The Student Room Group

What would be useful pre-revision to do before starting GEM course?

I did a very anatomy-heavy first degree, so was hoping to re-revise that as pre-revision for when my GEM course starts later this year. Was hoping to become a walking Gray's Anatomy textbook.

The thing is... would it even help me if I knew that textbook inside out? I have heard that anatomy isn't really too important for medical students anyway, and isn't featured prominently on the exams. And what doctor's don't know, they just look up, so it isn't useful to have the whole thing memorized. So is revising it going to be a waste of time?

If you were trying to get a good head-start on the 1st year of GEM so as not to get overwhelmed (and I have heard by many that it's extremely heavy-going);

1). Would you consider anatomy revision to be a waste of time?

and

2). What would you revise?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cactus_farmer
I did a very anatomy-heavy first degree, so was hoping to re-revise that as pre-revision for when my GEM course starts later this year. Was hoping to become a walking Gray's Anatomy textbook.

The thing is... would it even help me if I knew that textbook inside out? I have heard that anatomy isn't really too important for medical students anyway, and isn't featured prominently on the exams. And what doctor's don't know, they just look up, so it isn't useful to have the whole thing memorized. So is revising it going to be a waste of time?

If you were trying to get a good head-start on the 1st year of GEM so as not to get overwhelmed (and I have heard by many that it's extremely heavy-going);

1). Would you consider anatomy revision to be a waste of time?

and

2). What would you revise?

Er, how about none? The summer holiday you get before starting GEM is the last proper summer holiday you'll ever get. Go and get drunk and enjoy the weather, wtf do you want to do pre-revision for? Everything has a time and a place: medical school is where you learn anatomy, the summer before you become a medical student is the time to see all your old friends before you head off and do something totally different for the next four years.
Original post by Democracy
Er, how about none? The summer holiday you get before starting GEM is the last proper summer holiday you'll ever get. Go and get drunk and enjoy the weather, wtf do you want to do pre-revision for? Everything has a time and a place: medical school is where you learn anatomy, the summer before you become a medical student is the time to see all your old friends before you head off and do something totally different for the next four years.

Yes, I'll be doing all of the above as well, but the thing is I just got laid off my job last week, and instead of doing some rubbish temporary job (which is all I'm qualified to get and all I'll have time to do), I thought I might use the time to do something productive...
Yes, I'll be doing all of the above as well, but the thing is I just got laid off my job last week, and instead of doing some rubbish temporary job (which is all I'm qualified to get and all I'll have time to do), I thought I might use the time to do something productive...

Yes but it won't be productive, that's the point. And I'm a GEM student, so I think I'd know.

The rubbish temporary job might be a snoozefest, but it'll bring in money which is definitely something you'll need in GEM - doesn't sound all that unproductive to me tbh.
Though your intentions are good, learning new material without the direction of being at school can lose its context.

Especially with something like anatomy you can be burdened with unnecessary information.

Enjoy your summer off if you say you don't want to do a summer job. Volunteer, learn a new language, go to the commonwealth games, do something else. But I wouldn't spend my summer learning anatomy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Democracy
Yes but it won't be productive, that's the point. And I'm a GEM student, so I think I'd know.

The rubbish temporary job might be a snoozefest, but it'll bring in money which is definitely something you'll need in GEM - doesn't sound all that unproductive to me tbh.

Democracy, could you please answer the questions in the OP?

And if you really think that no amount of pre-revision is going to be productive... why?
Original post by Newtothis83
Though your intentions are good, learning new material without the direction of being at school can lose its context.

Especially with something like anatomy you can be burdened with unnecessary information.

Enjoy your summer off if you say you don't want to do a summer job. Volunteer, learn a new language, go to the commonwealth games, do something else. But I wouldn't spend my summer learning anatomy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I know it sounds odd, but I like memorizing anatomy. I find it enjoyable, so it's not a chore for me.

And the level I'm coming in at is only Gray's Anatomy For Student's. My first degree was in Biomed specializing in anatomy (the course was popular with intercalating medics), so I have experience of being taught it, and that textbook, thick as it is, is roughly pitched at the right level. Pretty much everything in there was necessary information for my final exams.

I would really like to know, from any medics out there already on a course, if knowledge of anatomy is at all useful in passing exams?

And what resources did you revise from to take your first year (particularly if you did the GEM course) - what did you find useful?
Thanks. I know it sounds odd, but I like memorizing anatomy. I find it enjoyable, so it's not a chore for me.

And the level I'm coming in at is only Gray's Anatomy For Student's. My first degree was in Biomed specializing in anatomy (the course was popular with intercalating medics), so I have experience of being taught it, and that textbook, thick as it is, is roughly pitched at the right level. Pretty much everything in there was necessary information for my final exams.

I would really like to know, from any medics out there already on a course, if knowledge of anatomy is at all useful in passing exams?

And what resources did you revise from to take your first year (particularly if you did the GEM course) - what did you find useful?

Yeah it is useful in exams. Perhaps even required. :mmm:

However, many students do just fine, if not well using the allotted teaching time on their course.

That's why I would guess Democracy is saying it is a waste of summer time to study something that will be taught during term time anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont bother at all... I'm from a non science did no pre work and I'm doing just fine.
You get taught it all again and you'll regret doing some and waisting your summer - especially when you're feeling very burnt out and willing to do anything but revise more - And you get taught it again... And everyone hates a gunner.

Go on holiday or earn some more money before you start GEM... Definately go on holiday and binge watch what ever you want to on Netflix (i recommend 9 seasons of criminal minds)

Of course it is.

But mate, seriously - take the advice that has been given to you in this thread.

Enjoy your summer. Be as unproductive as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending