The Student Room Group

Channel 4 setup UKIP and epicly fail as Romanian backs Farage

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/20/Romanian-agrees-with-farage

"Of course," said Gordan, "...he was right, Romania is not a civilised country... this is not a race issue, I do not think Nigel Farage is racist. I think he's learned something from this influx of Romanians, some of them because are mixed up with gypies... it's just politically incorrect to call them gypies anymore... you can't... we can't even tell them apart. They have bad habits of exploiting their women and children and they are unruly".

Challenged again by Snow, who was clearly seeking a different response, Gordan said: "My argument is not about race, it is about right and wrong. Britain is the most civilised country in the world and if people come here they should be civilised."

What is your view of Romanians agreeing with Farage's statement. What is your view of the journalism of channel 4 in this instance should they be more balanced in what was a clearly biased section of the news?

Scroll to see replies

It is what we have been saying all along.

Romania is a poor country that still needs to shake off the excesses of communism. They are decent and good people, but they have little to offer this country until their own country catches up economically. They have a problem with crime and poverty, especially with the Roma Gypsies. They have a poor educational system, and poor health service, and there aren't many skilled jobs going. I'm actually going Romania this summer in order to see for myself what Romania is really like.

It has nothing to do with race. If you don't understand the problems in Romania, go and live with a Romanian family for a few weeks, instead of sitting in front of your computer in your leafy middle class suburb and bumming of the Guardian. Do your own research.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was watching this with my mum at the time and nearly fell on the floor laughing when she basically agreed with Farage and said she wouldn't want to live next door to criminals here or in Romania either, hahaha. A lot of what she said was correct, it isn't a race issue - it's about right and wrong. Romania isn't a race. And Nigel Farage isn't xenophobic, his wife and kids are foreign.

It was funny because Channel 4 had tried to be as unbalanced as possible and asked leading questions trying to frame Farage and it back-fired massively - right in their face, haha. They literally had spent twenty minutes or nearly half the news trying to smear him and then it ended with that - classic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Not to comment on the video but it does the whole topic a disservice to treat it like a racism issue when immigration is fundamentally often an economic and social concern. For those emigrating and for the country receiving.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Not to comment on the video but it does the whole topic a disservice to treat it like a racism issue when immigration is fundamentally often an economic and social concern. For those emigrating and for the country receiving.

Agree 100%
Reply 5
Original post by Ace123
What is your view of Romanians agreeing with Farage's statement.

Not particularly surprising is it? There's an awful lot of racisim in eastern europe, especially towards gypsies or gypies or whatever you want to call them.
Romanians who come here (have there actually been any?) are subject to our laws. That is a much more efficient system for filtering out the "uncivilised" ones than blocking immigration from one country entirely.

Incidentally, I do agree with the assessment that Britain is (one of) the most civilised countries in the world from a law and order perspective, and eclipses a lot of other Western European nations and America in this regard.

Though in other ways even Romania is more civilised than us: for example, they have proportional representation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by the mezzil
It is what we have been saying all along.

Romania is a poor country that still needs to shake off the excesses of communism. They are decent and good people, but they have little to offer this country until their own country catches up economically. They have a problem with crime and poverty, especially with the Roma Gypsies. They have a poor educational system, and poor health service, and there aren't many skilled jobs going. I'm actually going Romania this summer in order to see for myself what Romania is really like.

It has nothing to do with race. If you don't understand the problems in Romania, go and live with a Romanian family for a few weeks, instead of sitting in front of your computer in your leafy middle class suburb and bumming of the Guardian. Do your own research.

OH, and you've lived with Romanians yourself have you?!
Romania is a developing country. It is as corrupt as african nations in the sub sahara and offers nothing to europe. I hope we never allow another poverty stricken backwater to be admitted into the eu again
Reply 9
Nigel Farage never said he doesn't want Romanians in this country. He said he might be "concerned" if a group of 10 Romanian men suddenly set up shop in the house next door, considering a large influx of Romanians come to Britain and the London area specifically to profit in organised crime.

Is everyone really saying if 10 unemployed Sicilians, Albanian, Romanian men or whatever turned up in the little house next door you wouldn't bat an eyelid? Or of any nationality for that matter, but particularly from those places where organised crime as us westerners perceive it has for a long time been part of the history and culture?

I'm sure Romanian families, good people with skills who want to work here and contribute to our prosperity would prefer to have the priority to come here over criminal gangsters from their own country they came to escape from and who give Romanians a bad name.
Original post by Aurangzeb
OH, and you've lived with Romanians yourself have you?!

Not romanians, but a lot of poles and other eastern europeans. Im going Romania over the summer, and a fair few of my friends have lived with Romanians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Not romanians, but a lot of poles and other eastern europeans. Im going Romania over the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gosh...the irony
Coming over to our country. Stealing our Polish people's jobs. It's disgusting.
Original post by SamTheMan95
Coming over to our country. Stealing our Polish people's jobs. It's disgusting.

I agree these god damn british people need to go back to their country and get out my britian!
Original post by Aurangzeb
Gosh...the irony

Haha you misunderstood. I have lived around Romanians and I have lived directly with Polish people (in a youth hostel). I have more experience than the majority of people on this forum anyway.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

Trying tell that to the politically correct cosmopolitan left, they will call you a racist.
Original post by scrotgrot
Romanians who come here (have there actually been any?) are subject to our laws. That is a much more efficient system for filtering out the "uncivilised" ones than blocking immigration from one country entirely.

Incidentally, I do agree with the assessment that Britain is (one of) the most civilised countries in the world from a law and order perspective, and eclipses a lot of other Western European nations and America in this regard.

Though in other ways even Romania is more civilised than us: for example, they have proportional representation.

Preventing crime is useful thing too....

And the Roma minorities are treated terribly in Romania.
Reply 17
Original post by Pindar
Nigel Farage never said he doesn't want Romanians in this country. He said he might be "concerned" if a group of 10 Romanian men suddenly set up shop in the house next door, considering a large influx of Romanians come to Britain and the London area specifically to profit in organised crime.

Just says a group of Romanians on their website, nothing about numbers or sex. :s-smilie:
Original post by Falcatas
Preventing crime is useful thing too....

And the Roma minorities are treated terribly in Romania.

Yes, the contention I am making is that, shock horror, Romania's 21 million people are likely to display the full gamut of integrity, from unimpeachable honesty to inveterate criminal. Just like every other country around the world. So barring entry for Romanians would not be an efficient or effective use of crime-prevention resources.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not romanians, but a lot of poles and other eastern europeans. Im going Romania over the summer, and a fair few of my friends have lived with Romanians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've lived with Bulgarians before and my 'leafy suburb' has the highest Polish population in the country. I'm still not seeing your point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending