English literature: Understanding Prose - Help please. Watch

Hertz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Tomorrow is the exam. And Im confused on how to do it. There are 4 questions on Section A and on Section B.

How much time do I spend on each question? Im worried Ill run out of time on the individual 4 questions, and have no idea on time meant to spent on them, or how many paragraphs I should write. Please help its tomorrow!
jjess1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go on the Edexcel website and take a browse through the exam papers - I would try to split my exam into 45 minutes for Section A and 45 minutes for Section B, and do the section with the text you're most confident in first, so you finish it quickly and can move onto the second section which you may know less about with more time.

For Section A, try to write concisely and effectively as you don't have much time - as you only have around 40 minutes, and 4 questions try taking around 10 minutes per question, with the lower mark questions taking possibly around 7-8 minutes, leaving you with extra time for the 12 marker, where you're expected to look in different sections of the book to answer the question.

The essay you have to write in Section B is for me, easier to manage time - just write a plan to set out your points, and write organically - don't keep making up ideas as you go along, as you will be flicking back and forth through the book which will waste loads of time.

Good luck for tomorrow.
Hertz
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjess1234)
Go on the Edexcel website and take a browse through the exam papers - I would try to split my exam into 45 minutes for Section A and 45 minutes for Section B, and do the section with the text you're most confident in first, so you finish it quickly and can move onto the second section which you may know less about with more time.

For Section A, try to write concisely and effectively as you don't have much time - as you only have around 40 minutes, and 4 questions try taking around 10 minutes per question, with the lower mark questions taking possibly around 7-8 minutes, leaving you with extra time for the 12 marker, where you're expected to look in different sections of the book to answer the question.

The essay you have to write in Section B is for me, easier to manage time - just write a plan to set out your points, and write organically - don't keep making up ideas as you go along, as you will be flicking back and forth through the book which will waste loads of time.

Good luck for tomorrow.
Oh man your a star I'll definitely follow those guidelines. By the way, how many paragraphs do you recommend per question ( 8/10/12 markers)
jjess1234
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not exactly hugely confident on tomorrow either...

For the 8/10 markers I would probably go about point - evidence- and a very brief explanation. I think examiners would prefer you to make lots of points with explanation, rather than a couple points with huge detailed super explanation.

For the 12 markers, I would probably do the same format, but obviously as it's a 12 marker, delve into more detail in your points. Remember if you have no idea what to look for (in terms of another section of the book), just think about all the different parts of the story and how it relates to the theme they want you talk about.
Hertz
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjess1234)
I'm not exactly hugely confident on tomorrow either...

For the 8/10 markers I would probably go about point - evidence- and a very brief explanation. I think examiners would prefer you to make lots of points with explanation, rather than a couple points with huge detailed super explanation.

For the 12 markers, I would probably do the same format, but obviously as it's a 12 marker, delve into more detail in your points. Remember if you have no idea what to look for (in terms of another section of the book), just think about all the different parts of the story and how it relates to the theme they want you talk about.
Right. Yeah that sounds right. How many paragraphs per question?
Loyale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hertz)
Tomorrow is the exam. And Im confused on how to do it. There are 4 questions on Section A and on Section B.

How much time do I spend on each question? Im worried Ill run out of time on the individual 4 questions, and have no idea on time meant to spent on them, or how many paragraphs I should write. Please help its tomorrow!
A-10mins-8marks (5+ points for B5) Usually a character qstion (AQE-Adjective Quote Feature)
B-12mins-10marks(5+ points for B5) QFE-Quote, feature effect (Language qstion)
C-12mins-10marks(6+ points for B5) QTED- Quote ,Theme, effect in DETAIL
D-14mins-12marks QTEFD
Lasershark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you had bothered to ask your teacher these questions weeks before the exam, you would know. Good luck...
Hertz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loyale)
A-10mins-8marks (5+ points for B5) Usually a character qstion (AQE-Adjective Quote Feature)
B-12mins-10marks(5+ points for B5) QFE-Quote, feature effect (Language qstion)
C-12mins-10marks(6+ points for B5) QTED- Quote ,Theme, effect in DETAIL
D-14mins-12marks QTEFD
Thanks for clearing it up. Ill probably do intro 5 paragraphs and conclusion for 5 points, and 6 paras for 6 points...right?
LonelyPlanet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hertz)

You doing Cambridge's CIE Literature in English exam or are you with other exam boards such as AQA/Edexcel?
jakebugg02x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the same boat as you.
Instead of PEE, use
Point
Evidence
Explain
Context
Audience
It'll gain you much more marks, especially the context and audience. Involve the writers background and their inspiration when writing the book. I did this and got 47/50 on my coursework. x
Hertz
Rep:
?
(Original post by LonelyPlanet)
You doing Cambridge's CIE Literature in English exam or are you with other exam boards such as AQA/Edexcel?
Edexel

(Original post by jakebugg02x)
I'm in the same boat as you.
Instead of PEE, use
Point
Evidence
Explain
Context
Audience
It'll gain you much more marks, especially the context and audience. Involve the writers background and their inspiration when writing the book. I did this and got 47/50 on my coursework. x
Ill keep in in mind, definitely using it, thanks DDDD
jakebugg02x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hertz)
Edexel

Ill keep in in mind, definitely using it, thanks DDDD
haha you're welcome! Good-luck by the way.. I'm sure it'll be fine (I'm hoping so anyway) x
good.khi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am writing edexcel gcse eng lit exam tommorrow .
Please help me what likely to come up in the exam tommorrow
i am doing pride and prejudice and to kill a mocking bird
Loyale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hertz)
Thanks for clearing it up. Ill probably do intro 5 paragraphs and conclusion for 5 points, and 6 paras for 6 points...right?
5 or more points (doesnt mean paragraphs) for the character question

5 or more points (for the language question))

6 or more points for the theme question

And for question 2, the one out of 46 marks, if youre doing omam then revise candy and slim cuz they might come (prediction) up
Hertz
Rep:
?
(Original post by good.khi)
I am writing edexcel gcse eng lit exam tommorrow .
Please help me what likely to come up in the exam tommorrow
i am doing pride and prejudice and to kill a mocking bird
Sparknotes highlight main topics. http://www.sparknotes.com/
Just search for your book name.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London