Marvel films ~ Watch

lucy_whiting
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What's your favourite? Favourite character.? And anyone seen the winter soldier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Avengers is my favourite Marvel movie and I think Iron Man or Spider Man (Tobey Maguire version. Just can't seem to take to the newer Spidey movies) is my favourite character. Nope I've not seen Winter soldier or the first Captain America movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spiderman. I've only ever rewatched Spiderman (and X-Men) films. Spiderman just seems a more interesting character, i.e. web swinging and the web attacks along with martial arts and spidey-sense.

Then there's how his battles compare with his secret life.

I don't find the Marvel universe films, i.e. not X Men or Spiderman, interesting. Captain America is bland. The film was awful. Ironman isn't a bad secondary Marvel hero but the rest suck and they do seem to pull abilities out of their arses in the plot and a lot of their powers are pretty boring and uncreative. I'd say the closest to creative is the Hulk smashing the ground to create a crevice to trap someone's leg in.

Spiderman does all sorts of things with his web, such as creating platforms, to spring himself forwards, to attached to buildings while he stands at the front of an out of control train to stop it, to swing, to tying people up and to grab pieces of a falling clock face to launch back at Doctor Octopus.

With Spiderman you feel the rules are in place. You know that everything he does with his web is plausible, his strength allows him to fight better and he is an awful lot more resilient to damage than a normal person.

A lot of the other characters are either overpowered and rely on loosing their powers to be beaten or they're just nonsense such as Ironman pulling a random weapon from no-where or Thor shooting lightning when he wants to. There's also that with Spiderman you can shoot a variety of scenes, such as having actors there on set doing hand to hand combat and then have a CG fight where he does something impossible. This blend makes it a more believable character.

I feel that the Marvel universe films are merely made to sell tickets and roll out a series of linking films rather than making something entertaining that lasts. It's tedious to think everything has to be a trilogy, imagine every superhero with their own trilogy and then linking them together. It's like it never ends and exists to sell itself.

They also sequel bait the **** out of their Marvel universe, whereas Spiderman actually finishes the story, yes it leaves it open to new possibilities such as Harry Osbourne either thinking Spiderman killed his dad or learning Peter is Spiderman for sequel plot ideas, but the story ends in each film.

The post credits scene is a terrible cancer on filmmaking. Marvel isn't as bad as Resident Evil or Underworld series of films for simply not ending the story but they tend to be always made with the intention of a sequel rather than telling a good story. Films like Captain America exist solely to give Avengers Assemble context.

Then there's the music. Spiderman, the original, has my second favourite superhero theme after Superman. Several other characters have iconic themes, such as the Green Goblin.

Spiderman also has a huge set of awesome villains, some of the most iconic in comic books other than the Joker. He is similar to Batman in that he has a large portion of iconic villains.

There's also the problem with these ensemble films where they want them all together. I feel that one superhero is enough for each 'universe'. Yes, it's fine in Ironman 2 to have War Machine, but he clearly works in the context of Ironman's universe. When you go from having the Avengers Assemble to then Ironman not getting help from them in Ironman 3 it feels really stupid. They wanted to put them together, which is fine because all the X-Men are together, but then they taken them apart again, which makes no sense. It's rather like taking apart all the X-Men.

I also actually want to be Spiderman. I'd find his abilities a lot of fun.

Does Spiderman have problems? Yes, people complain about the casting of Toby Mcguire and Kirsten Dunst, the wooden acting, some of the dialogue and that Peter has a personal connection to all the villains. I think Amazing Spiderman 2 did an interesting take on this regarding Electro. But I think for me, the nature of Spiderman's abilities makes him more appealing than other superheroes.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh goodness this is a really hard choice to make...

Favourite film:
I think it's possibly Thor 2 but then also Amazing Spiderman 1, and the Avengers in general, oh and Captain America 2 for Black Widow alone! Gahhhh don't make me make this decision!

Favourite character:
Right I can't narrow this down any better than I can the films!!
Spiderman = I love him for all the reasons Snagprophet mentioned, he is just amazingly wonderful and brilliant and funny and very relatable to. Plus he seems to really have that normal human kind of part to him which is fantastic. And I love the relationship with him and Gwen.
Thor = There's something very endearing about his lack of knowledge of human customs and his intense desire to protect people and save Loki etc. and plus Chris Hemsworth...yum!!
Loki = Who doesn't love a bad guy?! Like if you honestly can say that Loki's wit yet also devastatingly vulnerable, emotional side doesn't make you weak at the knees then you are lying! Then add to that his wicked smile and his constant attempts for power and I swoon.
Captain America = It's the way that he wants to do what is right and is honestly so self sacrificial that you really support him and want to help things out.
Black Widow = There needs to be more female badasses! I neeeeeeed her to have her own film! Like it's necessary!! VERY necessary! MUST HAPPEN!!!
Iron Man = Just a interesting character and good fun to watch. Needs a bit more fleshing out I think, although was becoming more multidimensional in last film.
muf_mur
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My favourite film is Captain America:The Winter Soldier followed by The Avengers.
Favourite character: Iron Man
cmjames
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
THOR! The God of Thunder!!!! Absolute favourite character. But my favourite movie is The Avengers. It beats all others and can't wait for the next one!
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Spiderman. I've only ever rewatched Spiderman (and X-Men) films. Spiderman just seems a more interesting character, i.e. web swinging and the web attacks along with martial arts and spidey-sense.

Then there's how his battles compare with his secret life.

I don't find the Marvel universe films, i.e. not X Men or Spiderman, interesting. Captain America is bland. The film was awful. Ironman isn't a bad secondary Marvel hero but the rest suck and they do seem to pull abilities out of their arses in the plot and a lot of their powers are pretty boring and uncreative. I'd say the closest to creative is the Hulk smashing the ground to create a crevice to trap someone's leg in.

Spiderman does all sorts of things with his web, such as creating platforms, to spring himself forwards, to attached to buildings while he stands at the front of an out of control train to stop it, to swing, to tying people up and to grab pieces of a falling clock face to launch back at Doctor Octopus.

With Spiderman you feel the rules are in place. You know that everything he does with his web is plausible, his strength allows him to fight better and he is an awful lot more resilient to damage than a normal person.

A lot of the other characters are either overpowered and rely on loosing their powers to be beaten or they're just nonsense such as Ironman pulling a random weapon from no-where or Thor shooting lightning when he wants to. There's also that with Spiderman you can shoot a variety of scenes, such as having actors there on set doing hand to hand combat and then have a CG fight where he does something impossible. This blend makes it a more believable character.

I feel that the Marvel universe films are merely made to sell tickets and roll out a series of linking films rather than making something entertaining that lasts. It's tedious to think everything has to be a trilogy, imagine every superhero with their own trilogy and then linking them together. It's like it never ends and exists to sell itself.

They also sequel bait the **** out of their Marvel universe, whereas Spiderman actually finishes the story, yes it leaves it open to new possibilities such as Harry Osbourne either thinking Spiderman killed his dad or learning Peter is Spiderman for sequel plot ideas, but the story ends in each film.

The post credits scene is a terrible cancer on filmmaking. Marvel isn't as bad as Resident Evil or Underworld series of films for simply not ending the story but they tend to be always made with the intention of a sequel rather than telling a good story. Films like Captain America exist solely to give Avengers Assemble context.

Then there's the music. Spiderman, the original, has my second favourite superhero theme after Superman. Several other characters have iconic themes, such as the Green Goblin.

Spiderman also has a huge set of awesome villains, some of the most iconic in comic books other than the Joker. He is similar to Batman in that he has a large portion of iconic villains.

There's also the problem with these ensemble films where they want them all together. I feel that one superhero is enough for each 'universe'. Yes, it's fine in Ironman 2 to have War Machine, but he clearly works in the context of Ironman's universe. When you go from having the Avengers Assemble to then Ironman not getting help from them in Ironman 3 it feels really stupid. They wanted to put them together, which is fine because all the X-Men are together, but then they taken them apart again, which makes no sense. It's rather like taking apart all the X-Men.

I also actually want to be Spiderman. I'd find his abilities a lot of fun.

Does Spiderman have problems? Yes, people complain about the casting of Toby Mcguire and Kirsten Dunst, the wooden acting, some of the dialogue and that Peter has a personal connection to all the villains. I think Amazing Spiderman 2 did an interesting take on this regarding Electro. But I think for me, the nature of Spiderman's abilities makes him more appealing than other superheroes.
I can't agree with that at all - the character is interesting, but was really poorly done in the McGuire trilogy, and as for the Amazing Spiderman 2, he was ok, but Electro was pathetic. He's a villain that seemed like bambi on ice, a scared child - not a villain. I felt sorry for him more than anything else.

As for the Marvel Universe - it doesn't sequel bait (beyond the post-credit scenes, which I like as little teaser trailers), just calls back on other films, no different to what I've seen of spiderman - and I'd certainly say the individual heroes films are capable of standing alone - Thor 1 & 2 hardly touch on the avengers, The First Avenger does focus heavily on context for the avengers (introduction of the plot device and freezing him and it to get them into the 21stC), but the second not much - likewise a few mentions of the initiative aside, it doesn't appear much in Iron Man.

Even then, that's a measure of the source material - the films can't be blamed for the material they're drawing from - it's like complaining there's too much bloodshed in GoT: that's the basis of the source material, for a good interpretation it requires honesty to the material - it's good and bad bits. For instance the complaints of Thor summoning Thunder and Lightning - it's a comic book based on the Norse religion, of which Thor is the god of Thunder (and lightning) - that power makes more sense than spidermans (given the films work off the artificial web-shooters, his powers amount to being a good climber, and sometimes successfully seeing into the future the slightest bit - which doesn't relate to spiders in the slightest).
Alleykat606
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Favourite is definitely either the first Iron Man or Avengers Assemble....or to pick a single scene I'd say the final battle of Iron Man 3 - all those suits made me giggle like an 8 year old with excitement. Never liked the X-Men films tbh - don't know why! Plus some of the so-called 'powers' you see in Xavier's school are just ridiculous - I mean there's one kid who's only ability is to turn on the television...I mean, seriously? I know it's all for a bit of fun and novelty, but come on Brett Ratner, let's put a little thought into the minor characters. I enjoyed the first and second of the original Spider-Man trilogy, but the third one ruined it for me! Haven't seen The Amazing Spider-Man 1 or 2 yet, but Andrew Garfield seems like a good casting choice

I've always loved Tony Stark, mostly because of Robert Downey Jr.'s excellent portrayal of him. Thanks to Marvel's fine casting choices, though, I can't pick a favourite character! Tom Hiddlestone, Mark Ruffalo, Nick Fury, Scarlett Johansson all nail their roles! Special mention to Loki, of course, because you can't not love his cheek and shrewdness

I've seen Winter Soldier, and even though it's a lot better than the first film, it still feels like a 'filler' for the second Avengers film. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were both great films IMO because they worked as stand-alone films (despite all the easter-egg-type references to previous installments).
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I liked the first Iron Man and the first two X-Men, other than that I've found them all to be a bit of a let down.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by just a dad)
I liked the first Iron Man and the first two X-Men, other than that I've found them all to be a bit of a let down.
Because of the characters or other things?
fizzers
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love Thor 2, but then the Avengers as well! Ugh I can't choose!
Favourite characters (you can't make me cut it down to 1 character. That's not okay):
Thor, Loki (Tom Hiddles and that acting tho), Black Widow (can we talk about dem badass moves?), Bucky (Sebastian Stan. Hnnnng), Cap America, basically every character ever (and Deadpool in the comics) :bl:
The_Dragonborn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Favourite movie(s): Thor is probably my favourite, X-Men: First Class and Days of Future Past were also very good. I also rather enjoyed Spider-Man 3.

Favourite character: Loki is my definite favourite. I also like Quicksilver, Magneto, Sabretooth (Liev Schreiber one), and Peter Parker purely for the scene below:

silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I "like" a few of the movies, but to be honest they are so unoriginal and fairly forgettable in nature. They are like the commodities of movie making. You know what you're getting -- glossy special effects, loud explosions, action, suits and superpowers and general family friendliness-- and that's it. There's just no substance to these movies.

Although I'm not a huuge fan of comic book movies, the TDK series and Man of Steel have Marvel beat imo. They are just edgier and darker.

The best superhero movie isn't made by Marvel at all. It's Kickass. My opinion of course but it was immensely more enjoyable than anything Marvel ever made.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Because of the characters or other things?
It's like silent ninja says. They became unoriginal and formulaic, glossy tick box movies with nothing inside and overlong, predictable smash-athon climaxes. The Avengers pretty much did it for me, never has there been so much hype for so little story. Torching the hundreds of millions that it cost would have been more fun.

They lost what made the first X-Men and Iron Man movies interesting, and replaced it with popcorn nonsense.

The Dark Knight trilogy was absolutely light years ahead of Marvel's offerings. IMO of course.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by just a dad)
It's like silent ninja says. They became unoriginal and formulaic, glossy tick box movies with nothing inside and overlong, predictable smash-athon climaxes. The Avengers pretty much did it for me, never has there been so much hype for so little story. Torching the hundreds of millions that it cost would have been more fun.

They lost what made the first X-Men and Iron Man movies interesting, and replaced it with popcorn nonsense.

The Dark Knight trilogy was absolutely light years ahead of Marvel's offerings. IMO of course.
Yeah that's definitely fair enough, and I do agree the Avengers was rather overhyped.
muf_mur
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
let's see where marvel is after DC release batman v superman,justice league and nine more movies they have planned
kastiel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fav Film: Thor: The Dark World
Fav Char: Captain America because of his undeniable good heart and innocence to the modern world :3

Still haven't gotten around to watching The Winter Soldier, but Bucky man. He is adorable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.63%
Pop (231)
24.81%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.69%