The Student Room Group

Buss1 Exam May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mylekab
I think i did okay when reading most of your comments just hope i didnt ramble abit in the essay questions. The calculations were definatley made to throw you especially the first one about variable cost. But from reading most your answers i put similar so feeling okay about it. Hows everyone feeling about unit 2?

If it's going to be different like the Buss 1 we just did, then it'll be pretty hard... If they decide to give a normal paper, then good, I actually prefer Buss 2, simply because of preference when writing about the stuff learned, my only issue is timing at the moment. Either way, I think it's going to take a lot of revising for it :tongue:
Original post by Rem0rse
If it's going to be different like the Buss 1 we just did, then it'll be pretty hard... If they decide to give a normal paper, then good, I actually prefer Buss 2, simply because of preference when writing about the stuff learned, my only issue is timing at the moment. Either way, I think it's going to take a lot of revising for it :tongue:

For the last question, would I still get marks for knowledge and application, and developing points on incorrect figures? If so, out of the 15 marks, how many would I get/lose?
Reply 22
Incredibly easy, they have to be made harder, GCSE business is the same thing/level as buss1.
What did everyone get for that percentage of fixed costs question????
Reply 24
Anyone know when the grade boundaries come out?
Original post by TommoN
Anyone know when the grade boundaries come out?

Day before results day mate
This exam was so biased towards finance, only the definitions and the questions about legal protection and market research were non-finance questions. It was a bit ridiculous I thought, since you only needed to learn one chunk off the specification and you're sorted. The other past papers spread the topics out a lot more. Definitely resitting this paper next year, no matter what mark I get. Fingers crossed AQA have made a better job on BUSS2, although I doubt it strongly now.

Even the first few formula questions were twisted, the numbers were all over the place. If they put a table in the case study detailling all the costs/prices/revenues etc, it would have been more straightforward.

Likewise, how well you did in the first few questions + the breakeven part pretty much influenced the last 15 mark question, a bit unfair really.

But like I said, definitions, breakeven chart and the legal stuff were fair questions I suppose.
Original post by serebro
This exam was so biased towards finance, only the definitions and the questions about legal protection and market research were non-finance questions. It was a bit ridiculous I thought, since you only needed to learn one chunk off the specification and you're sorted. The other past papers spread the topics out a lot more. Definitely resitting this paper next year, no matter what mark I get. Fingers crossed AQA have made a better job on BUSS2, although I doubt it strongly now.

Even the first few formula questions were twisted, the numbers were all over the place. If they put a table in the case study detailling all the costs/prices/revenues etc, it would have been more straightforward.

Likewise, how well you did in the first few questions + the breakeven part pretty much influenced the last 15 mark question, a bit unfair really.

But like I said, definitions, breakeven chart and the legal stuff were fair questions I suppose.

Why would you definitely resit "no matter what mark" you get? Seems to me like you know you've done badly... Obviously if you got a good mark, resitting would be a waste of time. All the questions were 'fair'. If you had revised properly, you wouldn't be having problems now. It was just as easy as any of the past papers I've looked at.
I thought the exam board were quite cheeky for putting in so many finance questions, especially the contribution question which involved a lot of workings out!

I have been doing business studies for 4 years now, (obviously AS level currently and year 9-11 at GCSE level). I got an A at GCSE so therefore my general understanding of the subject is okay, however I have always struggled with maths- I even had a maths tutor.

Even with 4 years of this subject behind me the financial side has never been my friend, so obviously I was pissed when I saw the amount of calculations in this paper! I guess even with my finance revision, I just didn't do enough!

I was fine with the first 2 definition questions and my 3 essays included pretty much everything you guys have put in your answers- I even managed to get the same answers as everyone in the very last questions which was financed based!

However, when it came to the short answer finance questions and the graph, I could only guess my answers! I tried and tried but in the end I thought it's better to guess and move on to the essay questions to secure marks than try to get the right answer on the finance questions!

So now I'm hoping for some nice wordy questions in the BUSS2 paper and barely any finance as well as lowered grade boundaries! But knowing AQA, that is highly unlikely!

Good luck everyone for BUSS2:smile:
Abbie xo
Original post by abbielouise0611
I thought the exam board were quite cheeky for putting in so many finance questions, especially the contribution question which involved a lot of workings out!

I have been doing business studies for 4 years now, (obviously AS level currently and year 9-11 at GCSE level). I got an A at GCSE so therefore my general understanding of the subject is okay, however I have always struggled with maths- I even had a maths tutor.

Even with 4 years of this subject behind me the financial side has never been my friend, so obviously I was pissed when I saw the amount of calculations in this paper! I guess even with my finance revision, I just didn't do enough!

I was fine with the first 2 definition questions and my 3 essays included pretty much everything you guys have put in your answers- I even managed to get the same answers as everyone in the very last questions which was financed based!

However, when it came to the short answer finance questions and the graph, I could only guess my answers! I tried and tried but in the end I thought it's better to guess and move on to the essay questions to secure marks than try to get the right answer on the finance questions!

So now I'm hoping for some nice wordy questions in the BUSS2 paper and barely any finance as well as lowered grade boundaries! But knowing AQA, that is highly unlikely!

Good luck everyone for BUSS2:smile:
Abbie xo

I'm sure you did well! There's no point worrying about Buss1 anymore, just concentrate on preparing for Buss2. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending