The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

If blacks can say the n word, why can't whites?

We're all equal citizens, are we not?

Scroll to see replies

We can say cracker, which I find is a much more satisfying word to say.
because it can be used as a derogatory term. to put down the other race.
Nothing's stopping you.
Discrimination: treating someone unfairly because they are different
Racism, Sexism etc... different forms of discrimination
BLACK ON BLACK, is ok, because they are the same, so technically that's not racism (discrimination)
WHITE ON BLACK, is not ok, because they are not the same, however it depends on the contexts, like if you called your black friend a N.... then it would be ok, because i don't see how friendly banter and joking is seen as treating someone unfairly.

I guess we just live in a world were the the brown people in between are ignored, and the yellow people too!
I say ***** all the time.
I refer to the chocolatey friends of mine as "negro-amigo"
Original post by Shakir786
Discrimination: treating someone unfairly because they are different
Racism, Sexism etc... different forms of discrimination
BLACK ON BLACK, is ok, because they are the same, so technically that's not racism (discrimination)
WHITE ON BLACK, is not ok, because they are not the same, however it depends on the contexts, like if you called your black friend a N.... then it would be ok, because i don't see how friendly banter and joking is seen as treating someone unfairly.

I guess we just live in a world were the the brown people in between are ignored, and the yellow people too!

Racism just means believing that one or more races are superior to others. There's nothing that stops a black person from thinking that whites are superior, just because they're black.
Not all blacks approve of the use of the n word, in the same way that some do not mind white people saying it. There is no set rule on the use of the word. My recommendation would be to not use it with someone who you do not know well, but using it with your friends if they don't mind is fine.
Isn't it discriminating to not let white people use it just because of their skin colour?
My friend and I are both white and she said the word to me and was called racist, even though it was not used against me or a black person. So why is it that the word itself is seen as "racist" I don't understand that.
Original post by tengentoppa
Not all blacks approve of the use of the n word, in the same way that some do not mind white people saying it. There is no set rule on the use of the word. My recommendation would be to not use it with someone who you do not know well, but using it with your friends if they don't mind is fine.

And saying it in public to one of your friends, is that ok?
My point is whether the word is inherently offensive or whether it can be ok in context, in which case it is just as appropriate for a white to refer to his black friend by the n term, as it is for a fellow black?
"Blacks" and "whites"

Wow, we're all just races aren't we? Nah not humans, races
Original post by Skip_Snip
I refer to the chocolatey friends of mine as "negro-amigo"

:rofl: This is actually pretty cool.
lol, discrimination is a natural process that happens everywhere, why is racism treated more seriously than sexism? is that not discrimination to sexism? #whatislife
Original post by DouglasAdams
And saying it in public to one of your friends, is that ok?
My point is whether the word is inherently offensive or whether it can be ok in context, in which case it is just as appropriate for a white to refer to his black friend by the n term, as it is for a fellow black?

I don't think the term is inherently offensive. It can be OK in the context that your friends understand you do not mean it as a racial slur. However, some blacks may be offended by white people saying it. Again, it all comes down to the attitude of the other person, we should avoid being unnecessarily tactless.

As for using it in public, if someone not involved in your conversation hears it and has their frail sensibilities offended, that's their problem.
Reply 15
Don't you know the context behind that word?
Reply 16
Frankly the way people act regarding both words is ludicrous.

The word ending in -er-, well we're meant to pretend it never existed, to the extent that a man that plays a song on the radio that includes the word is fired. It's a petulant, childish mindset.

And the word ending in -a-, well the fact that I'm 'not allowed' to say this word is a paradox, it's a part of black culture, to deny it's existence is indicative of white middle class superiority - "tell the black folk that they shouldn't say that word!".

Words are just sounds, it's the context that matters.
Because whites, for the most part, treated blacks so terribley, up till not all that long ago. It's the word all whites used to refer to black around the time of the Civil Rights Act in 1694.

So, I guess white people still have some making up to do.
Original post by DouglasAdams
We're all equal citizens, are we not?

Because it has been used in the past (and still sometimes is) as a derogatory and demeaning word. And the 'past' is still quite raw. There is a fine line between equality and segregation.
Why would you even want to say it? Sounds like pointless whinging.

Latest

Trending

Trending