students do two year pre access course when people like me are commited to gaining our gcse prior to starting university, and I think if the applicant shows commitment to do this then they should not be rejected for the access course.

I personally feel by rejecting students who are planning on taking their gcse before undergraduate degree is holding them back. This means that it will take me 6 years to achieve my goal of becoming a sonographer and I'm no spring chicken.
Original post by Daisy pearl
I understand the gcse equivalence is no longer included in access course and therefore I planned on taking my maths gcse at the same time as the access course either in the evenings or day off. I just think its unfair to make students do two year pre access course when people like me are commited to gaining our gcse prior to starting university, and I think if the applicant shows commitment to do this then they should not be rejected for the access course.

I personally feel by rejecting students who are planning on taking their gcse before undergraduate degree is holding them back. This means that it will take me 6 years to achieve my goal of becoming a sonographer and I'm no spring chicken.

I think it maybe just your local college because my college accepted me without the maths GCSE and I am allowed to take it along with my access. They just tested me before they accepted me to make sure I was up to scratch. I also contacted the universities I was interested in and they said it fine as long as I have the maths GCSE before I start.
What if you have a GCSE equivalent like city and guilds?
Reply 5
Original post by pluswhite
I think it maybe just your local college because my college accepted me without the maths GCSE and I am allowed to take it along with my access. They just tested me before they accepted me to make sure I was up to scratch. I also contacted the universities I was interested in and they said it fine as long as I have the maths GCSE before I start.

I had a feeling as did others that it was just this college who are doing this, the strange part is they have said all colleges have now made this change which is clearly not the case as your college is happy to accept applicants without gcse maths and English
Reply 6
Original post by New- Emperor
What if you have a GCSE equivalent like city and guilds?

No they said only gcses will be accepted and not even equivalents gained from GNVQ, btec etc
Reply 7
your college is happy to accept applicants without gcse maths and English

You also need to be aware that unis will no longer accept a 1 year Access course without GCSE English and Maths passes.

The college might let you study an Access course without them, but the Access course alone will be no good for uni entrance afterwards.
No they said only gcses will be accepted and not even equivalents gained from GNVQ, btec etc

**** I worked hard on that I then got a GNVQ then I got an A Level in ICT and a low classed degree so basically I am not allowed to go back to uni?
Reply 9

I think it's for the best. I don't want to sound insensitive but you'll have a very difficult time at university without these basic qualifications. Universities are complaining that their students from access courses often drop out because their access course didn't adequately prepare them. It's unfair to future access students because now universities are increasing their entry requirements and making their conditions almost impossible for even the most intelligent access students to meet.

I'm on an access course right now and I see many of my classmates getting high grades in 5000 word essays without having one sentence that's grammatically correct.

So while I'm earning my distinctions, others are being gifted with them, so of course they'd struggle at university. No doubt this has been happening in the past, hence the university complaints.
Reply 10
Original post by New- Emperor
**** I worked hard on that I then got a GNVQ then I got an A Level in ICT and a low classed degree so basically I am not allowed to go back to uni?

Doing a second degree carries its own problems. You're not entitled to Student Funding for a second degree unless it's for a medicine-related or teaching degree, so you'd have to be self-funding. That means paying your own tuition fees for the entire degree course.
Original post by Klix88
You also need to be aware that unis will no longer accept a 1 year Access course without GCSE English and Maths passes.

The college might let you study an Access course without them, but the Access course alone will be no good for uni entrance afterwards.

Not true. Not all Universities or courses ask for GCSE's.
Is this a requirement for every college now? I have no GCSE's, but I have the equivalents already.
Original post by WhiteWalker
Is this a requirement for every college now? I have no GCSE's, but I have the equivalents already.

Well according to my college it's a requirement for all colleges from September, however, some colleges have not applied this condition. I was informed equivalents will not be accepted only GCSE's and these will have have been taken within the last five years but my college have said they do not mind how old the GCSE's. it's best to check with the colleges you have applied to as there seems to be conflicting information about this.
Original post by Rednekk
I think it's for the best. I don't want to sound insensitive but you'll have a very difficult time at university without these basic qualifications. Universities are complaining that their students from access courses often drop out because their access course didn't adequately prepare them. It's unfair to future access students because now universities are increasing their entry requirements and making their conditions almost impossible for even the most intelligent access students to meet.

I'm on an access course right now and I see many of my classmates getting high grades in 5000 word essays without having one sentence that's grammatically correct.

So while I'm earning my distinctions, others are being gifted with them, so of course they'd struggle at university. No doubt this has been happening in the past, hence the university complaints.

I get the feeling you didn't understand my point. I'm not against the fact that students have to have GCSE's prior to undertaking undergraduate degrees as I can see how important this is especially for certain subjects. What I'm against is rejecting students for access courses simply for the fact they do not have GCSE math and or English at the time of applying for the access course, especially since the GCSE's exam can be sat whilst studying for the access course separately. For the college to even go as far as to say we will not accept you for the access course even with GCSE equivalents gained from btec etc, or even if you are willing to gain your GCSE prior to applying for university is unfair in my opinion, especially since some universities do not ask for GCSE's or accept equivalents I fail to see why a college will be altering their entry requirement for access courses.

In regards to some access students not doing as well as others but are still awarded high grades I see that as a separate issue and one which lies with the teachers that are handing out the 'undeserved high grades'. This is why the pre entry exam is important so that teachers can identify which stage each student is at and offer individuals advice and support.
I had an interview at my local college two weeks ago for an access course and they said the exact thing to me. Or else I won't be allowed to do the access course and they suggested I do one year of maths and English and then apply it again the next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know whether I would be able to get on to a maths and english gcse course in September now? I can't believe this.

Is there any other way I can go about getting my GCSE's without going the college route? Maybe teach myself and apply for the test independently?
Does anyone know whether I would be able to get on to a maths and english gcse course in September now? I can't believe this.

Is there any other way I can go about getting my GCSE's without going the college route? Maybe teach myself and apply for the test independently?

I called admissions to a few local colleges asking them about maths gcse for September and all have said there are limited spaces left and I need to submit my application in ASAP. Now that the access courses will not include gcse equivalents the GCSE's courses are getting very popular and some get filled pretty quick. I would call the colleges and check.

I believe you can do the test independently I'm sure i came across a few people who did it this way on this forum. Perhaps do a search and the threads should come up.
I called admissions to a few local colleges asking them about maths gcse for September and all have said there are limited spaces left and I need to submit my application in ASAP. Now that the access courses will not include gcse equivalents the GCSE's courses are getting very popular and some get filled pretty quick. I would call the colleges and check.

I believe you can do the test independently I'm sure i came across a few people who did it this way on this forum. Perhaps do a search and the threads should come up.

I've looked at my local college website and it says they do a pre GCSE course. What is this? Is it just a course for people to get up to GCSE standard?
(edited 9 years ago)
I've looked at my local college website and it says they do a pre GCSE course. What is this? Is it just a course for people before GCSE.

Yes, Pre GCSE courses are level 1 and are designed to prepare you for GCSE's which is level 2.

Latest

Trending

Trending