The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 6 mark question guesses

Any guesses for the 6 mark question? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I reckon it'll be either the fluorescent tube or proving the existence of atomic energy levels by line spectra. Any takers?
Most recent 3 was particle zoo, circuit experiment, oscilloscope,

so yes probably some chapter 3 topic might come up.
My bet would be on photoelectrons
Reply 3
Last one was on classifying particles. all I can think it could be is:
Evidence for wave/particle nature of light
Setting up an electricity experiment
Using oscilloscope to test something
Photoelectric effect explanation and how it is evidence for light travelling as photons
Spectra as said above

Can't think of anything else right now, but it seems like particle physics or the photoelectric effect will probably have the 6 mark question.
Reply 4
Original post by __Adam__
Photoelectric effect explanation and how it is evidence for light travelling as photons
Spectra as said above

Can't think of anything else right now, but it seems like particle physics or the photoelectric effect will probably have the 6 mark question.

What would you write for the evidence for wave/particle nature of light?
I reckon it would be something on experiment planning, but I also think it could be on the photoelectric effect; I guess you could do an experiment on that, but is it really on spec?
Reply 6
Original post by jf1994
What would you write for the evidence for wave/particle nature of light?

Diffraction of light and photoelectric effect, probably how they each support one theory but not the other, why light as a wave cant explain photoelectric effect, but light as a particle cant explain diffraction. Also what each theory (wrongly) predicts what would happen, ie if light was a wave, photoelectrons should be emitted for any light frequency, but they aren't.

I'm just guessing stuff that they could potentially ask, I don't think that's what they're likely to ask though.
Reply 7
Spectra as said above

Well... I was mostly wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me too. It sucks, I am not certain how many marks I have lost, but that paper had me working constantly, from start to finish, had no time to rectify anything. It's definitely harder than last years. I had 90+ on all mocks, but this time was definitely not 90+. What did you think?

Well... I was mostly wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Tryingtosucceed
Me too. It sucks, I am not certain how many marks I have lost, but that paper had me working constantly, from start to finish, had no time to rectify anything. It's definitely harder than last years. I had 90+ on all mocks, but this time was definitely not 90+. What did you think?

I thought the exam was OK, but I'm resitting so I've learnt the stuff twice (got 74 UMS last year in unit 1 when I usually hit the A/B boundary in mocks). I didn't like the big focus on electricity as it seemed to take up half the paper, and electricity is my weakest part in unit 1, EMF being my worst part.

I got pretty much all marks on the maths questions in my practice tests, but I'm not sure if I got the question on EMF and internal resistance right at the end, I wish some of the maths questions on EMF were on parallel circuits instead.
Think we had almost the same experience. I think the first part of elec was ok, but you are right, far too much of it for my liking! You know for the 6 mark question, I was really running low on time so I think I botched up. I wrote that I would place resistor in water bath? With thermometer, and take 5 degree increment readings, whilst adding ice to the water. Then plot a graph of voltage against temperature? Is this totally wrong? If it is, am I able to salvage any marks at all?

I thought the exam was OK, but I'm resitting so I've learnt the stuff twice (got 74 UMS last year in unit 1 when I usually hit the A/B boundary in mocks). I didn't like the big focus on electricity as it seemed to take up half the paper, and electricity is my weakest part in unit 1, EMF being my worst part.

I got pretty much all marks on the maths questions in my practice tests, but I'm not sure if I got the question on EMF and internal resistance right at the end, I wish some of the maths questions on EMF were on parallel circuits instead.
PS: What would a 74 UMS work out to be as a % on the actual test paper?

PS: What would a 74 UMS work out to be as a % on the actual test paper?

I got 66% (46/70) last year, AQA have a raw to UMS converter on their site at:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
Think we had almost the same experience. I think the first part of elec was ok, but you are right, far too much of it for my liking! You know for the 6 mark question, I was really running low on time so I think I botched up. I wrote that I would place resistor in water bath? With thermometer, and take 5 degree increment readings, whilst adding ice to the water. Then plot a graph of voltage against temperature? Is this totally wrong? If it is, am I able to salvage any marks at all?

I think I said:

- Put thermistor in cold water bath, heat with bunsen burner. Putting electrical stuff in a water bath seems weird to me, but there was a similar exam Q earlier and it said water bath in the mark scheme.
- Take readings of voltage every 10 degrees heated
- Repeat a couple of times, take average voltage
- Plot V/T graph, if you know the voltage across a thermistor in a room, you can use the graph to find the temperature.
- You need R in the circuit to make it a potential divider circuit otherwise the thermistor will always get the max voltage.

Can't remember anything else, but that's generally what I wrote.
Same here, regarding water bath!! Feel really weird about it but I wrote it anyway. I missed out writing to repeat experiment. And I started with my water hot and added ice. I think you have nailed that question, if I missed a couple things, can I still get marks on it?

I think I said:

- Put thermistor in cold water bath, heat with bunsen burner. Putting electrical stuff in a water bath seems weird to me, but there was a similar exam Q earlier and it said water bath in the mark scheme.
- Take readings of voltage every 10 degrees heated
- Repeat a couple of times, take average voltage
- Plot V/T graph, if you know the voltage across a thermistor in a room, you can use the graph to find the temperature.
- You need R in the circuit to make it a potential divider circuit otherwise the thermistor will always get the max voltage.

Can't remember anything else, but that's generally what I wrote.
Same here, regarding water bath!! Feel really weird about it but I wrote it anyway. I missed out writing to repeat experiment. And I started with my water hot and added ice. I think you have nailed that question, if I missed a couple things, can I still get marks on it?

Since you said to take measurements every 5 degrees, that would probably stop you needing to repeat as you have so many measurements anyway (assuming that's one of the points on the mark scheme). I'm not that sure on how 6 mark questions are marked though. I know they have a list of about 8/9 points you could mention and depending on how many of those you hit, you get put into a mark band ( 1/2, 3/4 or 5/6). If you written communication is good, you'll get an extra mark to put you in the top end of the band. That's vaguely how they're marked. I think if you only missed a couple of things, you can still get in the 3/4 mark band. 6 mark questions are awkward to predict though, so don't take my word on it.

The problem with guessing how many marks you get is that your answer is marked as a whole, rather than how many points you hit like every other question is, in the mark scheme it always says "The answer must be assessed holistically", so it's hard to judge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
how did you find the particle physics questions?
Original post by eve210
how did you find the particle physics questions?

I liked them much more than the electricity ones, but I prefer photoelectric questions. It's pretty helpful that pretty much all formulae for the maths based questions are given.
-Set circuit as shown
-Independent is temperature, dependent is current
-Control thermistor temperature with a hot water bath
-Cool it down with ice (remember reading this off an older paper's mark scheme)
-R is needed to increase resistance of circuit so reduce amount of current flowing through the circuit
-Large amount of current produces a heating effect which can affect temperature of the thermistor
-Also could be a hazard, especially if thermistor's resistance drops very low
-Plot V against T
-Temp of room can be measured by leaving the circuit out, taking the reading off the voltmeter and reading it off the graph (line of best fit)

What I wrote for the 6 marker.
Reply 19
For the 6 mark question I put:
- volt meter for pd
- thermometer for temperature
- thermistor is a water bath
- measured by a digital thermometer
- stirred to regulate the temperature
- readings every 10 degrees
- repeated to find anomalies
- plotted on a graph of temperature against pd
- thermistor placed in room
- volt meter reading taken
- using the graph to find the corresponding temperature value

But I know that I have gotten why the other resistor was in there wrong. I said that it was to create a potential divider so a short circuit would not occur when the resistance in the thermistor lowered...
Does anybody know how much I'll get penalised for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest