The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me improve my AQA Unit 3 answer (no need to know specifically about t

Just wondering if you people wouldn't mind suggesting improvements for my essay structurally or in any other area-If you can read my writing lol

"The rebellions in the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I were mainly religious in origin" assess the validity of this view

How could I improve do you think?
My teacher have me an A, but do you think this is accurate?
Others don't and I am panicking slightly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
your opening paragraph is a waste of ink, the examiner does not care that you think it is "an interesting topic". Also you must NOT sit on the fence in your opening paragraph it may bring the false assumption that you don't know what your talking about. You can't say things such as " some people think this and others say this" as right from the start it needs to be clear whom it is you are agreeing with and why that interpretation is right.

You have a good balanced enquiry,but discriminate more why one interpretation has more credibility than the other, with such a violent topic there can never be opposite reasons for causing the same riot(s), it needs to be more clear who you agree with.

E.g Religion played an enormous role in the rebellions because...... non religious reasons were less of an incentive to riot because....

Therefore religion governed the rioters motive the most as.....

avoid phrases such as " it has been argued, or "some people think this" etc.

this is perfect examples of sitting on the fence,your own point of view needs to be clear and why opponents of your view are wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chives90
your opening paragraph is a waste of ink, the examiner does not care that you think it is "an interesting topic". Also you must NOT sit on the fence in your opening paragraph it may bring the false assumption that you don't know what your talking about. You can't say things such as " some people think this and others say this" as right from the start it needs to be clear whom it is you are agreeing with and why that interpretation is right.

You have a good balanced enquiry,but discriminate more why one interpretation has more credibility than the other, with such a violent topic there can never be opposite reasons for causing the same riot(s), it needs to be more clear who you agree with.

E.g Religion played an enormous role in the rebellions because...... non religious reasons were less of an incentive to riot because....

Therefore religion governed the rioters motive the most as.....

avoid phrases such as " it has been argued, or "some people think this" etc.

this is perfect examples of sitting on the fence,your own point of view needs to be clear and why opponents of your view are wrong.

Dope. I get what you mean entirely about the introduction.

Do u think it is okay to say "some have suggested" for the weaker argument. Then contrast it with "however, based on this evidence it is much more likely that xxxxx caused yyyyyy". Sort of to hint to the examiner you don't agree with that one side of the argument before overtly criticising it.

Thanks for the help btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Dope. I get what you mean entirely about the introduction.

Do u think it is okay to say "some have suggested" for the weaker argument. Then contrast it with "however, based on this evidence it is much more likely that xxxxx caused yyyyyy". Sort of to hint to the examiner you don't agree with that one side of the argument before overtly criticising it.

Thanks for the help btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

what you are doing with "some have suggested" is describing, that is a GCSE skill, you don't want to be describing at A level. Instead you should say at the end " with the evidence given, we can see that
[Insert historians point of view here] has the most amount of credibility because...... accounts pay little attentions to non religious/ religious reasons and therefore......

Conclusion and introduction should be brief only about 5 lines.

Teachers may constantly bang on about non telling a story,but that is because they want you to evaluate not describe,describing is just telling how it is, which shows you actually know what went on.
Evaluation shows a greater understanding as you can discriminate reasons for why it could of happened.

Cause----->Effect, can be measured by whats changed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending