Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
removed
BBeyond
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
I chose the Eva Smith one but most people in my school chose the gender one it seems. I thought it was quite a good exam I had a lot to talk about How many pages did you do?
BBeyond
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AlphaNick)
I'm not sure, I just know that there were two full pages left in the AQA answer booklet
Fair, seems like you did quite a lot, you reckon you got an A*?
Pandorax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found the exam okay, quite a lot to write about but some of my points were a bit dragged Dx
For inspector calls I wrote 3 pages
For the Mice of Men one I did about 7 pages or 6
BBeyond
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pandorax)
I found the exam okay, quite a lot to write about but some of my points were a bit dragged Dx
For inspector calls I wrote 3 pages
For the Mice of Men one I did about 7 pages or 6
It was the opposite for me (But I did TKAM instead of OMAM)
irMike
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wrote about Eva, I'd prepared for her thankfully, her and Birling were the only two i prepared for for AIC. As for OMAM, I prepared for Lennie, but not George of the relationship theme, but I felt It went alright, I only wrote about 6 pages, I'm confused how people have managed to write about 10, My handwriting ended up extremely messy, which worries me. But as a whole I think It went Ok, hopefully a B, I got an A in the coursework, maybe If could get an A in poetry if I revise it well, but now I have to do ICT
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BBeyond)
It was the opposite for me (But I did TKAM instead of OMAM)
I was going to go back to Inspector Calls but I ran out of time XP
ScarletXxXRose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what the hell??????!!!!!
why have people written that much, i only wrote around 4 pages overall, i just froze for 5 minutes at the start
stupid mr. bruff
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an A* on my coursework, this exam could have slipped but I don't think it was any worse than an A. But poetry, which I am a lot better at, should secure my grade. But I'm genuinely not sure whether this exam was an A or A*.
Coursework is 25% so if you get an A*/A in poetry you should come out with an A/A* which is good : D
ScarletXxXRose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what did everyone write for part a for omam,
i just did a lot of generic points cus i was panicking about running out of time
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ScarletXxXRose)
what did everyone write for part a for omam,
i just did a lot of generic points cus i was panicking about running out of time

Note Points:

1) Trusting relationship
2) Rely on each other for survival
3) Lennie admires george etc.
4) Animal, george has lennie on a leash
All I can remember now tbh xD
AlexH97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Didn't think it went too bad.. I had a feeling that the stuff I had prepared (Danforth mostly & Curley) wouldn't come up, luckily the OMAM question was pretty simple and I managed to write like 4/5 pages on it, and the same went for the Crucible one. Got an A in my coursework and I find the poems easier but I'm still aiming for a B as I hate Literature, think Language is a lot easier tbh.
legoody
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It went pretty well I think! It's very hard to tell how Lit exams go but I've had full marks in them before and my CA is at full marks so even if I have mucked up I should be alright.

Am worried I overwrote slightly, atleast compared with those I have already spoke with... 11 sides :s
chxrley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I only wrote like two pages for each question...i thought i did alright until i read this
Rubato
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was quite sure it wouldn't be Danforth but proctor so that was nice xD and I didnt care about Omam as I always just make it up on the spot. I'm predicted an A*but I'm not really sure what I got cause I didn't quite understand the change bit in the crucible question so fail on my part xD And I kinda rushed the Omam part b and I think my answer was kinda generic cause I didnt have enough time to go in depth :/
GoldGhost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I wrote 6 sides in total, can't remember. John Proctor came up last year so I didn't revise him which I regret now -.- Didn't go much into language analysis because I was pushed for time, was hoping for an A* in literature, not going to happen now. Just need a miracle in the poetry and I believe my coursework might be 1 mark off full UMS.
irMike
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found it alright, By my standards anyway, I'd be very happy with a B for this test

For Eva I wrote about:

- The fact she's pretty, makes us feel more sympathy as it seems like she's lost more, she's lost a potentially happy life. So we're more likely to change our ways basically

- She's honourable, she refuses Erics money so she's quite clearly a nice person, she doesn't deserve to die, more sympathy again

- She's lower class, this makes it seem her inferior to those of higher class, It seems like those with power over her were the reason for ehr downfall, and the power was gained by social class, so the audience are therefore encouraged to dislike social class.

For George and Lennie, From the passage I wrote:

- Parent, Child like relationship, shows it is caring just like a Parent cares for their child

- 'Shapeless hats' Is symbolic of their irregular relationship, it's not normal to have a friendship, which tells us ranch workers are supposed to be lonely

- Lennie 'Walked heavily' I suggested was symbolic of the extra weight he puts on George's shoulders, He comes across as a burden, portraying relationships in a more negative light

For the Context, Rest of the novel question

- Curley and his wife share a not-so loving relationship, Steinbeck suggests that even marriage can't end loneliness on a ranch

- Characters react to Lennie and Georges relationship as if it is rare and strange, showing it is unusual and not the norm, against ranch workers are destined to be lonely. Slim says 'He doesn't know why' it's rare, which suggests there's no explanation, It's fate

- Characters like Carlson do not understand friendship, he asks why George is upset after killing Lennie, as one of the more experienced workers this may suggest that having worked on a ranch for so long he's become used to the cold, lonely environment, as if he thinks that Ranch workers should be lonely, relationships are not supposed to be on a ranch

And obviously with each paragraph i connected it to the loneliness of migrant workers in 1930's America, they travelled to work, not to make friends, they didn't have enough time to build up relationships as they went from place to place

How does this sound to you lot? Does It look like a B grade piece of work? That's what I'm aiming for, In every paragraph i wrote the effect on the reader, and Steinbecks Intetions, In most paragraphs I analysed one word or phrase (Close analysis) and in about half of my paragraphs I used multiple interpretations and chose one I felt was the more likely. My only concern is I had to rush, my handwriting was very unneat, and that my wording may not have been 100% cleareer, but from the content, Am I likely to hit a B grade?
irMike
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Those all sound really good. I can't tell what your mark would be because it is heavily dependent upon close analysis, so analysing the effect of single words, etc. But your ideas sound interesting and original which would fulfil some of the criteria well.
Thanks, I did some close analysis, more often with Eva than in OMAM, sometimes I'd either forgot or didn't know what to pick out

For example I used the quotation 'A girl of that sort' and picked out 'Of that sort' and said basically that it shows Mrs Birling groups all people of working class together, as if they're a separate species, showing she classifies them by their social class, and I picked out 'Girl' which sounds patronising, as if she looks down on her, implying she has the power over Eva (I went into more detail in both cases, but that's the idea I explored anyway). I surprised myself, I've never been able to do that, I've been watching so many youtube videos and posts on here, It's really improved the way I've analysed stuff without me even knowing, So relieved now, that exam has been stressing me out for ages.
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by irMike)
I found it alright, By my standards anyway, I'd be very happy with a B for this test

For Eva I wrote about:

- The fact she's pretty, makes us feel more sympathy as it seems like she's lost more, she's lost a potentially happy life. So we're more likely to change our ways basically

- She's honourable, she refuses Erics money so she's quite clearly a nice person, she doesn't deserve to die, more sympathy again

- She's lower class, this makes it seem her inferior to those of higher class, It seems like those with power over her were the reason for ehr downfall, and the power was gained by social class, so the audience are therefore encouraged to dislike social class.

For George and Lennie, From the passage I wrote:

- Parent, Child like relationship, shows it is caring just like a Parent cares for their child

- 'Shapeless hats' Is symbolic of their irregular relationship, it's not normal to have a friendship, which tells us ranch workers are supposed to be lonely

- Lennie 'Walked heavily' I suggested was symbolic of the extra weight he puts on George's shoulders, He comes across as a burden, portraying relationships in a more negative light

For the Context, Rest of the novel question

- Curley and his wife share a not-so loving relationship, Steinbeck suggests that even marriage can't end loneliness on a ranch

- Characters react to Lennie and Georges relationship as if it is rare and strange, showing it is unusual and not the norm, against ranch workers are destined to be lonely. Slim says 'He doesn't know why' it's rare, which suggests there's no explanation, It's fate

- Characters like Carlson do not understand friendship, he asks why George is upset after killing Lennie, as one of the more experienced workers this may suggest that having worked on a ranch for so long he's become used to the cold, lonely environment, as if he thinks that Ranch workers should be lonely, relationships are not supposed to be on a ranch

And obviously with each paragraph i connected it to the loneliness of migrant workers in 1930's America, they travelled to work, not to make friends, they didn't have enough time to build up relationships as they went from place to place

How does this sound to you lot? Does It look like a B grade piece of work? That's what I'm aiming for, In every paragraph i wrote the effect on the reader, and Steinbecks Intetions, In most paragraphs I analysed one word or phrase (Close analysis) and in about half of my paragraphs I used multiple interpretations and chose one I felt was the more likely. My only concern is I had to rush, my handwriting was very unneat, and that my wording may not have been 100% cleareer, but from the content, Am I likely to hit a B grade?

I think you will get an A/A* to be honest, a lot of your ideas are perspective and unique, but it depends on how you expressed your ideas in general in the test : p
I know that I got panicked near the end, and one or two of my points were rushed and may not make complete sense xS But that's just me because I think of a point, then loose it as I write xD My hand writing was seriously unneat as well, but they are trained to read hand writing so ;w;
irMike
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I said similar things. When the Inspector said there were "millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths left with us" - I said that 'millions' was almost as if he was trying to put value in the lower class; that they are responsible for the millions that people like Birling harvest every year. I also said that the use of 'left with us' is inclusive and suggests that the upper class now have a responsibility to look after them - it diminishes the concept of class and suggests that Eva Smith is just as deserving of aid as the Birlings are.
Wow, that's seriously clever. I used to hate Lit so much before I understood It, It's actually a very interesting subject when you learn about how you can interpret different things. I talked about 'Million and Millions of Eva Smith's' as him just telling us that this is happening around the world all the time, as if Priestley is directly telling the audience that it needs to stop, but I think that's the more general interpretation that most people come up with, Interpretations like the one you came up with I'm guessing is what they want when they say 'Insightful' right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads