ApexT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys,

Just looking for some help with his question:

The concentration of a reactant halves every 20 minutes. What are the units of the rate constant for this reaction?

Am I right in saying that this would be a first order reaction because the reactant has a steady half life? From this the rate constant would then be S-1. How would this differ from a second order reaction?

Thanks
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ApexT)
Hey guys,

The concentration of a reactant halves every 20 minutes. What are the units of the rate constant for this reaction?

Am I right in saying that this would be a first order reaction because the reactant has a steady half life? From this the rate constant would then be S-1. How would this differ from a second order reaction?

Thanks
Yes, 1st order reaction = constant half life.

What do you mean "how does this differ from 2nd order?"
JacobAlevels
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ApexT)
Hey guys,

Thanks
Yep it's a 1st order reaction. The equation for the rate would be rate=k[A] with A being the reactant whose conc halves, so to work out the units of k:
k=rate/[A]=s^{-1}/moldm^{-3}=mol^{-1}dm^{3}s^{-1}
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ApexT)
How would this differ from a second order reaction?
How does the concentration change in a 2nd order reaction?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads