Hello, my name is prayingmedic!

Watch this thread
prayingmedic
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm studying... A levels - Maths, Bio, Chem, Geo

I'm interested in... Harry Potter!

I'm thinking about... Med School
minhle20
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by prayingmedic)
I'm studying... A levels - Maths, Bio, Chem, Geo

I'm interested in... Harry Potter!

I'm thinking about... Med School
Hey there! How are you? :tsr:

How are your exams going? I hope they are going well. How many papers have you sat already? Here's a link to our study help forum. I'm not sure how useful it'll be, but every little helps. Best of luck for the rest of your exams!

Are you thinking about applying to studying medicine this September? I'm actually going to study medicine at Leicester this September. Here's a link to our medicine forum. Hopefully you'll find it useful if you apply.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask
prayingmedic
Rep:
(Original post by minhle20)
Hey there! How are you? :tsr:

How are your exams going? I hope they are going well. How many papers have you sat already? Here's a link to our study help forum. I'm not sure how useful it'll be, but every little helps. Best of luck for the rest of your exams!

Are you thinking about applying to studying medicine this September? I'm actually going to study medicine at Leicester this September. Here's a link to our medicine forum. Hopefully you'll find it useful if you apply.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask

OMGG! Thanks! Wow Leicester! whooo! Yes i will apply this year, and just wondering, what did you have as extra curricular to get into med? What grades? and UKCAT score? And work experience?

Thanks
minhle20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
OMGG! Thanks! Wow Leicester! whooo! Yes i will apply this year, and just wondering, what did you have as extra curricular to get into med? What grades? and UKCAT score? And work experience?

Thanks
I'm a reapplicant so I'm currently on a gap year (sorta). I wrote about the following extra curricular stuff/work experience in my personal statement:
1. I was head boy at my school
2. Black belt at Ju Jitsu
3. Did a week of shadowing at my local hospital
4. Volunteered for now will be 2 years (started summer 2012) with a local charity that supports adults with learning disabilities
5. and I volunteered with the British Red Cross at my local hospital since late August 2013.

For my GCSEs I had 5A* 3A and 1B. For A-Levels I had A*AAA and my UKCAT score this year was 770, Band 2.

What are your stats? And where are you thinking about applying?
prayingmedic
Rep:
(Original post by minhle20)
I'm a reapplicant so I'm currently on a gap year (sorta). I wrote about the following extra curricular stuff/work experience in my personal statement:
1. I was head boy at my school
2. Black belt at Ju Jitsu
3. Did a week of shadowing at my local hospital
4. Volunteered for now will be 2 years (started summer 2012) with a local charity that supports adults with learning disabilities
5. and I volunteered with the British Red Cross at my local hospital since late August 2013.

For my GCSEs I had 5A* 3A and 1B. For A-Levels I had A*AAA and my UKCAT score this year was 770, Band 2.

What are your stats? And where are you thinking about applying?
770?!?!?!?!!? OMGGGG wait what do u mean Band 2? That's amazinggggg
How did u have to reapply?!?!?!? Ur a- levels are amazinggggggg!! so's ur UKCAT? (if u on't mind me asking) U have work experience, you've done voluntary work?!?!?
Ermmmm Well I know UCL and Kings, but i need to research other uni's before hand?!? Btw do u mind me asking how you revised for ur UKCAT? like what books and stuff did you use???

Well I'm in Year 12, so i've only done GCSE's so far
I got 9A*'s 1A (geo) 1B (spanish) 1C (drama)

I am a prefect, i've volunteered at this scouts group for 3 years (helping 6-10 year olds), I have had work experience in a hospital and dentist in India, I have a work experience at a GP in the UK, and have planned some in a hospital for this summer in UK, i've done army cadets, i've been part of my school netball and rounders team for 4 years, and i'm a geo and chem ambassador. But i dunno what i've done if it's valid, or enough??
And i'm really scared about the UKCAT!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!
minhle20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
770?!?!?!?!!? OMGGGG wait what do u mean Band 2? That's amazinggggg
How did u have to reapply?!?!?!? Ur a- levels are amazinggggggg!! so's ur UKCAT? (if u on't mind me asking) U have work experience, you've done voluntary work?!?!?
Ermmmm Well I know UCL and Kings, but i need to research other uni's before hand?!? Btw do u mind me asking how you revised for ur UKCAT? like what books and stuff did you use???

Well I'm in Year 12, so i've only done GCSE's so far
I got 9A*'s 1A (geo) 1B (spanish) 1C (drama)

I am a prefect, i've volunteered at this scouts group for 3 years (helping 6-10 year olds), I have had work experience in a hospital and dentist in India, I have a work experience at a GP in the UK, and have planned some in a hospital for this summer in UK, i've done army cadets, i've been part of my school netball and rounders team for 4 years, and i'm a geo and chem ambassador. But i dunno what i've done if it's valid, or enough??
And i'm really scared about the UKCAT!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!
Not getting an offer the first time you apply is unfortunately a very common occurrence for medicine applicants. I don't mean to be harsh, but there is a possibility you might not get a offer when you apply, it's the reality. Medicine is just so competitive to get into. There's actually a thread dedicated to medicine re-applicants every year on TSR.

Band 2 was the score I had in the Situational Judgement part of the UKCAT. Last year was the first time it was used. For UKCAT, it's just lots and lots of practice. There's a book that has 600 practice questions published by ISC Medical which I used and pretty much everyone uses. I also used a website called medify. It has loads of practice questions and the mocks there are really good simulations of the real deal. You only need a 2 week subscription which will cost around a £10 (I can't remember the exact cost, but it was a good investment imo). When the summer exams finish, the medicine UKCAT thread springs into life and it will have loads of info there.

You seem to have lots of experiences and all it of is valid, but the most important thing is reflecting on them and how it relates to your decision to study medicine. Everyone will have done a similar set of extra curricular activities; what sets the good applicants apart is what you learnt from it and how it's affected you and your choice of studying medicine.

Also if you're applying to UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge, Leeds or BSMS you will have to sit the BMAT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (138)
30.53%
It went fairly well (213)
47.12%
It didn't go too well (63)
13.94%
TERRIBLE! (38)
8.41%

Watched Threads