The Student Room Group

It's crunch time! Top tips for nailing your exams! :)

...so, it’s all been leading up to this: hours of revising; blood, sweat and toil; tears, hundreds of cups of tea and probably way too many pot noodles. :work:

Now is the moment of truth! Your time has come.

:dumbells:

Here’s how to stay calm and smash those exams….

The night before:

Sleep Well
:sleep:

Do something relaxing the hour before you go to bed take a bath, watch a film, read a book; anything that’s not study related, so you can wind down and have a good night’s sleep. You want to wake up bright eyed and bushy-tailed! :bath:

Get organised!
:yy:

Set yourself up with a little ‘exam kit’. Keep it in your bag/somewhere safe so you don’t have to run around panicking and looking for the basics each time before your exam. The examiners will have spare pens, but it’s much less stressful knowing that you’re prepared for anything. Your kit should include:

Clear pencil case with everything you’ll need
: several blue and black ball point pens, some highlighters, a pencil and a rubber/ruler/etc.

Bottled water

Tissues (in case you have a cold) :sick:

Student ID Card

Lucky underpants
(optional)

Just before the exam:

Don’t cram!

There’s no point in trying to cram in a whole load of new info whilst you’re waiting for the invigilator to open the doors. You’re just going to confuse and stress yourself out. Lightly re-read through your notes if you have to, but otherwise chat to your friends, try some deep breathing exercises and:

Relax.

You are here. You’re either as prepared or underprepared as you’re ever going to be so there’s no point stressing. All you can do now is make the best of it!

Turn off your mobile phone (same goes for music players, tablets, tamagotchis, etc.), make sure it’s in your bag not your pocket!

During the Exam:

First, make sure you’re in the right seat and you’ve got no notes or electronics on you. Second, read the exam instructions! Upon hearing the dreaded words… ‘You may turn over your paper now’ -

Stop! Breathe. You have plenty of time but manage it wisely

Spend five minutes reading through the entire paper before you start answering questions. Don’t just dive in straight away! Decide which questions you’re going to answer (if you have the choice).

Be aware of the time and make sure you’re spending the right amount of time for each question. Be strict with yourself you don’t want to wind up with only 10 minutes to answer a 40 mark question.

If you come across a question which you can’t answer don’t dwell on it, move straight on to the next question then come back to it later. You might have just needed a minute to remember, or another question might jog your memory.

Plan your answers.

If you have essay-based answers, spend 5 minutes writing out a plan. This will save you time in the long run! The easiest way is to make a simple mind-map of the points you’ll talk about and then number them into paragraphs. It also lets you do a mini-brainstorm which will help you to remember everything you’ve learned.

After the exam:

If you reckon you smashed it, then use that as great motivation for the rest of your exams! :cool:

If you’re worrying about how it went - don’t dwell on it. Focus on your other exams, as they’re what’s important now. There’s no point in worrying about what’s already been done. :^_^:

Give yourself a break, and a chance to properly wind down so that you’re ready for the next exam. :tea:

Anyone else got any advice for smashing your exams? :biggrin:

:woo:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
really helpful ;D
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
...so, it’s all been leading up to this: hours of revising; blood, sweat and toil; tears, hundreds of cups of tea and probably way too many pot noodles. :work:

The night before:

Sleep Well

Do something relaxing the hour before you go to bed take a bath, watch a film, read a book; anything that’s not study related, so you can wind down and have a good night’s sleep. You want to wake up bright eyed and bushy-tailed! :bath:

Get organised!

Set yourself up with a little ‘exam kit’. Keep it in your bag/somewhere safe so you don’t have to run around panicking and looking for the basics each time before your exam. The examiners will have spare pens, but it’s much less stressful knowing that you’re prepared for anything. Your kit should include:

: several blue and black ball point pens, some highlighters, a pencil and a rubber/ruler/etc.

Bottled water

Student ID Card

Lucky underpants
(optional)

Just before the exam:

Don’t cram!

There’s no point in trying to cram in a whole load of new info whilst you’re waiting for the invigilator to open the doors. You’re just going to confuse and stress yourself out. Lightly re-read through your notes if you have to, but otherwise chat to your friends, try some deep breathing exercises and:

Relax.

You are here. You’re either as prepared or underprepared as you’re ever going to be so there’s no point stressing. All you can do now is make the best of it!

Turn off your mobile phone (same goes for music players, tablets, tamagotchis, etc.), make sure it’s in your bag not your pocket!

During the Exam:

First, make sure you’re in the right seat and you’ve got no notes or electronics on you. Second, read the exam instructions! Upon hearing the dreaded words… ‘You may turn over your paper now’ -

Spend five minutes reading through the entire paper before you start answering questions. Don’t just dive in straight away! Decide which questions you’re going to answer (if you have the choice).

Be aware of the time and make sure you’re spending the right amount of time for each question. Be strict with yourself you don’t want to wind up with only 10 minutes to answer a 40 mark question.

If you come across a question which you can’t answer don’t dwell on it, move straight on to the next question then come back to it later. You might have just needed a minute to remember, or another question might jog your memory.

Plan your answers.

If you have essay-based answers, spend 5 minutes writing out a plan. This will save you time in the long run! The easiest way is to make a simple mind-map of the points you’ll talk about and then number them into paragraphs. It also lets you do a mini-brainstorm which will help you to remember everything you’ve learned.

After the exam:

If you reckon you smashed it, then use that as great motivation for the rest of your exams! :cool:

If you’re worrying about how it went - don’t dwell on it. Focus on your other exams, as they’re what’s important now. There’s no point in worrying about what’s already been done. :^_^:

Give yourself a break, and a chance to properly wind down so that you’re ready for the next exam. :tea:

I agree with this completely! Make sure you have a nutritious breakfast too
Reply 3
No point having blue pens, as no examsallow them, black pens only, and for some exams black balll point only.
Also, if there is a mixture of short and extended anwers, dont do all the extended ones at once, certainly not at the end, since your hand will get exhausted and cramped
Original post by Samshish
No point having blue pens, as no examsallow them, black pens only, and for some exams black balll point only.
Also, if there is a mixture of short and extended anwers, dont do all the extended ones at once, certainly not at the end, since your hand will get exhausted and cramped

The pens depend on your exam board, doesn't it? For the exams I sit you can use blue/black, preferably ball point, but they won't complain if you use liquid ink (though it's not technically allowed). I'm all up on the pen knowledge, brah. :wink:
About reading through the paper before starting, does it not waste time?
Reply 6
Don't eat rubbish just before your exam: I ate too much chocolate just before my first one and felt like I was going to throw up! Not a good feel to have.
Reply 7
Original post by daisychain_

Definitely not! It's better to think through your answers and get it right than rush and get it wrong. If you don't you could start, like, a 20 mark essay, and only be able to write 1 paragraph. Same goes for essay plans - many think they're a waste of time. but it makes sure you include everything you know concisely and stops you waffling pointlessly.
Original post by alicja_p
Don't eat rubbish just before your exam: I ate too much chocolate just before my first one and felt like I was going to throw up! Not a good feel to have.

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a.png

But in all seriousness, managing a good sleep the night before is hugely important. Let us not forget that lots of exam styles rely heavily on memory (remembering the facts; remembering how to find the facts). Links have been demonstrated between sleep - both REM and non-REM - and the fixation of memories. In theory, good sleep leads to stronger memories which leads to better exam performance.

a bar of chocolate is good, it provides a quick glucose boost which your brain needs to function at is optimum
Original post by tanya21
Definitely not! It's better to think through your answers and get it right than rush and get it wrong. If you don't you could start, like, a 20 mark essay, and only be able to write 1 paragraph. Same goes for essay plans - many think they're a waste of time. but it makes sure you include everything you know concisely and stops you waffling pointlessly.

I have heard it is a good idea because you actually have time to think about questions, but I have done all my essay exams, would it work for maths and science?
Original post by C7jnr
a bar of chocolate is good, it provides a quick glucose boost which your brain needs to function at is optimum

Yeah a little sugar does nobody harm, but I'm talking when you eat too much :tongue:

I agree, at least with non-essay, question-answer papers like maths. But I do always check the number of questions in the paper to help me manage my time.

Not at all - it's about being prepared for what questions are coming up and approaching the paper as a whole. :smile: It's good for maths and science too!

Not reading the paper through first is the exam equivalent of trying to get through a mine field by putting a blind-fold on, running like hell and hoping for the best. Reading the paper is like minesweeping before you cross- OK, you still have to avoid the mines, but at least now you know where they are. :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
My top tips!

Coffee
If you're a person who doesn't drink coffee, then don't cram one before the exam. You'll feel hyper and then you'll have a drop. Not good.
If you're someone who does drink coffee, this will depend on your own body, but I personally have a coffee around 1.5 - 2 hours before the exam. Wakes me up, makes me feel alert but it DOESN'T give me a drop half way through the exam!

Sleep!
Sleeping well is a great tip. I find it's a bit incomplete though - You want a good nights sleep before the exam. But don't think that you can suddenly go to bed at 9pm when you've been cramming revision in up until 1 or 2am for the week before! Your body likes routine (at least most of our bodies do). My top sleeping tip is to go to sleep at the time you want to on the night before the exam for at least a day before, maybe two.

Waking up!
It's all great having a good sleep, but are you waking early enough? For me, the best way to feel fresh for an exam is to get up about 6.30am for a 9:15 exam. (I've got a short, 20 minute commute time). This gives me plenty of time to eat my breakfast, read a non exam related book and get to the exam on time and it also leads on to my next tip....

...The morning of the exam. One of the best things I like to do is go for a short cycle or run. This wakes my body up and makes it feel more alert, as my body gets moving, so does my brain! But... DON'T OVER DO IT! I do a lot of cycling, a quick 25 minute ride up my local lhill is great for me, but it may not be for you! For you, your early morning exercise might just be going for a short walk at 6.30 in the morning whilst the birds are still singing! (This may not work so well for you city folk!)

And finally, my NUMBER ONE tip for exams.

What is it you almost always have with you or available at short notice during your revision? (No, not google!) Food! Bring food in to your exam! Be aware that not all invigilators may like this, I've not had any problems so far in my first 3 exams and it's been great. Remove any packing from your chosen food and put your food into a clear, plastic food bag. My first exam I had haribo, my second fudge, my third chocolate (I prebroke the chocolate up so it wouldn't be distracting and left the bag very open so there wasn't any ruslting - Although it's still quieter than getting another pencil out your pencil case!)

Please note - There is nothing in the exams regulations about this that I've seen, but there is no reason not to do it. You could bring anything, a bannana cut up into pieces, anything really that isn't crunchy (so as not to disturb anyone else) and isn't messy. But just be careful that you don't eat anything you wouldn't have eaten in your revision preiods! You know what makes your body a bit hyper and unable to concentrate and what gives you that mental edge!

- Clubmeber
In essay based subjects I never read ahead so I can focus on one question at a time - I would just think about later questions if I knew what they were instead of being concentrated on the current question.

The night before:

Sleep Well

Get organised!

Bottled water

Student ID Card

Lucky underpants
(optional)

Just before the exam:

Don’t cram!

Relax.

During the Exam:

Plan your answers.

After the exam:

this is VERY helpful! thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another tip-if your stuck for information and feeling confused goto the toilet and u will come bck refreshed
Yeah a little sugar does nobody harm, but I'm talking when you eat too much :tongue:

fair enough
Not at all - it's about being prepared for what questions are coming up and approaching the paper as a whole. :smile: It's good for maths and science too!

Not reading the paper through first is the exam equivalent of trying to get through a mine field by putting a blind-fold on, running like hell and hoping for the best. Reading the paper is like minesweeping before you cross- OK, you still have to avoid the mines, but at least now you know where they are. :wink:

Thats true, I will read through the paper from now on, thank you :smile: also brilliant advice in the OP!

Quick Reply

Latest