The Student Room Group

KCL's Reputation.

I'm in Canadian high school, considering studying law in the UK. I've been offered a spot at KCL with a 27000 pound scholarship, one of the full Dickson Poon ones (that's over three years, not annually),

I've also been given offers to all the top Canadian business schools. I applied to business in Canada as law is purely a graduate study in North America.

What I'm trying to assess is the strength of KCL's reputation. I'm trying not to be a "reputation whore" but since a foreign law degree is not particularly usefully, a school with prestige is kind of important.

So, what do you all think of KCL? What are some schools in North America that you feel it is comparable to?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's comparable with NYU, for the regard in which it is held and for other obvious reasons.

I think it is not comparable in specifically this undergraduate admissions context with UoT. Because a Canadian student going to UoT has gotten into the best regarded school in her home country, or there is anyway none better, while a British student at KCL cannot make the same claim.
Original post by CanuckKid
I'm in Canadian high school, considering studying law in the UK. I've been offered a spot at KCL with a 27000 pound scholarship, one of the full Dickson Poon ones (that's over three years, not annually),

I've also been given offers to all the top Canadian business schools. I applied to business in Canada as law is purely a graduate study in North America.

What I'm trying to assess is the strength of KCL's reputation. I'm trying not to be a "reputation whore" but since a foreign law degree is not particularly usefully, a school with prestige is kind of important.

So, what do you all thing of KCL? What are some schools in North America that you feel it is comparable to?

Why is it you want to study law? If by your own admission going to KCL would award you a 'useless degree' (presumably with regards to employment prospects in Canada), then why consider it in the first instance? Particularly if you're not a 'reputation whore' :lol:

UofT is a perfectly good University with a strong reputation for excellence, and it offers you a workable law degree (as apposed to a 'useless' one). It's a no brainer from where I'm sat...

Unless you are a reputation whore!! You whore. :wut:
Reply 3
Original post by pmc:producer
Why is it you want to study law? If by your own admission going to KCL would award you a 'useless degree' (presumably with regards to employment prospects in Canada), then why consider it in the first instance? Particularly if you're not a 'reputation whore' :lol:

UofT is a perfectly good University with a strong reputation for excellence, and it offers you a workable law degree (as apposed to a 'useless' one). It's a no brainer from where I'm sat...

Unless you are a reputation whore!! You whore. :wut:

Haha. My offer to UofT is for arts. You can't study law in Canada til you have an undergraduate, and sadly arts is Canada is a bit of a joke. Unis are subsidized on the basis of offering lots of places, so a ton of kids who are average students study arts at top schools like UofT, UBC and McGill.

The Canadian offer I have narrowed it down to is Queen's Commerce, which is Canada's best undergraduate business program, and arguably the single most competitive program in Canada. Queen's business is great, however it is not well known as a university overall, just their commerce program, which is known for rivaling top american schools like Wharton (UPenn) in terms of placement. The trouble is, I'm just not that interested in Buisness, it's more of a practical route to what I am interested in: Law.
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
It's comparable with NYU, for the regard in which it is held and for other obvious reasons.

I think it is not comparable in specifically this undergraduate admissions context with UoT. Because a Canadian student going to UoT has gotten into the best regarded school in her home country, or there is anyway none better, while a British student at KCL cannot make the same claim.

Well, I'd disagree about UofT being Canada's best undergraduate; I would say they are overated for all but graduate studies. Still, that's an argument for another day.

Still, thank you for your reply. NYU is considered to be an excellent school in Canada, better than UT, and marginally weaker than Columbia. I would probably put it in the top 10 in North America, yet KCL, at least on the UK tables, ranks quite low, behind Unis that are unheard of in NA like Bath Leceister, Lancaster, and Bristol. While I'm sure they are great schools, do you have any idea why there is such discrepancy between UK rankings at what seem to be your perception?
Haha. My offer to UofT is for arts. You can't study law in Canada til you have an undergraduate, and sadly arts is Canada is a bit of a joke. Unis are subsidized on the basis of offering lots of places, so a ton of kids who are average students study arts at top schools like UofT, UBC and McGill.

The Canadian offer I have narrowed it down to is Queen's Commerce, which is Canada's best undergraduate business program, and arguably the single most competitive program in Canada. Queen's business is great, however it is not well known as a university overall, just their commerce program, which is known for rivaling top american schools like Wharton (UPenn) in terms of placement. The trouble is, I'm just not that interested in Buisness, it's more of a practical route to what I am interested in: Law.

I hear you brother.

Then yes, KCL will set you in good stead, and coupled with the free tuition leaving you just the living costs to cover (which will be relatively high in London, but achievable), there doesn't seem to be any reason not to go for it.

At least if all you need is an undergraduate degree to then go on and study Law in Canada. It carries the 'reputation' to get you on to a top graduate program undoubtedly.
Well, I'd disagree about UofT being Canada's best undergraduate; I would say they are overated for all but graduate studies. Still, that's an argument for another day.

whether it is overrated or not is by the by. We are talking about (international) perceptions.

...KCL, at least on the UK tables, ranks quite low, behind Unis that are unheard of in NA like Bath Leceister, Lancaster, and Bristol. While I'm sure they are great schools, do you have any idea why there is such discrepancy between UK rankings at what seem to be your perception?

The domestic league tables you mention, the newspaper tables, are produced for (the anxious parents of) 17 year olds and take into account factors such as the cost and quality of accommodation, the counselling and careers service, levels of self-reported student satisfaction and the kinds of other considerations that bear on the undergraduate experience. The international tables don't consider whether the accommodation was recently wallpapered, still less give it any weight, and instead concentrate almost exclusively on staff research output. This is why there can be seeming discrepancies.

But why is the discrepancy so marked with regard to specifically KCL? Perhaps because for British kids it is often not all that attractive: London is terribly costly and not to everyone's taste and there are anyway 3 'better' schools within a mile of this one. But for academic staff, often recruited internationally, the opportunity to live and work in London is hugely appealing.
Reply 7
Original post by Hormonal
It's comparable reputation wise to the mid/lower Ivy League.

[INDENT]Thanks for your reply. The lower Ivy League, by which I presume you mean schools like Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown and NYU, are considered to be an excellent schools in Canada, better than any in Canada, and among the best in North America, yet KCL, at least on the UK tables, ranks quite low, behind Unis that are unheard of in NA like Bath Leceister, Lancaster, and Bristol. While I'm sure they are great schools, do you have any idea why there is such discrepancy between UK rankings at what seem to be your perception?[/INDENT]

KCL, at least on the UK tables, ranks quite low, behind Unis that are unheard of in NA like Bath Leceister, Lancaster, and Bristol

For reference, here's a North American equivalent of the domestic league tables that have you exercised. It is the Forbes ranking: http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

You will notice that Harvard manages the trick of being best in the world and 8th in the US. Cal Berkeley, that global top-ten powerhouse and the only university in the world with designated Nobel Laureate parking spots, is #22.

It's different metrics, is all.

If I were you I'd go to King's. It's a good enough school, and very well regarded for Law, and that scholarship sounds super and will impress.
Reply 9
For reference, here's a North American equivalent of the domestic league tables that have you exercised. It is the Forbes ranking: http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

You will notice that Harvard manages the trick of being best in the world and 8th in the US. Cal Berkeley, that global top-ten powerhouse and the only university in the world with designated Nobel Laureate parking spots, is #22.

It's different metrics, is all.

If I were you I'd go to King's. It's a good enough school, and very well regarded for Law, and that scholarship sounds super and will impress.

You see, a "good enough school" is a hard sell for me. Remember, a foreign law degree really can't be used to practice in Canada, not without a hellish conversion process. I'd have to use my undergrad to apply to law school, which is redundant and has it's own challenges. I see KCL getting ripped on these forums, and that doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Where would you see it against other UK schools? Would it have more in common with UCL and LSE, or Bristol, Warwick, Manchester and Notts?

So, what do you all think of KCL? What are some schools in North America that you feel it is comparable to?

I don't know about law back home but it is devilishly difficult to become a lawyer here with many more people applying for training contracts etc than there are positions. So if you are going to do law you will probably not end up as a lawyer.

The degree is good as a stepping stone to other things. KCL is a wonderful uni - London is one of the greatest cities on earth - you would be mad to pass up this opportunity

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law

Where would you see it against other UK schools? Would it have more in common with UCL and LSE, or Bristol, Warwick, Manchester and Notts?

that question doesn't really make sense. There are in all of those insitutions departments which better their counterparts at all the others.

I think Law done at KCL is as impressive as Law done at any of these. It is one of the strongest departments at that university.

I see KCL getting ripped on these forums, and that doesn't exactly instill confidence.

if you mean by people who study there, then it should have you concerned.

If you mean by people who don't, what do they know? KCL takes stick domestically because (affectionately?) mocked by students at UCL and the LSE. And the jackasses on here jump in with it to be in the know. Sensibly, you might think that having these as rivals, that they care enough to make the joke, might be a backhanded compliment.

Something that I've seen on here recently, and which is evidence of the power of branding, is reference to "Strand Polytechnic", a joke name given to King's by the other prestigious London Universities, where the reference is being made by people who apparently believe (what is absolutely not the case) that KCL once was that. At the time that name was coined, the polytechnics were still in existence and there was no such thing as a former poly, such that it could only have been understood as a joke. Now, though, there is a generation of 17 year olds trying to work out which universities have changed status. Possibly this misconception on some people's parts is hurting it on TSR...?

I dunno. King's is a good school. If you think it's underregarded in the UK, perhaps that's for you a good thing, and it hardly matters if you're not intending to stay on in the UK. And if it is better (or over-?)regarded in your home country, that's good too. You can ride the discrepancy and benefit by it.

I myself am currently torn between studying in Canada and going to KCL so it is nice to have someone in the same position as me!!! I have decided that (as long as I get the grades) I will be going to KCL. The idea of doing an undergraduate in Canada before having to do another degree before my first degree is even worth anything doesn't appeal to me. It's a waste of time. Your degree from the UK can be equivalent in Canada and if not you can take one year conversion course, which I am looking into. KCL is an excellent university and I honestly don't think I have loved any other uni in England or in Canada as much. I would say take the offer, but only if you're sure it's what you want to do.
Reply 13
Original post by Melon girl
I myself am currently torn between studying in Canada and going to KCL so it is nice to have someone in the same position as me!!! I have decided that (as long as I get the grades) I will be going to KCL. The idea of doing an undergraduate in Canada before having to do another degree before my first degree is even worth anything doesn't appeal to me. It's a waste of time. Your degree from the UK can be equivalent in Canada and if not you can take one year conversion course, which I am looking into. KCL is an excellent university and I honestly don't think I have loved any other uni in England or in Canada as much. I would say take the offer, but only if you're sure it's what you want to do.

I've done quite a bit of research on this, and I would hold up on the idea that you can just do a "conversion course." Even if you do the NCA, which will likely be two years, as you lack an undergrad, two years of highly expensive extra education, you still aren't promised an articaling spot. Foreign trained lawyers are frowned upon unless they are Oxbridge, and even they have some difficulty.

You should look into how Law firm hiring actually works; it largely takes place on campus in Canada. Do not count on this being a shortcut. It is not. If you want to be a lawyer in Canada, do your undergrad, write the LSAT, and go to Canadian law school. I'm only considering this route because I A. Have a scholarship, and thus won't suffer to much financial hardship, and B. Am not sure I want to be a lawyer at all, or in Canada, I just find law interesting.

The best thing for my own Canadian law career would be Queen's Commerce, than law school. I would have an edge in terms of hiring because my Undergrad is useful.

Do not got to the UK if your sole intent is to practice in Canada. I can't stress this enough.

If I were to decide to got back to Canada, I would go to law school, using the KCL LL.B as an undergraduate.
I've done quite a bit of research on this, and I would hold up on the idea that you can just do a "conversion course." Even if you do the NCA, which will likely be two years, as you lack an undergrad, two years of highly expensive extra education, you still aren't promised an articaling spot. Foreign trained lawyers are frowned upon unless they are Oxbridge, and even they have some difficulty.

You should look into how Law firm hiring actually works; it largely takes place on campus in Canada. Do not count on this being a shortcut. It is not. If you want to be a lawyer in Canada, do your undergrad, write the LSAT, and go to Canadian law school. I'm only considering this route because I A. Have a scholarship, and thus won't suffer to much financial hardship, and B. Am not sure I want to be a lawyer at all, or in Canada, I just find law interesting.

The best thing for my own Canadian law career would be Queen's Commerce, than law school. I would have an edge in terms of hiring because my Undergrad is useful.

Do not got to the UK if your sole intent is to practice in Canada. I can't stress this enough.

If I were to decide to got back to Canada, I would go to law school, using the KCL LL.B as an undergraduate.

Oh sorry, I'm not applying for Law I've applied for Medicine so I'm guessing the two routes are very different. For me, all I need to do is some exams and then a one year conversion to ensure I've got Canadians health ideas etc.
Reply 15
Oh sorry, I'm not applying for Law I've applied for Medicine so I'm guessing the two routes are very different. For me, all I need to do is some exams and then a one year conversion to ensure I've got Canadians health ideas etc.

Ohhh, my bad. Sorry to bite your head off. I have no idea for medicine, but given the demand for doctors in Canada, I imagine that it can't be nearly as hard as Law, where there is an excess of applicants for every job.

A friend of mine is actually doing Medicine at St. Georges next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ohhh, my bad. Sorry to bite your head off. I have no idea for medicine, but given the demand for doctors in Canada, I imagine that it can't be nearly as hard as Law, where there is an excess of applicants for every job.

A friend of mine is actually doing Medicine at St. Georges next year.

Hahahha it's no problem at all. That's nice, are they coming from Canada to the UK?
Reply 17
Hahahha it's no problem at all. That's nice, are they coming from Canada to the UK?

Yeah, he got offered some obscene scholarship, so he decided to go.
I cannot comment with any authority on the comparative reputation of KCL. I know someone who studied there who enjoyed it and who got a well paid job at the end.
Reply 19
that question doesn't really make sense. There are in all of those insitutions departments which better their counterparts at all the others.

I think Law done at KCL is as impressive as Law done at any of these. It is one of the strongest departments at that university.

if you mean by people who study there, then it should have you concerned.

If you mean by people who don't, what do they know? KCL takes stick domestically because (affectionately?) mocked by students at UCL and the LSE. And the jackasses on here jump in with it to be in the know. Sensibly, you might think that having these as rivals, that they care enough to make the joke, might be a backhanded compliment.

Something that I've seen on here recently, and which is evidence of the power of branding, is reference to "Strand Polytechnic", a joke name given to King's by the other prestigious London Universities, where the reference is being made by people who apparently believe (what is absolutely not the case) that KCL once was that. At the time that name was coined, the polytechnics were still in existence and there was no such thing as a former poly, such that it could only have been understood as a joke. Now, though, there is a generation of 17 year olds trying to work out which universities have changed status. Possibly this misconception on some people's parts is hurting it on TSR...?

I dunno. King's is a good school. If you think it's underregarded in the UK, perhaps that's for you a good thing, and it hardly matters if you're not intending to stay on in the UK. And if it is better (or over-?)regarded in your home country, that's good too. You can ride the discrepancy and benefit by it.

I don't really know if I want to stay in the UK or not, but it's important to me that my university carries enough weight to open the doors I need to stay if I choose to. I imagine it's a lot harder for internationals to find placements than EU/ UK people, and so I need to overcome that.

Beyond that, I am spending a fair bit of money (about what it would cost to stay at home) to study at KCL, between living costs and international tuition fees. An LL.B is not a particularly useful degree to me, and what I'm giving up is. I want to know that the school that I'm giving up my business degree for is worth it, and it's only really worth it if it is a top school in terms of name brand. I know it's silly to be so concerned with reputation, but in my case it really does matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending