Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i thought i could see america from southport beach (to be fair, you can on a really really clear day see the isle of man)
    I thought I could see the Eiffel Tower from the park - well you're s'possed to trust your parents, right? turns out it's an electricity pylon thingy :rolleyes:

I also thought abatoirre (sp?) was a really pretty word and wanted to call my rabbit that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    I thought I could see the Eiffel Tower from the park - well you're s'possed to trust your parents, right? turns out it's an electricity pylon thingy :rolleyes:

SAme here! Although it was out of my brother's bedroom window and there were two of them. I was utterly confused.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I used to think that the car was made to move by waggling the steering wheel about - the whole pedal thing just didn't occur to me for a long long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    SAme here! Although it was out of my brother's bedroom window and there were two of them. I was utterly confused.
    duh :rolleyes:

the other one was blackpool tower.

lou xxx
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    OOh found an old thread on the same topic (different website) were I'd posted tonnes of these things:

At one point the news kept talking about the viking missions to mars...I thought they were talking about the real vikings and kept looking for long boats

I used to believe they sold naughty drugs at superdrug

I beleived I had monsters living in my wardrobe but they were friendly monsters who kept me safe from robbers - I thanked them by plastering my wardrobe with stickers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabas...?thread=250770 for the entire thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    ...I used to think that "beseeted" was a religious word (when the Vicar says "please be seated") and I didn't get what it actually meant for a long time. What used to confuse you when you were little? Did you ever do/think anything that was perfectly acceptable to you as a child but now you realise how wrong you were?
    When i was 2, i called every person walking past me a b****** and fortunately as i couldn't pronounce it properly i'd say "ju ba a" rather than "you are a b******" All the elder ladies used to say "what a cute lttl boy!"even irritating me more....
    I used to tip my sisters babyseat upside down whilst she wa shanging upside down, .... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    We'd always go down to crosby beach and on a clear day my parents would say "ooh you can see Wales today"

I spent hours scanning the water for whales
    Lolz...That is a fantastic one.....

ReputationRep:
    When i found out that Australia was at the bottom of the world compared to england me and my brother spent a whole summer digging a big hole in the garden with our plastic spades determined to dig a tunnel to Australia and then walk down it!
    It got to about a metre deep! which is quite deep for little children and we were like "ooh not long now!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    when i was about 6 or 7, i was driving in the car with my dad, (i can still remember exactly the spot on the road) and i said

"dad, you know in the olden days, were you in black and white too, like on the tv, and in the pictures??"

now that's stupid!

:eek:
    haha i asked my mum that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    I also thought abatoirre (sp?) was a really pretty word and wanted to call my rabbit that
    Well I had a doll called Jesus Catherine. It clearly had unresolved gender issues. I also had one called Sunday.

I asked my mum if she was born in the Victorian times (I had heard about them at school but didn't really know when they were )

I read "The Little Vampire" books, and for the next few months I wouldn't sleep with the light off, and kept a glass of blackcurrant squash outside my door so they would have that instead of my blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well I had a doll called Jesus Catherine. It clearly had unresolved gender issues. I also had one called Sunday.
    I wanted to call a doll I had Lucifer (I had read it in Sunday school). My mum refused, so I called her Lucy instead

ReputationRep:
    I never really watched tv at home till I was about 10 or even later, haha my older brother used to ask me how to put the tv and video and stuff on because our dad had a thing where we weren't allowed to touch the TV...

hehehe I watched and learnt and then told him how to use it all too...

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a push chair that you could put two dolls in, ahhh I used to love my dolls. My grandma used to buy me those really posh expensive dolls that weren't meant for playing with, so they had to stay in their boxes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I used to think that the car was made to move by waggling the steering wheel about - the whole pedal thing just didn't occur to me for a long long time.
    yeh, that's still common thought of mine now, and i'm learning to drive!!

and i too thought superdrug sold all kinds of drugs!

fun times!

ReputationRep:
    I used to believe that if you breathed when you were walking under scaffolding something TERRIBLE would happen, so even to this day I run under scaffolding holding my breath hehe, if someone tries to talk to me I am not a happy bunny.

Oh I also had this strange belief that If you had your duvet covering you when you were asleep, nobody would be able to stab you because they wouldnt be able to work out how deep under the covers your body was hehe.

And my older sister managed to convince me that unless I gave all my teddy bears to her to join her club they wouldnt be alive. MY parents thought it was really strange when all my cuddly toys were suddenly in her room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I used to have a push chair that you could put two dolls in, ahhh I used to love my dolls. My grandma used to buy me those really posh expensive dolls that weren't meant for playing with, so they had to stay in their boxes
    Oh god!!!!You just reminded me of my doll lily.....When i was 2 i used her to clean the kitchen floor with sunflower oil....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    When my sister was born, I was given a doll, so I didn't feel left out (in fact, that one was the one called Sunday). I loved it lots and lots, and took it with me to visit my mum and sister in hospital. When I was leaving, I got chased by the nurses, cos I was holding it so carefully and talking to it, they thought I was stealing a real baby!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    *all* of my dolls were called louise at one point (she was my best friend and had long blonde hair and the my little pony nursery and always got to be snow white/cinderella when we played)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Oh I also had this strange belief that If you had your duvet covering you when you were asleep, nobody would be able to stab you because they wouldnt be able to work out how deep under the covers your body was hehe.
    yes! well, when i was about 5, my dad came home drunk one night, from his usual weekly drinking nights. (this is gonna make my dad seem bad! ) and he was in a really bad mood, slamming doors shut and kicking furniture etc. etc.

well i thought that he was gonna stab me, so i slept with my head at the wrong end of the bed. this is because if he did come to chop my head off, he would only chop off my feet and i could live without those!

silly me!

and another thing was that when we first got my 2 kittens, when i was 4 or 5, i was positive they knew how to turn on the hob on the cooker! and i cried myself to sleep for about 6 months, thinking i was gonna be burned to death by my pet kittens!

why, oh why, do we think such daft things!?!?

ReputationRep:
    up till i was about 4 i thought that being x and a half years was younger than being x years- annoyed me very much when mum told some woman on the bus i was 3 and a half...

i also thought that cartoon characters were people in suits, cleverly made to look like cartoons, cos nobody can draw that well......

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.