AQA english lit (modern texts) PLEASE HELP!

Watch
georgie266
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For the Of mice and Men questions in the paper, we've been told by my teacher to merge parts a and b together into one longer essay, for example if part a was 'how does Steinbeck present Crooks in the passage' and part b was 'in the novel how does Steinbeck use Crooks to show attitudes towards black people in 1930 America, she told us to analyse a part from the passage and then link that to racism in 1930 America in the same paragraph. and then to include other points from the rest of the book that aren't in the passage. She said that she has checked the mark schemes and examiners have said that this is the more intelligent way of answering the question, however other teachers have said that this method will lose me lots of marks... I'm so confused and my exam is tomorrow! :confused: Have any of you been given similar advice, or if not any advice on how to answer the two parts separately? Please help me because i'm really panicking
lucyp08
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We were told to answer the two separately x
legoody
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been told a similar thing. I do know that they mark both parts a and b together so I think you can deal with the questions in the essay style, I think.
CarolineAspland
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We were told to answer them separately and all of the A* example answers I read were separate too!
ColeNate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that we're meant to be answering them separately. I'd personally prefer to merge them both, but I won't for two reasons:

- The examiner will find it difficult to identify where each question is being answered.

- The question goes like this - Answer a) Question 1 (Candy) and then ​b) Question 2 (attitudes to disabled)
georgie266
Rep:
?
Yeah, i just find during part a that i want to make a connection to the social/history side of things in part b and by doing them separately i'm just going to be repeating myself. Plus that only leaves like 20 minutes for each part which is nothing... I don't know. I really would prefer to do them as one but i'm worried that the examiner won't like it if i do... However i feel my writing might be worse if i have to try and rush it in 20 minutes... Oh i don't know this is so confusing
ColeNate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by georgie266)
Yeah, i just find during part a that i want to make a connection to the social/history side of things in part b and by doing them separately i'm just going to be repeating myself. Plus that only leaves like 20 minutes for each part which is nothing... I don't know. I really would prefer to do them as one but i'm worried that the examiner won't like it if i do... However i feel my writing might be worse if i have to try and rush it in 20 minutes... Oh i don't know this is so confusing
Absolutely - I would love to be able to merge them both to save time and to extend my previous points. If you're receiving lots of different views on this, then play it safe to be honest.
georgie266
Rep:
?
What would be a part a answer then? I'm having trouble distinguishing the two
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads