hannahlouise_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! I can't seem to find a thread about the National 5 Computing exam, which is on Friday.

I am struggling to find any resources and websites to use to revise. I normally use BBC Bitesize but that is hopeless for Computing Science. Does anyone have any methods to revise or need any help?

Oh and how did everyone find that dreaded assignment? I wrote 33 pages and got 58/60
WithoutMuchHope
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hannahlouise_)
Hello! I can't seem to find a thread about the National 5 Computing exam, which is on Friday.I am struggling to find any resources and websites to use to revise. I normally use BBC Bitesize but that is hopeless for Computing Science. Does anyone have any methods to revise or need any help?Oh and how did everyone find that dreaded assignment? I wrote 33 pages and got 58/60
Congratulations, 58/60 is a phenomenal mark! I don't do computing but I have friends who do, and their course was just a mess. They had no teacher for most of it, and for the prelim were just given a load of print outs and told to read them and learn. Was the 58/60 part for your programming section? In that case you already have 40% of your grade. If possible you could buy a brightred revision guide (they're pretty good). I found another website for computing science for CfE, I hope it's helpful. http://www.trinity.s-lanark.sch.uk/C...013/index.html
hannahlouise_
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Miriam_)
Congratulations, 58/60 is a phenomenal mark! I don't do computing but I have friends who do, and their course was just a mess. They had no teacher for most of it, and for the prelim were just given a load of print outs and told to read them and learn. Was the 58/60 part for your programming section? In that case you already have 40% of your grade. If possible you could buy a brightred revision guide (they're pretty good). I found another website for computing science for CfE, I hope it's helpful. http://www.trinity.s-lanark.sch.uk/C...013/index.html
Oh thankyou! We worked for a few months on it, and ourteacher was getting quite annoyed at the SQA for it! Yeah I think so. We had tomake a HTML website and add a program to it also.Oh and thanks for the website! Will be agreat help!
Ecasx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello! I can't seem to find a thread about the National 5 Computing exam, which is on Friday.

I am struggling to find any resources and websites to use to revise. I normally use BBC Bitesize but that is hopeless for Computing Science. Does anyone have any methods to revise or need any help?

Oh and how did everyone find that dreaded assignment? I wrote 33 pages and got 58/60
There are literally no resources for it. Int 2 past papers don't help much either, the courses are so different. I have Physics the day before Computing so I'm just studying like **** today.

My assignment was 11 pages and 54/60. Really should've put more effort into it though, after I'd finished I just played games for a week.
hannahlouise_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ecasx)
There are literally no resources for it. Int 2 past papers don't help much either, the courses are so different. I have Physics the day before Computing so I'm just studying like **** today.

My assignment was 11 pages and 54/60. Really should've put more effort into it though, after I'd finished I just played games for a week.
The assignmentwas awful! It took soooo long. We only had about2 weeks of learning theory so thats great! *yay* There is actually nothing, soI am using the mandatory content and just making lists and stuff. I swearcomputing is the hardest to revise for. No resources anywhere *sadface*
Ecasx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The assignmentwas awful! It took soooo long. We only had about2 weeks of learning theory so thats great! *yay* There is actually nothing, soI am using the mandatory content and just making lists and stuff. I swearcomputing is the hardest to revise for. No resources anywhere *sadface*
Most of my class is Nat 4 so my teacher ended up teaching them more than us. I'm finding huge gaps in my knowledge, going through stuff... I'm not even sure if my teacher taught us pseudocode correctly :/
mdh17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
SQA has a document on its website (for all National 5 subjects) with guidance on the use of past paper questions, i.e. which questions you should do from the past papers. There aren't that many, but it's better than nothing.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Comp...PPGuidance.pdf
hannahlouise_
Rep:
?
My computing teacher is ace! He put a load of stuff on this Google drive! If you need help, use this. There are powerpoints/worksheets/summary sheets
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Xc&usp=sharing
evefleming3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My teacher never told us what we got in the assignment

www.pgscomputing.co.uk

My schools resources if that's any help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ecasx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How are fixed loops and conditional loops written in pseudocode? And how are variables declared in pseudocode? Is it 'DECLARE x AS INTEGER' for example, compared to Visual Basic which uses 'DIM'? Anyone know? I have no notes on these. Thanks.
evefleming3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ecasx)
How are fixed loops and conditional loops written in pseudocode? And how are variables declared in pseudocode? Is it 'DECLARE x AS INTEGER' for example, compared to Visual Basic which uses 'DIM'? Anyone know? I have no notes on these. Thanks.
Variables are declared as DIM
Not sure about loops, think it could possibly be IF, ELSE, WHEN, NOT etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ecasx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by evefleming3)
Variables are declared as DIM
Not sure about loops, think it could possibly be IF, ELSE, WHEN, NOT etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks - my teacher's been teaching us to use 'DECLARE' all year. Aren't fixed loops as simple as 'REPEAT x TIMES... END REPEAT', or 'FOR counter = 1 TO x... NEXT'?

The reason I'm asking about conditional loops in pseudocode is because I know four types in Visual Basic - 'DO WHILE... LOOP', 'DO UNTIL... LOOP', 'DO... LOOP WHILE', and 'DO... LOOP UNTIL' - yet I know only of two types in pseudocode and don't know if the Visual Basic Code would be acceptable: 'WHILE... END WHILE' and 'REPEAT... UNTIL'.

The lack of clear, comprehensive instructions in the SQA's pseudocode specification is disgraceful.
mdh17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ecasx)
Thanks - my teacher's been teaching us to use 'DECLARE' all year. Aren't fixed loops as simple as 'REPEAT x TIMES... END REPEAT', or 'FOR counter = 1 TO x... NEXT'?

The reason I'm asking about conditional loops in pseudocode is because I know four types in Visual Basic - 'DO WHILE... LOOP', 'DO UNTIL... LOOP', 'DO... LOOP WHILE', and 'DO... LOOP UNTIL' - yet I know only of two types in pseudocode and don't know if the Visual Basic Code would be acceptable: 'WHILE... END WHILE' and 'REPEAT... UNTIL'.

The lack of clear, comprehensive instructions in the SQA's pseudocode specification is disgraceful.
If you want to use the Haggis pseudocode, then it seems that they simply use an assignment statement to declare variables, e.g. "SET foo TO bar".

Conditional loops in Haggis seem to be written like:
"REPEAT
[code here]
UNTIL foo = [number]"
Where "foo" is any variable. Omit the square brackets.

I'm not entirely sure about fixed loops because I couldn't find an example of one when I was scanning through the SQA specimen paper. There are some in the Hodder Gibson model papers though. Their layout is quite inconsistent; they seem to be written differently from question to question. Going from the model papers and the pseudocode specification, this would probably be acceptable:
"FOR counter FROM [number] TO [number] DO
[code here]
END FOR"
Omit square brackets.

However, if you wanted to, you could just use Visual Basic. It does say "using pseudocode or a language of your choice". Whichever you find easier, I suppose.
Ecasx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mdh17)
If you want to use the Haggis pseudocode, then it seems that they simply use an assignment statement to declare variables, e.g. "SET foo TO bar".

Conditional loops in Haggis seem to be written like:
"REPEAT
[code here]
UNTIL foo = [number]"
Where "foo" is any variable. Omit the square brackets.

I'm not entirely sure about fixed loops because I couldn't find an example of one when I was scanning through the SQA specimen paper. There are some in the Hodder Gibson model papers though. Their layout is quite inconsistent; they seem to be written differently from question to question. Going from the model papers and the pseudocode specification, this would probably be acceptable:
"FOR counter FROM [number] TO [number] DO
[code here]
END FOR"
Omit square brackets.

However, if you wanted to, you could just use Visual Basic. It does say "using pseudocode or a language of your choice". Whichever you find easier, I suppose.
Thanks, that's helpful and yes, I've noticed random formats for pseudocode throughout questions. It seems like there isn't a standard system, which is absurd considering the whole point of this year's 'pseudocode specification' was to create a standard psueodcode.
wordshark
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wait..... Do you need to know pseudocode for the actual exam!!! My teacher never taught us it due to the fact we didn't have enough time and we wasted most of the year on nat 4 coursework which was pointless since I never actually got the chance to do the N4 added value unit. For the whole year all we have done is structure diagrams. In my prelim I just wrote in VB: Is that acceptable?
4th year has been a complete mess--the teacher never taught us any theory so for the prelim we had to self teach. I was the only one in the year to get an A and I only did because of my prior knowledge in computing. We have never even went over JavaScript or HTML in class. I only got 5 days to do my assignment in but I still got a good mark of 56/60.

Did anyone else find the course work excessive? Due to lack of time we were forced to spend the last few months lunches in computing desperately trying to finish things off.
mdh17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by wordshark)
Wait..... Do you need to know pseudocode for the actual exam!!! My teacher never taught us it due to the fact we didn't have enough time and we wasted most of the year on nat 4 coursework which was pointless since I never actually got the chance to do the N4 added value unit. For the whole year all we have done is structure diagrams. In my prelim I just wrote in VB: Is that acceptable?
4th year has been a complete mess--the teacher never taught us any theory so for the prelim we had to self teach. I was the only one in the year to get an A and I only did because of my prior knowledge in computing. We have never even went over JavaScript or HTML in class. I only got 5 days to do my assignment in but I still got a good mark of 56/60.

Did anyone else find the course work excessive? Due to lack of time we were forced to spend the last few months lunches in computing desperately trying to finish things off.
Yeah, I was drowning in coursework. The assignment was very annoying and took up so much valuable time that we could have been using to revise. I also had to use lunchtimes to finish the assignment.

You don't need to use pseudocode -- you can use VB if you like. In the introduction to a code question it does say "using pseudocode or a language of your choice".

Do you want help with JavaScript and HTML?
wordshark
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mdh17)
Yeah, I was drowning in coursework. The assignment was very annoying and took up so much valuable time that we could have been using to revise. I also had to use lunchtimes to finish the assignment.

You don't need to use pseudocode -- you can use VB if you like. In the introduction to a code question it does say "using pseudocode or a language of your choice".

No it's fine but thanks for offering. I spent the whole day reading through textbooks and websites and I think I have a fairly good understanding now. This whole day has been exhausting. I'm quite confident with the questions for section 1 and have been getting 100% in the model papers.

Side Note: Did anyone find the Hodder and Gibson model papers disappointingly poor and rushed? I felt like the marking schemes were limited in content and gave next to no alternative answers like the specimen paper. The questions themselves were poorly made.
Ecasx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mdh17)

Can you also please explain arrays in loops to me in Visual Basic? For example (this is all I know):

DIM bpm(7) AS REAL
DIM total AS REAL

total = 0

FROM counter = 1 TO 7
bpm = INPUTBOX("Please enter bpm.")
total = total + bpm
NEXT

- Is there any way that I could/should put a bracket in the loop that counts which variable is going through the loop?

- For example, something like 'total = total + bpm (counter)'?

Is this how an array/conditional loop works in Visual Basic?
mdh17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ecasx)
Can you also please explain arrays in loops to me in Visual Basic? For example (this is all I know):

DIM bpm(7) AS REAL
DIM total AS REAL

total = 0

FROM counter = 1 TO 7
bpm = INPUTBOX("Please enter bpm.")
total = total + bpm
NEXT

- Is there any way that I could/should put a bracket in the loop that counts which variable is going through the loop?

- For example, something like 'total = total + bpm (counter)'?

Is this how an array/conditional loop works in Visual Basic?
It helps to remember that in a loop, everything within the loop is executed and then the counter is increased by 1. To calculate the average BPM in the specimen paper, the Visual Basic code would be:

For counter = 1 To 7
total = total + bpm(counter)
Next counter
average = total / 7

Basically, every time the loop runs, the code is executed and then the "counter" variable has its value increased by 1. If you imagine that the first time the loop runs, the "bpm(counter)" part is replaced with "bpm(0)", it might make it easier to understand. This selects the first value from the bpm array. The program then runs, the "counter" variable is increased by 1, and the loop runs again. So the second time it runs, "bpm(counter)" is replaced by "bpm(1)" and so on. Once the loop has completed, the program now has a total of the bpm for the week. After that it's just a simple calculation to find the average.

I hope that makes sense. If there's anything you'd still like clarified then I'd be happy to do so.
Ecasx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mdh17)
It helps to remember that in a loop, everything within the loop is executed and then the counter is increased by 1. To calculate the average BPM in the specimen paper, the Visual Basic code would be:

For counter = 1 To 7
total = total + bpm(counter)
Next counter
average = total / 7

Basically, every time the loop runs, the code is executed and then the "counter" variable has its value increased by 1. If you imagine that the first time the loop runs, the "bpm(counter)" part is replaced with "bpm(0)", it might make it easier to understand. This selects the first value from the bpm array. The program then runs, the "counter" variable is increased by 1, and the loop runs again. So the second time it runs, "bpm(counter)" is replaced by "bpm(1)" and so on. Once the loop has completed, the program now has a total of the bpm for the week. After that it's just a simple calculation to find the average.

I hope that makes sense. If there's anything you'd still like clarified then I'd be happy to do so.
This makes perfect sense. I understand now an example from the specimen paper(s) where instead of counter, 'days' was used. I thought this was specifically applicable in the context of 'bpm (per day)' whereas in reality its just a replacement for 'counter'. Thanks a lot.

So, in essence, it's necessary to add a bracket after the array/variable at every point in the loop, and also, closing the loop requires 'counter' to be mentioned after 'Next' (assuming counter is used)?

Can you think of how this could be converted to pseudocode? I'm assuming it would be very similar, but are there any crucial differences?

Again, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads