Is the main library at University of Manchester short of laptop spaces?

Watch
kaffee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I checked the University of Manchester library website and it gave a breakdown of the study spaces available at the main library, and stated there are 392 laptop spaces out of 1780 study spaces. What does that mean? They have only 392 power sockets? What are 'laptop spaces' exactly? How can you call a space a study space when you can't use your laptop in it?
tillytots
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol there are definitely more than 392 'study spaces' the library spans over 4 floors with about 5 different wings. There is a shortage of plug sockets (which the university has addressed) so I'm guessing that's what the 392 is (there are little booths for laptops as well as long desks which you can still use your laptop on.) There is plenty of space to work. If you want to use a plug point during the exam period you just have to get there early to get one or make sure your laptop is well charged.

However we also have the Learning Commons, which has plug points at every work station.
kaffee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by tillytots)
Lol there are definitely more than 392 'study spaces' the library spans over 4 floors with about 5 different wings. There is a shortage of plug sockets (which the university has addressed) so I'm guessing that's what the 392 is (there are little booths for laptops as well as long desks which you can still use your laptop on.) There is plenty of space to work. If you want to use a plug point during the exam period you just have to get there early to get one or make sure your laptop is well charged.

However we also have the Learning Commons, which has plug points at every work station.
Hi thanks very much for your reply. I read the learning commons is opened 24/7? How many work station do they have? Are they always fully taken up? And is the learning commons within few minutes walking distance from the main library?

About the main library again.. the website says there are 1780 study spaces, out of which 392 are laptop spaces. You said 'if you want to use a plug point during the exam period you just have to get there early'. What about out of the exam period? Will it still be that hard trying to get a plug point, or would it be easier? So.. to be exact, what are 'laptop spaces'? Are they like tables with a dedicated plug socket ON the table top itself? If that's the case, do you mean to say there 392 dedicated plug sockets, BUT within the remaining 1388 there is still hope of finding plug sockets near enough?

I guess its funny im being so pedantic. haha. But I can't decide between which offers to accept. I'm leaning towards manchester, but the league tables and the general description of the social life there is pulling me back a bit. I get the idea that wow they have many smart students there who don't have to study to pass, just drink all night. Either that or the university expect as part of the curriculum, you to get drunk all night, because a smart student don't have to study that much; thus you don't need that much study spaces!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kaffee)
Hi thanks very much for your reply. I read the learning commons is opened 24/7? How many work station do they have? Are they always fully taken up? And is the learning commons within few minutes walking distance from the main library?

About the main library again.. the website says there are 1780 study spaces, out of which 392 are laptop spaces. You said 'if you want to use a plug point during the exam period you just have to get there early'. What about out of the exam period? Will it still be that hard trying to get a plug point, or would it be easier? So.. to be exact, what are 'laptop spaces'? Are they like tables with a dedicated plug socket ON the table top itself? If that's the case, do you mean to say there 392 dedicated plug sockets, BUT within the remaining 1388 there is still hope of finding plug sockets near enough?

I guess its funny im being so pedantic. haha. But I can't decide between which offers to accept. I'm leaning towards manchester, but the league tables and the general description of the social life there is pulling me back a bit. I get the idea that wow they have many smart students there who don't have to study to pass, just drink all night. Either that or the university expect as part of the curriculum, you to get drunk all night, because a smart student don't have to study that much; thus you don't need that much study spaces!
Yes, the Learning Commons is open 24/7, and it's just opposite the main library, literally a 2 minute walk away. It always used to be an absolute nightmare trying to find a place in the library towards the end of term and during exam time. It can still be a challenge, but that has eased since the LC opened. I'm not sure how many places there are there in the LC, but it's a fairly big building - four storeys high (including a basement), all of which is study space, and it looks like this.

With regards to study spaces in the Main Library, are you referring to this? http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/...udy-spaces.pdf If so, I'll take an educated guess that what they mean by laptop spaces are those desks that have a socket directly next to them / on them. There are also separate PC spaces, and some desks that don't have an electricity supply.

These, of course, are not the only study spaces on campus - there are also eight smaller libraries dotted around campus, and more computer clusters (live availability is listed here - bear in mind the time of night / year that you're looking at the list, because some will shut overnight; either way there are 1654 computers listed there, including the ones in the library, and I know that there are some more that aren't listed there e.g. in Arthur Lewis) So, just looking at the computers campus-wide and the main library's desk spaces (i.e. we haven't taken into account all the desks in the learning commons and eight smaller libraries), that's 3176 places - or enough to house about 7% of the students at any given moment. I'll take an educated guess that the total is nearer 5000 - which would be enough for 12.5% of all students. Bear in mind that some students prefer to study at home, and others will be in a lecture / on a break / eating dinner / doing something else, that's actually quite a lot of spaces.

I'm afraid, however, that you do have to study to get a degree from Manchester! I watched someone try to get through first year whilst partying and not studying - he failed the year. It's more of a work hard, play hard mentality. It's expected that you will spend some of your time partying, and because a lot of people see partying as one of the perks of moving away to uni, the nightlife can be emphasised a little in the marketing (one of several reasons that I decided not to go to one of my other choices was the lack of nightlife, so people do make decisions based on it). You'll tend to find that there's a lot more partying in first year than there is in subsequent years - I made it out to a club precisely twice in third year, though I did go for quiet pints at the pub on a more regular basis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads