The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Science (B1 C1 P1) 19 May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahussainxxx
hi I did this exam and for that question I got 10 depress. This is because you do the equation which gives you 30 but then it asks you for the temperature change so you needed to do 30-20 equals 10. Anyways I was taking to my teacher about this question and he said that you'll get one mark for putting 30 (doing the equation) and another mark for working out the temperature rise by doing(30-20) either way you will still get a mark

I may be completely wrong, but as the question was for temperature change, when you substitute the equations in, the answer should be 30, right? I mean, the initial temperature (20 degrees) shouldn't really matter at all.
I wrote 30 degrees first,then crossed it outand put 10,and then changed it to 30... so idk but yeah.
What about the electromagnetic waves questions in the physics section?

For the first one, which said describe the arrows, I did increasing wavelength,and the second one, I did increasing energy. What about you guys?
For the next question I got 300,000,000 and for part b, I wrote something along the lines of "they all travel at 300,000,000- 'the speed of light'"
Not sure if this makes sense lol
It threw me a bit as most of what i had revised was not in there so i had to go with what i could remember, i hope it went well i know i've got a lot wrong unfortunately but its done and dusted just have to hope for the best
Hi yeah sme here I found physics the easiest, especially the 6 marker all you had to do was describe the data and say about melanin. On the biology one did u get question 1 part b as I was totattly unsure. The 6 marker one on biology I tried to describe using the data given about person a and b didn't know anything else about insulin

I wrote a couple of sentences about insulin ( that it is produced in the pancreas and excess glucose is turned into glycogen and stored in the liver)- didn't really know what to say tbh!

And I don't think the question was about two different people- I believe it was the same person taking the two injections at different times right? Not really sure now lol
Original post by LeonNiall
I thought that the six marker for Physics was much easier in comparison to the others. For Biology, the six marker for me was very tough as i had not revised at all on insulin!

Agreed! Yes, the physics one was the most simplistic- the chemistry one was okay too... but the biology one was deffo the hardest. Not hard hard, but I guess there wasn't much to write as they already told us the function of Insulin- so I'm hoping the only thing we had to mainly focus on was interpreting the graph...
Original post by shanonduffyy
It threw me a bit as most of what i had revised was not in there so i had to go with what i could remember, i hope it went well i know i've got a lot wrong unfortunately but its done and dusted just have to hope for the best

You have the right frame of mind! (((:
Original post by Nadia47
Someone's table collapsed in our exam hall, it was sooooooo funny! :biggrin:

LOL - Do you go to Mill Hill County High School? :biggrin::cool::colondollar::colone::s-smilie::mad::tongue:
Original post by thelostrebel
I may be completely wrong, but as the question was for temperature change, when you substitute the equations in, the answer should be 30, right? I mean, the initial temperature (20 degrees) shouldn't really matter at all.
I wrote 30 degrees first,then crossed it outand put 10,and then changed it to 30... so idk but yeah.

That is correct - 30 degrees celcius.
What about the electromagnetic waves questions in the physics section?

For the first one, which said describe the arrows, I did increasing wavelength,and the second one, I did increasing energy. What about you guys?
For the next question I got 300,000,000 and for part b, I wrote something along the lines of "they all travel at 300,000,000- 'the speed of light'"
Not sure if this makes sense lol

Thats is exactly what i got. Except instead of wrint 300,000,000
I just wrote: 3x10^8
Reply 29
Original post by RahulDravid
LOL - Do you go to Mill Hill County High School? :biggrin::cool::colondollar::colone::s-smilie::mad::tongue:

Haha nope
Did a table collapse there too?
Reply 30
it was very hard grade boundaries will be low
Original post by RahulDravid
Thats is exactly what i got. Except instead of wrint 300,000,000
I just wrote: 3x10^8

Yay!

I wouldn't written that too... but a series of disastrous events led upto my calculator not working during the exam.
Talk about malfunction haha
So my Science teacher dismissed the test as "super easy" and said the series 2 will thus be even harder.
Not sure whether I should be happy or nervous now haha
hello every one i know im a bit late but its because im new to student room and made an account after i seen this post can any one tell me some questions that came in this exam i have forgotten about the questions we had i can remember the one that said estimate the temperature of a certain hydrocarbon i thing it was propene or something any help appreciated..
thanks in advance
Reply 34
Please could someone tell me because I'm confused?

I got a C for my chemistry coursework and the score I got was 31/47 does that mean I can't get an A or an A* overall even if I did my unit 1 and 2 test really good?
:colondollar:
Original post by Mathuza

I got a C for my chemistry coursework and the score I got was 31/47 does that mean I can't get an A or an A* overall even if I did my unit 1 and 2 test really good?

I'm not one hundred percent sure,
but my science teacher said that it is really hard to get an A or and A* without getting and A or and A* in control assessments, because they make up around 25% of the final grade or something, and the A boundary is usually around 80%. Of course, this is not unachievable, but rather, basically super hard, but possible. So in theory, yes, if you get a really high grades in the rest of the coursework and all the exams, you may still get an A or and A*.
Hope this helps (:
Original post by Mathuza

Hi I got 33 for chemistry coursework which was a B. I too want an A. My teacher was telling my class that if we get at least b's on both exams you are guraunteed an A-A*. Also he said the grade boundaries will be low as the test was pretty difficult.Personally I think I did quite well and we went through the paper the next day as my teacher had a spare copy and he said to me that you probably got at least a B when I was counting my marks - so I guessed all that revision paid off. However the one on 6th june omg help me I don't know anything not even lying did a mock 2 weeksago got a D and really want a B.
Hi I got 33 for chemistry coursework which was a B. I too want an A. My teacher was telling my class that if we get at least b's on both exams you are guraunteed an A-A*. Also he said the grade boundaries will be low as the test was pretty difficult.Personally I think I did quite well and we went through the paper the next day as my teacher had a spare copy and he said to me that you probably got at least a B when I was counting my marks - so I guessed all that revision paid off. However the one on 6th june omg help me I don't know anything not even lying did a mock 2 weeksago got a D and really want a B.

omgggg just did the 6th june exam now ommg did sooo bad
omgggg just did the 6th june exam now ommg did sooo bad

I feel the same way!
That exam was SO HARD! Compared to this, series one was a breeze!
I feel the same way!
That exam was SO HARD! Compared to this, series one was a breeze!

It was really hard,results day is 21st of august and im crapping myself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending