I can't get a current account!!!

Watch
Sabuntu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
Basiclly my issue is that I have some money that my parents set aside for me in a cash ISA. Now I am 18 I would like to move my money to a current account.

So, today I went to the bank to open a new account and it seems that I cannot provide sufficient identification. Because I am 18 no banks will accept birth certificates. The bigger problem is that I have no ID like a drivers lisence, passport, bank statements, bills or benefits letter etc.

The solution that the bank man told me was to get a letter fro HMR&C and put my name on the utility bill. However my parents do not want to do the latter part of the option.

The main reason I want the account is for using the money online and to hold money from any possible future income. The former being the most important. Has anybody got any advice that doesn't involve getting a
driving license or passport?

Is there another type of account that requires less identification?

PS my bank is Lloyds Bank
Hedgeman49
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sabuntu)
Hi,
Basiclly my issue is that I have some money that my parents set aside for me in a cash ISA. Now I am 18 I would like to move my money to a current account.

So, today I went to the bank to open a new account and it seems that I cannot provide sufficient identification. Because I am 18 no banks will accept birth certificates. The bigger problem is that I have no ID like a drivers lisence, passport, bank statements, bills or benefits letter etc.

The solution that the bank man told me was to get a letter fro HMR&C and put my name on the utility bill. However my parents do not want to do the latter part of the option.

The main reason I want the account is for using the money online and to hold money from any possible future income. The former being the most important. Has anybody got any advice that doesn't involve getting a
driving license or passport?

Is there another type of account that requires less identification?

PS my bank is Lloyds Bank
Why not just get a passport? This will cause you nothing but trouble going forward. Seriously it's just easier to get one.
Amelia-Babe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree. Passport will be so much easier for you in the long run.
pmc:producer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll need ID not just for a current account, but for employment among other things too. Get a passport - as mentioned above, this will only keep haunting you.
Sabuntu
Rep:
?
Ughh it is really annoying because passports cost £75. I don't even travel :/
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not having a current account will have such a negative impact on your credit rating that not having one will cost you way more than £75 in the long run
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
maybe now is your chance to start. There is so much of the world out there waiting to be seen.You need your own bank account, especially if you want to go to uni as student finance will only pay into your own bank account. And you will need ID if you ever want to buy alcohol or go clubbing.
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get a passport. It's not only used for travel puproses, but identification for all sorts of things, such as jobs, provisional license, registering with a new GP and whatnot.

Get a passport.
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
maybe now is your chance to start. There is so much of the world out there waiting to be seen. Or a provisional licence may do the trick, that is £50. Either way you need your own bank account, especially if you want to go to uni as student finance will only pay into your own bank account. And you will need ID if you ever want to buy alcohol or go clubbing.
Doesn't the provisional license require your passport to be sent off with the application form?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kagutsuchi)
Doesn't the provisional license require your passport to be sent off with the application form?
Your right, whoops will edit the post
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why don't you have a passport?
yellobitch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd recommend getting a passport as they last 10 years when you're over 16 anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
titchyyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wish I had got a passport, things could have been sorted on MANY things by now! Yet I'm stuck with a driving license that barely comes in handy for ID purposes. £75 is nothing in the long run, trust me :P
San Fran
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hadn't had a passport since 2008 when my old one expired. Like you, I had no ID or anything so I decided to renew it earlier on in the year and it arrived last week, there's some odd freedom that comes from having one...

The best part is it will now last until 2024 which is ageeees.
Sabuntu
Rep:
?
The only problem is that I need to use the money online. Is there anyway that I can use the money online temporarily while waiting for a passport? It could be a while before I can get a passport.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The only problem is that I need to use the money online. Is there anyway that I can use the money online temporarily while waiting for a passport? It could be a while before I can get a passport.
Transfer the money to a parent's bank account and use that online?

Otherwise no, because you need a bank account to be able to transfer the money into an online wallet such as Paypal (or just use your debit card online).

Passport takes roughly 6 weeks if you apply now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise