I can't tell if my vote is just going to be wasted Watch

Oats
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is going to be the first time I can vote and I honestly didn't know who to vote for seeing as I dislike the top 3 parties.

I did the test thing on this website http://vfp.me/537AA9C266961 (those are my results) for who's policies I agree on most and the result is mostly Green party with (unfortunately) some conservative policies too...

I don't think Green party is that bad but will it just be a wasted vote seeing as it's not a main party and I should just vote for the best of the three?

It says the test isn't optimised for the Euro elections but it must still be a pointer right?
WitnessMO
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does it matter if your vote is wasted. Voting is about principles. Vote for the ones that you believe in to show your support to their causes. If the Green Party got 10 000 more votes than in the last election, they know they are making progress and gain encouragement.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
your vote is wasted no matter who you vote for lol. You're 1 person out of millions. Your vote isn't going to make a difference. Just vote who you want to win.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A wasted vote is less of a thing in the EU elections. The seats are allocated based on a system of proportional representation (closed party list with the D'Hont method, it's a pretty neat system). You may as well just vote for the party you agree with the most. Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of the method if you want to know how your vote is used.
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
A wasted vote is less of a thing in the EU elections. The seats are allocated based on a system of proportional representation (closed party list with the D'Hont method, it's a pretty neat system). You may as well just vote for the party you agree with the most. Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of the method if you want to know how your vote is used.
It's a wasted vote if you vote for a party with <8%, iirc.

So much better for minority parties, but still a bit risky for the Greens or below.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 4 years ago
It's a wasted vote.

Some people have the audacity to call our voting system corrupt. That's a lie. If the majority of the electorate was informed then there would be a case for rigging the votes. As it stands, the informed voter is in the minority. The ruling parties don't have to worry because they just ship in truckloads of morons who vote the same way every time for no reason whatsoever. The people who know what they're talking about are drowned out and nothing changes.

Yes, your vote is largely wasted.
Oats
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Hormonal)
Don't vote for Green.

Bunch of idealists who would not benefit citizens by running the country.

No party is truly worth my vote, however, Labour is the least of several evils in my eyes.
Well I find Labour a pretty horrendous party in their own right too, despite agreeing with some of their policies

(Original post by (Ari))
Voting is a waste of time. The people up for election don't represent the majority, and the majority are too disinterested in politics to care about that.
I'd rather vote than not do anything
miser
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your vote isn't going to change the outcome of the election in any case, so if you're going to vote, you may as well vote for the party you actually agree with.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Oats)
This is going to be the first time I can vote and I honestly didn't know who to vote for seeing as I dislike the top 3 parties.

I did the test thing on this website http://vfp.me/537AA9C266961 (those are my results) for who's policies I agree on most and the result is mostly Green party with (unfortunately) some conservative policies too...

I don't think Green party is that bad but will it just be a wasted vote seeing as it's not a main party and I should just vote for the best of the three?

It says the test isn't optimised for the Euro elections but it must still be a pointer right?
The European elections are proportional, so there is no need for tactical voting and no such thing as a wasted vote. That is why more extreme parties such as UKIP, and even the BNP, have a chance in Europe but not in the national elections. Vote Green.
Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am voting green for the first time, I think a lot of people will be so the way I see it is that it's a vote of support for their policies. It shows whoever does get in power that more and more people want policies like that.

I don't know how you feel about UKIP, but for me personally i feel a vote for the Green Party would be in opposition to the rising number of votes for UKIP - who I detest.
Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just vote for the party you most agree with, or if no one's to your liking vote blank like me.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Oats)

EU elections are proportional representation so your vote will never be 'wasted'.

Just vote for who you like, if you dislike all 3 parties then don't vote for them! I just go for the best of a bad lot approach.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You may as well vote Greens in the Euro (depends on the constituency in the locals) because it's proportional representation and there's a reasonable chance they'll increase their number of MEP's this election.
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
The European elections are proportional, so there is no need for tactical voting and no such thing as a wasted vote. That is why more extreme parties such as UKIP, and even the BNP, have a chance in Europe but not in the national elections. Vote Green.
That's a bit of a myth. Tactical voting is as much a part of a PR system as it is the FPTP system used in Westminster elections.

Who do you vote for in a PR system like the European elections? If FPTP you might tactically vote for the part with the best chance of winning the overall seat ahead of a party you don't like.

In PR systems you might tactically vote for the party most likely to win an extra seat ahead of a party you don't like.

I've seen a massive post on Facebook recently about someone discussing who to vote for from about three different parties, based on who might have the best chance of winning an extra seat to stop UKIP getting an additional seat.

Tactical voting is very much alive in PR voting system

I personally don't agree with the idea of wasted votes in any electoral system as even if they won't directly affect the outcome, they can affect opinions and analysis. However, similar to the above, there can be arguments made for wasted votes in PR systems too. Eg if you're party gets no seats, or if you only just miss out on enough votes for an additional seat. I think in the last election there was an example of one party getting 2 seats on something like 20% of the vote, but another getting just one seat on 18%. In this case, you can argue not all votes are worth same or that some are wasted.

PR systems like the D'Hont system are decent and a valid form of electoral system, but not the saviour of electoral systems that is popularly portrayed.
username1066741
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Realistically whatever party you vote for there will be some policies that you don't agree with, you just need to go for the party who's policies represent the majority of your beliefs.

The test you took is the same one I've taken, and I'm not too sure on its validity for these elections - the majority of the policies mentioned have nothing to do with our representative in the EU. However I would say it is a good rough guideline over the party who's core ethical standpoint you believe in.

As for the Green Party being a wasted vote, if no one ever voted for minority parties, then no real change would ever occur. UKIP (as much as I disagree with them) used to be a fringe party, but now due to an increase in votes are causing a relatively large upheaval in British politics. People moan about the big two (Conservative and Labour) and how the voters are "uneducated" because they vote for them, but then either don't vote or vote with the "unedjucated majority" anyway.

If you believe in what the Green Party have to say, then vote for them, after all the core of voting is stating your opinion, not changing your opinion because not many people say they agree with you.
ThatDisneyObsess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Oats)

I know loads of people in our generation who are thinking of voting Green, and a lot of them think it might be a waste of a vote too! Surely if we all end up voting for them it will start to mean something?
roshni_khanna
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Oats)

VOTE. THE MORE PEOPLE THAT DON'T VOTE, THE MORE LIKELY UKIP IS TO GET INTO POWER.
And for your vote to make a difference to UKIP, you'll have to vote for torries or Labour tbh. But i think that's better than letting UKIP get in lol. I'm only 17 so I can't vote
keturah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThatDisneyObsess)
I know loads of people in our generation who are thinking of voting Green, and a lot of them think it might be a waste of a vote too! Surely if we all end up voting for them it will start to mean something?
That's what I was thinking
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Oats)

The green party has always been very strong in the European election. If everybody did what you are suggesting here, the entire voting system would be pointless - it needs to represent the consensus of the country, which means every person must vote for the party they have the strongest confidence in. Remember, it's not just one party that goes through, but more the representation from each party in the number of seats they have, so it's not an all-or-nothing process - the more votes a party has, the more seats they will have.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the EU elections I would personally vote for the group that you agree with most. While there is a chance that they might not get a seat it does show to bigger parties that people are increasingly caring about for example environmental policies and may in the long run lead to a general change in the policies of some of the bigger parties (ideally anyway). The votes that the different parties get will be analysed after. Depending on the area of the country that you live in the Green party should have a reasonable chance of a seat (though I am saying that as someone who lives in Brighton and has a green council and a green MP (who are both incredibly useless) so my perception might not be the most accurate...)

So basically in these elections I would probably vote for who you agree with. In the parliamentary elections I do tend to be a bit more tactical.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads